What's new

I am have an issue with my New Panasonic Viera VT20 Plasma TV & My Samsung HT-BD1250 5.1 CH Blu Ray (1 Viewer)

RkoViper81

Auditioning
Real Name
Matt
Alright so I am having this strange problem maybe someone can help me hopefully. I recently upgraded to a new Panasonic Viera 50" Plasma 3D TV from a Samsung series 530 LCD I still have my Samsung 5.1CH Blu Ray home theater system but since I have them connected my home theater system doesnt seem nearly as loud. I am also having an issue with my PS3 not being as loud when I have it playing through my home theater system I have to have it a lot louder then I did when I use to have them connected to my Samsung 40" LCD TV. Can someone please help me.

RkoViper81

Auditioning
Real Name
Matt
I have an optical cable running from the home theater system to the back of the TV & everything else is connected with HDMI cables. I really notice a differance when using the PS3 Call Of Duty Black Ops I use to have the volume somewhere between 9-11 but now if I have it on 11 I barely hear anything.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Welcome to Home Theater Forum Matt. Congrats on your new TV. I just got a VT25 series and love it. You should just have the Samsung Blu-ray home theater system hooked up to a HDMI input on the TV. The optical cable is for use if you are using the built in TV tuner in the Panasonic. If you have a cable or satellite box, you shouldn't have this hooked up.

RkoViper81

Auditioning
Real Name
Matt
Thanks I love the tv also worth the money. So I don't need the optical cable then? I have satellite.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Correct, you don't need the optical cable. Connect all your sources (game, satellite, etc) to the Samsung Blu-ray system. Connect the BD system to the TV via HDMI. This HDMI cable should be the only connection between the Panasonic TV and the Samsung Blu-ray system.

RkoViper81

Auditioning
Real Name
Matt
Alright so I did what you said I unhooked the Optical cord from my TV & home theater system but now when I go to listen to TV with it on I get no sound coming out what so ever so when I go into the home theater's settings & turn on the HDMI & switch back to my Satellite there is no sound. When I go back into the home theater settings the HDMI is off am I missing something? or doing something wrong?

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Just looking quickly at your Samsung, I see there are no HDMI inputs (btw, this is one of the reasons we do not recommend all in one units like this one). You do have 2 optical inputs. This means you can connect your PS3 via HDMI to your TV and you will have to have a separate optical cable from the PS3 to the Samsung. Be sure you turn on the optical and HDMI in the PS3 settings.

If you have a cable box you will have to do the same. HDMI to the TV, optical to the Samsung. If you get your TV via the antenna or you have cable connected directly to the TV (no cable or sat box), then hook the optical out on the TV to the Samsung.

That's about all you can do with this setup. Running the sound through the TV rarely works well (even if you get sound, it will be downgraded to stereo).

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Thanks David. I made the mistake of assuming that since Matt had BD in his HTiB that it would probably have some HDMI inputs too.

RkoViper81

Auditioning
Real Name
Matt
Thanks guys I never realized that either. So I do need the optical cord then? I will also need a seprate one for the PS3? I am still not understanding why the Volume is so much different though can someone explain that to me? what would you guys recommend for a Home theater system?

David Willow

Babbling Idiot
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Originally Posted by RkoViper81

Thanks guys I never realized that either. So I do need the optical cord then? I will also need a seprate one for the PS3?

Yes, but not from the TV (unless your source is the tv - antenna or cable directly connected). Don't spend a fortune on a cable. No need to spend more than a few dollars. Find one locally at Radio Shack or get one from monoprice.com. If you have to go to Best Buy or some similar store, get the generic or store brand.

I am still not understanding why the Volume is so much different though can someone explain that to me?

Running the sound through the TV may influence the output. Different TVs will process it differently. AFAIK, none of them will do a good job. You should also learn how to properly calibrate your speakers (using an SPL meter).

what would you guys recommend for a Home theater system?
That depends on what you have to spend. For lower end (under $1000), the Onkyo systems are the best. You can use your PS3 for bluray. If you have more to spend, then the sky is the limit.

RkoViper81

Auditioning
Real Name
Matt
So let see if I got this right my optical from the TV to the back of the home theater is that correct? Then another optical from the PS3 to the back of the home theater is that correct? if I have it wrong can some please put the steps to how I am suppose to have this hooked up I'm a little confused.....lol sorry if I'm not getting this right

mikec50

Auditioning
Real Name
michael cochran
does the pamasonic have any 3d tv's that you don't have to have glasses to view in 3d is there technology in the works

RkoViper81

Auditioning
Real Name
Matt
I don't believe so Michael but if you are thinking of buying a new TV go with the Panasonic Viera they are the top TV on the market right now & the 3D is Amazing even the 2D picture is Awesome. When I bought mine it also came with a Panasonic 3D Blu Ray player & Avatar 3D which looks Sweet & is exclusive the 3D Tv's normally come with one free pair of 3D glasses although there not as nice as the ones you can buy for about $130.00

RkoViper81

Auditioning
Real Name
Matt
Thanks for all your help guys with an optical cable running from my PS3 to my Home Theater system it fixed the issue I was having with it not being loud. Thanks again

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks