What's new

I need recommendations for mushy tearjerkers (1 Viewer)

richard plumb

Stunt Coordinator
Always, with Richard Dreyfuss and Holly Hunter. If anyone comes round to watch DVDs I hide that one. I always start crying in anticipation, before the sad bits.

Sniff....

Frederick_Falk

Second Unit
Here is a list of a couple of my all-time favorites...

Always (Richard Dreyfuss/Holly Hunter)

Fly Away Home (Love story between girl and the Geese she raises)

Somewhere in Time (Christopher Reeve/Jane Seymour)

Benny and Joon (Johnny Depp)

As Good as it Gets (Jack Nickelson/Helen Hunt)

-----

(Tom Hanks)

Sleepless in Seattle (Meg Ryan)

You've Got Mail (Meg Ryan)

Castaway (Helen Hunt)

Big (Elizabeth Perkins)

------

Dave (Kevin Kline/Sigourney Weaver)

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
You cannot have a thread asking for mushy tearjerkers without mentioning Douglas Sirk. Magnificent Obsession is not on DVD yet, but Criterion has done nice releases for All that Heaven Allows and Written on the Wind.

George Stevens' Penny Serenade is another one. Unfortunately, the only DVD I am aware of is from Madacy.

Regards,

PaulaJ

Supporting Actor
What, have you all forgotten Untamed Heart? ;-) ;-)
It's mushy all right, and definitely a tear-jerker, if you like that kind of thing (I do, I do!) ;)
A tear-jerker that is also a great movie:
Powell and Pressburger's A Matter of Life and Death
(also try their lovely I Know Where I'm Going!)
-- Paula

David Benkert

Stunt Coordinator
Sean,

Somewhere in Time is on DVD. It came out as a standard edition and then a special edition. It is in WS, but not enhanced for WS if that matters to you.

The picture quality on my 65" WS is not that great, but it looks good enough on my 27".

John Lloyd

Second Unit
If you liked When a Man Loves a Woman, check out Days of Wine and Roses Jack Lemmon and Lee Remick both give terrific performances.

Nick Eden

Stunt Coordinator
What a great topic.

My recommendation (although not available on DVD) would be "Random Harvest" with Ronald Colman and Greer Garson. I defy anyone not to be moved when watching this film.

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
Glory
- It's a historical drama that takes place during the Civil War. 99.99% of the people (guys and girls included) have at least cried at the end of this movie.
Terms of Endearment
- I second or third this one.
Steel Magnolias
- This is another one
The Dirty Dozen
- see Sleepless in Seattle ;)
The Green Mile
- I almost cried watching this one. Shut up, Dome, men don't cry..... :laugh:

Paul_L

Grip
Days of Wine and Roses?!?!?? That's a bit depressing. Jack Lemmon tells his kid mommy's never going to come back b/c she is a drunk...? How mushy and wonderfully tearjerking.

Speaking of drunks, how about Creator with Peter O'Toole?

Derrick_Ellis

Stunt Coordinator
Wow, I'm suprised no one mentioned Sweet November, and My Best Friend's Wedding. As funny as My Best Friend's Wedding is, there are some parts that may have you reaching for the tissue box. Of course Say Anything is a shoe-in.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Sean,
I definitely know that what moves me seems to be quite different from most people. All Sleepless in Seattle and You've Got Mail move me to do is puke. Nothing personal to those who recommended them.
I gave suggestions from my own collection and I can't believe I forgot Always. That is one of my favorites, even though I usually don't like Speilberg. Unfortunately, the sound on the DVD is a little screwy and can be annoying at times. It is an early, half-assed attempt from Universal.
I still recommend you check out Man in the Moon which has a great performance from Reese Witherspoon in hher first movie roll. I found out about that one in this forum. I also can't recommend Waking the Dead enough. It is a very low budget movie and is far from perfect, but I think it is quite deep and moving.
Somewhere in Time is basically the "Chick Flick" to end all chick flicks. It is quite good and the SE looks good. I don't think it is quite as emotionally moving as some of the others, but it is very popular.
I'll add two more. Immortal Beloved with Gary Oldman and Cinema Paradiso. Both of these movies are slow moving and deliberate. Some people think they are just slow, but that is actually what helps them work for me. I get slowly drawn in and then the final scene hits me right between the eyes. Both of those get me every time.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samrinriya
Recent bookmarks