What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

I Love Lucy Season 4 out 5/3/05 (1 Viewer)

Catrina

Auditioning
Hi I'm new to the boards and this is my first thread so everyone please bear with me.;) Anyway for those of you who don't already know. I Love Lucy Season 4 and the reissue of the first season are both going to be released on May 3rd!For more info check out tvshowsondvd.com. Thanks for reading my thread and have a great day.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Don't forget that on the same day Paramount/CBS will come out with a new package of Season 1, in the new "thinpak box" just like S2 and S3. SRP is $30 less!

Catrina, welcome to the HTF!

Andrew Radke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Andrew Radke
I'm SO glad Paramount is repackaging the first season. As I've stated in another thread, the 9 separate discs bundled together was definitely a space hog. Add also the insane retail price of the set, there was no way in hell I was going to get it, even though I am a huge fan of the show.

Obviously, holding out paid off. With this new repackaging and the lower price, I'll be first in line to pick it up, in addition to seasons 2, 3 & 4. I'll admit though, I feel bad for those who have already purchased the 9-disc set, because to many it will mean plunking down more cash for the slimmer set, unless of course they're perfectly content with the existing release. Either way, I'm glad I stood my ground on this one. It ultimately paid off in the end. :)

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
I've already purchased all those individual 9 discs, and I'm a stickler for uniformity -- all the same, I can't be re-buying everything just to be anal. Then again, if I sell my 9 DVDs to the local used store, I should be able to get at least $40 :D

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Lucy fans ---> Check out DeepDiscount for "I Love Lucy Season 4" pre-release pricing, and take advantage of their mis-pricing while you can. (They've got it at a very odd $11 too low on the MSRP, which makes the take-home price, as of this particular writing, $7 less than Amazon's price. Cool beans indeed. :)) ..........

http://www.deepdiscountdvd.com/dvd.cfm?itemID=PRD088878

"Luuuuuucy! I'm home from the club! And I bought the 4th-Season DVD set for Fred & Ethel for their anniversary!"

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
FYI (for those who might not realize) ...........

Season #4 of "I Love Lucy" contains the very funny episode "L.A. At Last!", which features some funny stuff with William Holden. Such as a pie in Bill's face and Lucy's "nose fire". :) .............

Colby

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Colby
I don't think that's a mistake. They have the 3rd season up for the same price.

Mike Williams

Screenwriter
$42.00 is NOT a mistake. I didn't pay much more than that at Best Buy for Season Three. The poster's message was a little bit misleading as, if you didn't read carefully, you'd think they had it on sale for $11.00. I think that's what David Lambert thought, and what I went to DDD to check out too.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Yep Its Amazon that either made a mistake or they are price gouging because Season 2 and 3 had a list of $59.98 so why wouldn't Season 4. Season 1 would make a little more sense at $69.98 because maybe they don't want to make those who already bought too mad even though I agree with Joe I would never repurchase this just for slimmer cases. That would mean I would also replace almost all my DVD's in the wider cases when they are eventually re-released in slimmer packaging. Fat cases are goo enough for me:D

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
$42 isn't that great a price. I've seen season 3 at warehouse clubs (Sams/Costco) in the mid $30s. My local Walmart sells it for around $44.

Steve

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Oh, I misunderstood. You said "$11 too low". I didn't read it well enough, and thought you were saying that they were only charging $11!
htf_images_smilies_blush.gif

I got the "SRP" from Amazon's listing, as probably did everyone else. It's as good as any to use. Paramount NEVER posts SRPs for multi-disc TV-on-DVD sets. They just say something like "Priced around $45 in the U.S." (just inserting a number there as an example).

As others have said, $42 is in line with the correct price. As you can see from Mike Frezon's 2/1 Weekly Roundup in the HTF Coupons & Bargains section, during the first week of release Best Buy sold Season 3 for $46.99, Amazon was selling pre-orders for $38.49, and Costco - although not listed at the Roundup because they didn't have it on their website (but did have it in stores) - sold it for $44.99 (I helped a friend get one there). Wal-Mart's price on launch day was $44.84 (at least the location near me; they vary prices on new DVDs from store to store).

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
I then misunderstood you, too (David L.), when you said "$11 deal". Maybe we oughta begin anew. LOL. :)

Oh, OK. I see. Didn't know this.

Anyway, DDD has MSRP prices all over the map re. the Lucy sets.

S.1 = $99.95 (but this is still the FIRST 1st-season set; not the re-release).
S.2 = $69.95
S.3 = $59.95
S.4 = $58.95

(For some reason, though, almost all of DDD's "MSRP" listings HAVE to end in ".95". Never have understood why, because SOME items end in ".99". Why they'd have a "fixed" cents figure is odd anyway. But, oh well.)

Anyway, as can be seen, the last 3 seasons all have different MSRPs, according to DeepDiscount. :confused:

----------

DVD Empire is also very inconsistent (even more so than DDD) with regard to the Lucy pricing.

Empire is listing the first (9-Disc) season for $124.99 (MSRP)! Holy hell! They're getting $94.99 from customers for that! Talk about gouge city!

The other seasons @ Empire are also odd in the MSRP variation factor. They are all over the place:

S.2 = $89.95 (!!) :confused:
S.3 = $54.99
S.4 = $69.99

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
I think I'll just keep the Season One Boxed Set I have. No need to get a new one, just for the box space.

Brian W.

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
As one of the schmucks who kept their Columbia House membership going, I already have all but the last disc of Season 4. (Think I'm gonna cancel and wait for the retail releases after that, though.) Since past CH releases have matched the store versions in content, here's a little rundown of what to expect:

- Same format as previous seasons, but they did not continue with the animated commercial segues that graced Season Three, except for one or two episodes. I guess they couldn't find them???

- Though the extras are the same -- original opening supplements, flubs, etc. -- you can expect fewer restored music cues and scenes.

- I do wonder if one or more of the episodes in Season 4 have been cut. In particular, I'm thinking of "The Business Manger," where at about two minutes into the episode there is a quick "wipe" into the next scene. It seems uncharacteristic of the editing on the show, and makes me wonder if it's an old syndication edit. I'm just speculating -- I hope I'm wrong.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve

Hi Brian,

Is the runtime of that episode materially different than other episodes? That will usually clue you in to a cut episode.

Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Areles
Recent bookmarks