What's new

Hurricane Ivan (1 Viewer)

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
And who says it's peaked already? Mitch and Gilbert each reached 175 to 185 sustained.

Forecasters generally err on the high side of intensity forecasts. They expected Frances to maintain C4 status. Then it weakened and they expected it to maintain C3 status. Then it weakened further until it was a C2 at landfall.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
My friend goes to the medical school on Grenada. I spoke to his mom yesterday. She says she hasn't heard from him. But, did get a call from the sister of the man who owns the hotel where they stay. And she said they were all ok. I am concerned about the looters. I have read reports that the students have been arming themselves with knifes and sticks to protect them.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
The site I use to follow tropical storms is Weather Underground:

http://www.wunderground.com/tropical/

What I like about it is they have all the data for each storm collected together for easy access. In addition to the forecast tracks, you can look at the tracks of the various computer models they run, read the detailed discussions by the forecasters, and even see a historical map of historical tracks showing the tracks of all storms from the same month in previous years that were close to the position of the current storm.

The site is updated very quickly with new forecasts (often ahead of the big sites like Intellicast), and is usually easily accessable when the big sites are being hammered with traffic.

:emoji_thumbsup:

Dave Miller

Supporting Actor
I spent most of yesterday afternoon boarding up my windows and I've only got a little bit more to do this morning. My wife and son will get on a plane Sunday morning to head to Dallas to stay with family for a week. We decided Thursday morning to get her a ticket and in hindsight that's the smartest decision I've made in a while. After Charley, we realized it was very hard to explain to a 13 month old why we had no electricity and a/c for five days.

I will stay to ride out the storm unless it looks like it will be a direct hit on our area. My plan would be to go to Miami late Sunday night to a shelter. That way I can come back fairly quick to secure our property or what's left of it.

I'm not one to complain, but this sure has been a stressful and expensive month getting ready for three hurricanes. I'm a pastor and you can't help but notice that the stress level in people's lives is amazingly high. We came to SW Florida two years ago and prior to Charley this area hadn't been hit in 44 years.

If Ivan hits this area again, it would really be devastating. Can any of you weather historians tell me if a two hurricanes have ever made landfall in the same place within just a couple of weeks?

Peace,

DM

John Alvarez

Screenwriter

That's the biggest bproblem with evacuating to far away places. I want to get back to my stuff quickly. Although we haven't had a direct hit we have had to deal with 4 storms including this one. I was without power for 4 days because of France's.

Eric_L

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric
Boarded up one house, put hurricane shutters on another.
(Hurricane shutters - 2000 lb. puzzle made of razor blades)

Now I am packing and going to join my family on the vacation we planned months ago.

I stayed home to work with the contractor - but he buggered out for the storm.

Bah!

Pete_w

Agent
WTNT61 KNHC 111931
TCUAT
BULLETIN
HURRICANE IVAN UPDATE
NWS TPC/NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL
330 PM EDT SAT SEP 11 2004

DATA JUST RECEIVED FROM AN AIR FORCE RECONNAISSANCE PLANE INDICATE
THAT IVAN HAS REGAINED CATEGORY FIVE INTENSITY ON THE
SAFFIR/SIMPSON HURRICANE SCALE. THE CENTRAL PRESSURE HAS FALLEN TO
AN EXTRAPOLATED PRESSURE OF 914 MB AND THE ESTIMATED SURFACE WINDS
HAVE INCREASED TO 165 MPH...270 KM/HR. THESE NEW VALUES OR FURTHER
UPDATES WILL BE INCORPORATED IN THE NEXT ADVISORY.

FORECASTER AVILA

Dave Miller

Supporting Actor
Eric,

After I finished my boards, I helped a friend in our neighborhood put up his shutters.

Your description...

...is perfect. I thought the same thing.

Peace,

DM

Eric_L

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric
Dave;

I don't know about your friends, but the shutters I put up had also been coated in oil. Makes it extra-challenging! (and preserves the metal against corrosion) I was the first to ever install the shutters and got to find all the missing or improperly installed pieces. Many. Much improvisation.

To anyone who would consider storm shutters - spend the cash and get electric ones. You can use them to darken your house for movies on a whim, and in the event of an approaching storm you get to keep ALL of your fingers intact! (and save yourself about 22 hours of work)

Dave Miller

Supporting Actor
Eric,

Is there a huge difference in cost b/w having the Permanent electric ones installed and having the temporary metal ones installed?

My neighbor down the street bought 14 sheets of the metal ones, covered one bedroom window and his back slider, and spent $300. I can't imagine what my whole house would cost for those. Plywood is so much cheaper.

The friend that I helped put up his metal ones had them b/c they came with the house since it is now part of the latest building code. Very tempting to buy a new house just for that.

I watched Toy Story 2 yesterday and it was kind of cool to have the house that dark during the day to watch a movie.

Ivan looks to be heading elsewhere. The ultimate disaster would probably be a catagory five hitting New Orleans.

Peace,

DM

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm

Ivan has certainly been playing the forecasters for fools.

It's gonna turn...it's gonna turn...it's gonna turn...

for about four days now.... :D

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Yeah, this one is excruciating for those of us on the Gulf Coast. It doesn't help that the damn thing has slowed down so much. At least the 11 AM report has it moving NW and therefore it MAY be starting the long-awaited turn.

todbnla

Screenwriter
Real Name
Todd
We already hear the stores are being hit for supplies and of course lumberyards too. I currently have a garage {read home theater ;)} addition project in the works and my contractor called this morning asking if I wanted to halt work until the storm passed, I told him no, he then told me people have already been asking for him to come board up their windows, whatever the price, their willing to pay...So now the fun starts in our neck of the woods.

IVAN SUCKS!!!:angry:

John Alvarez

Screenwriter
In New Orleans it won't matter if you board. The tidal surge will put everything under water....:frowning:

I have a cousin in Madisonville and I am surprised at how swampy that area is. Lake P will be overflowing.

Kevin T

Screenwriter
good thing i'm going to new orleans tonight for a concert as it may not be there after thursday. here's to hoping mobile is on the west side of the hurricane! good luck to all those on the gulf coast.

kevin t

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks