What's new

I need recommendations for mushy tearjerkers (1 Viewer)

Sean Conklin

Screenwriter
Hi, I am a sucker for love stories.

Anyone else want to admit to loving mushy, tear invoking films?

My 3 favorite movies that really move me, and make me gooey inside are:

Ever After

The Wedding Singer

Never Been Kissed

I would like to know if there are any other romantic movies starring Drew Barrymore.

Also I would like suggestions on ANY good mushy romance films please.

Please try not to make fun of me:b

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
I'm not a big fan of stupid romance movies, but I am a fan of any well-made movie.

Here's my suggestions:

Casablanca

The Princess Bride

It Happened One Night

Psycho (Well, maybe not...)

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Here's a few.

City of Angels

Man in the Moon (not Man on the Moon)

Waking the Dead

Leaving Las Vegas

Julian Lalor

Supporting Actor
Terms of Endearment (although it's much better than "mushy"); pretty much anything with Bette Davis (pre-1950s), particularly Now, Voyager and Dark Victory; Love Story (although I hated it); Out of Africa; Camille...

Sean Conklin

Screenwriter
'Somewhere in Time' sounds like a popular recommendation! Can you guys tell me when it was made, is it available on DVD, who's in it, a little info about the story?

Darrel Johansen

Stunt Coordinator
Nice topic. I went through my DVDs and came up with these. Not necessarily all man/woman romantic tear jerkers, but emotionally involving:

Shakespeare in Love

Beauty and the Beast (1946)

Edward Scissorshands

Frequency

Juliet of the Spirits

Days of Heaven

Miracle on 34th Street

Moonstruck

Romeo and Juliet (Zeffirelli)

Sound of Music

Starman

Summertime

West Side Story

Phil Kim

Stunt Coordinator
For something traditional: Bridges of Madison County
If you are feeling adventurous: Breaking the Waves

Angsty

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Angela
I'll second the vote for Moonstruck and add:
While You Were Sleeping to the list ...*sighhh*
Ang :)

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Sean, the film stars Christopher Reeve and Jane Seymour, and I believe it came out in the early to mid 80's. I don't want to spoil it for you, but the basic plot is about a gentleman played by Reeve who sees an old painting of a beautiful woman, he's told that it's a portrait of a woman who once lived their about 60 or so years ago. He becomes obsessed with this striking beauty in this painting, and decides that somehow he must meet her, so he basically hipnotizes himself into believing that he is indeed back in time so he can meet the woman played by Semour.
The film has some very interesting twists that I think you'll enjoy.

Sean Conklin

Screenwriter
John, Thank you! This really sounds intriguing, is it available on DVD (in OAR of course)? If it is I'm getting it.
Also Shakespeare in Love sounds good.
And yes Edward Scissorhands is one of my favorites BTW, thank you. I also own City of Angels and while it is a good film, for me it does not have the tearjerking power Ever After has. I don't think I've seen a movie YET that compares to Ever After in this respect
I just watched Ever After again, I can't get enough of this movie!! It may be just a cinderella story but it is a very triumphant, beautiful film. And yes it really makes me cry!
Drew really melts my heart, I can't help it. :)

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
I would like to recommend Return To Me, which came out last year. It stars David Duchovny & Minnie Driver, and is a wonderful, warm-hearted romance. Unusual for modern films, the focus is on falling in love, not in lust. It's a movie you could watch with your mother and not be embarassed. ;)

Cynthia

Stunt Coordinator
Richard Linklater's Before Sunrise is my favorite. Ethan Hawke and Julie Delpy are great together.
Another one I like a lot is Where the Heart Is, though it's not just a romance. It's all good. ;)
I also love Ever After and Never Been Kissed... but you've already seen those. ;)

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
I can't believe no one has recommended the all-time #1 Chick-Flick (tm) tear-jerker of all time, the Cary Grant, Deborah Kerr An Affair to Remember. (Wonderfully spoofed in the romantic comedy, Sleepless in Seattle, which I recommend highly.)

Regards,

Joe

Rob T

Screenwriter
Probably my favourite romance (or as close to romance as I can get) would be Pretty Woman.
A tearjerker for me is Almost Famous. :)

Steve_Ch

Supporting Actor
>>I can't believe no one has recommended the all-time #1 Chick-Flick (tm) tear-jerker of all time, the Cary Grant, Deborah Kerr An Affair to Remember.

Nate Anderson

Screenwriter
A tearjerker for me is Almost Famous.
Seriously, the ones that get me are both Pretty in Pink and Some Kind of Wonderful (They're basically the same flick).

"And when the red head finally hooks up with her dream guy, this tubby bitch starts crying like a little girl with a skinned knee and shit!"

Sean Conklin

Screenwriter
Pretty in Pink is good, and so is "Some kind of wonderful". Also I like Ghost, pretty good tearjerker, it's right up there on the tear scale!

"Where the heart is" and "Return to me" sound good also(the titles sure indicate good romance).

Also a great one is "Secret Admirer", I would love this one on DVD!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bmoore9
Recent bookmarks