What's new

I have amazing speakers but I need assistance with choosing a receiver (1 Viewer)

MightyIcculus

Auditioning
Real Name
Eddie
Hi,
I currently am looking for suggestions for a receiver to handle the following speakers:
2 - Klipsch RF-82 Floorstanders - (Cutsheet: http://mediacdn.shopatron.com/media/mfg/3579/media_document/live_1/RF82.pdf?1288063955)
Specs:
FREQUENCY RESPONSE: 33Hz-23kHz ± 3dB
POWER HANDLING: 150W RMS / 600W Peak
SENSITIVITY: 98dB @ 2.83V / 1m
NOMINAL IMPEDANCE; 8 ohms compatible
1 - Klipsch RC-52 Center - (Cutsheet: http://mediacdn.shopatron.com/media/mfg/3579/media_document/live_1/RC52.pdf?1288063897)
Specs:
FREQUENCY RESPONSE: 67Hz-23kHz ± 3dB
POWER HANDLING: 125W RMS / 500W Peak
SENSITIVITY: 96dB @ 2.83V / 1m
NOMINAL IMPEDANCE: 8 ohms compatible
2 - Klipsch RS-52 Surrounds - (Cutsheet: http://mediacdn.shopatron.com/media/mfg/3579/media_document/live_1/RS52.pdf?1288063956)
Specs:
FREQUENCY RESPONSE: 62Hz-23kHz ± 3dB
POWER HANDLING: 100W RMS / 400W Peak
SENSITIVITY: 95dB @ 2.83V / 1m
NOMINAL IMPEDANCE: 8 ohms compatible
1 - Klipsch RSW-12d Subwoofer - (Cutsheet: http://mediacdn.shopatron.com/media/mfg/3579/media_document/live_1/RSW12.pdf?1288063958)
Specs:
AMPLIFIER BASH: digital hybrid
FTC Rated Power: 625 watts continuous @

MightyIcculus

Auditioning
Real Name
Eddie
Currently I was looking at the following models:
Denon AVR-1913 A/V Receiver
Denon AVR-3312CI A/V Receiver
Marantz SR6006 A/V Receiver
Onkyo TX-NR1009 9.2-Channel Network A/V Receiver
A key thing is I don't really need the multi-room settings and I don't plan on having anything more than 5.1 going.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Sounds like a set-up problem. A speaker that will fill up a room on less than 5wpc...the 247(heck every single AVR you could look at, except maybe Sherwood) has that.
Seriously, your fronts, at 98db efficiency...
1 watt is 98db
2 is 101. (you've already reached pain threshold)
4 is 104
8 is 107
16 is 110 The volume your are starting permanent hearing loss
32 is 113 (your 247 already has this much power, the 1913/6006 probably have less than the 247 does)
64 is 116 (the 1009 and 3312 can get here)

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Now, how "big" is this room?
Where is your sub? (the main cause of "my home theater isn't as impactful as I was expecting..." is lousy subwoofer placement)
Bare floor, carpet?

MightyIcculus

Auditioning
Real Name
Eddie
The room is hardwood floor. The sub is right between the two floor standing speakers. The room is rectangular shaped 14ft x 27ft with 7 1/2 foot high ceilings. It's not an ideal room for these type of speakers as I know they are way too big. Setup is also another problem you are right but unfortunately I'm kindof hosed with that right now. I'm really looking for sound quality and new some of the new features that are supported in the newer receiver. If a cheaper receiver will provide what I need I'm all for it. I don't have a full understanding of what the all the sound specs gain me. thanks for the advice so far. I've been reading reviews and general FAQ's on sound all day so I feel I'm getting closer.
Thanks,
Eddie

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
What is "too large"?
Speakers for the room? Or room for the speakers?
Cause neither one of those makes any sense.
Hardwood flooring, without rugs, is the bane of good sound. You probably have bass nulls all over the room cause there is nothing to absorb sound.
What crossovers are you using in the 247? I assume(you own you should know this) this has variable crossovers like most HK do.
Since your towers are capable, I would set them down at 40hz. Those two will help out with any bass nulls in the room. Another thing you could try is move the sub along the long wall. Start off at 1/3 the way down and keep working towards the middle of the wall.
Find a rug or two and throw those on the floor and you might notice a huge improvement. The only other thing(AVR wise) to do is get an AVR that EQs the sub...all four of your choices do that.
I'll throw another out there since you are "at $1000 already"...
http://www.anthemav.com/products/anthem/a-v-receiver/mrx-300
HK, you have now, and the Anthem* are the only AVR rated by 7. Denon and Onkyo rate theirs x2...then "claim" x7. Not the same thing. Your 247 already has more power than two of the ones you chose(1913 and SR6006) and probably is equal to the 3312. The only one you chose with more power is the 1009.
*Marantz used to rate theirs all channels as well. But since D&M has made Marantz nothing more than a "Denon in a fancy dress"...that has changed.

MightyIcculus

Auditioning
Real Name
Eddie
I guess I believed the speakers were too big for the room but it seems that might have been a bad assumption.
I do have one carpet in the area where the speakers are. I will certainly think about getting another carpet in the room to help with the sounds. Thanks for that advice.
Crossovers is something I did not configure but upon looking at it they were all set to 100 hz. I set them all to 40 hz now. Where you just suggesting I do that for the floor speakers? So far the sound is a somewhat better after this change. I'm not sure I completely understand what the crossover is yet.
I will certainly look at the MRX300 but from what it sounds like so far my current HK is providing me with all the sound quality I could want and most receivers would only be an upgrade in features and needed ports for more devices.
I still need to upgrade my receiver just due to the HK not having enough HDMI ports and would like the additional apps available. At this point I'm afraid if I do upgrade I'm actually going to get a worse receiver.
Thanks for baring with my inexperience. Your help has been great so far.
Eddie

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Setting "all" the crossovers at 40 isn't a particularly good idea either...
The towers reach into the 30s. That is why I said to set them at 40. The other ones reach into the 60hz. I don't know if you can choose 70, but you can choose 80.
The subwoofer should be set no higher than 80.
So, 40/70(maybe 80) and 80 should be the crossovers. Once you set that, re-run EzSet. If it changes your crossovers...change them back to 40/70 and 80.
And about "needing more HDMI"...
Valid reason to update your AVR. The 247 is worth selling on Fleabay or Craigslist. Not everybody needs more than two HDMI. It appears the 247 doesn't have HDMI upconversion, which if you have a Wii or VCR, is another reason to update your AVR.
And I say update, not upgrade. HK already have an impressive amp section. That is, pretty much, the only reason they still survive. If they lose that, they are done.
And, for the record...EzSet, MCACC, Audyssey, YPAO and ARC(not to be confused with HDMI ARC) all come up with different "fixes" to room acoustics. If you have the cash flow, you might take a couple home and try them out. Maybe you like advanced YPAO the best. Maybe you like Aud EQ XT the best...
As a side note...YPAO and MCACC only allow one crossover point. You "can" set your fronts as "large" in both though. They are more than capable of being left out of the bass management.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks