What's new

Hurricane Ivan (1 Viewer)

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Ivan expected to landfall somewhere between the mouth of the Mississippi River and Panama City, Florida on Thursday.

This satellite will update when you re-load the page:

EDIT: Satellite image removed after Ivan landfall 9/15/04.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
Looks nasty doesn't it? I wonder how Eric Estrada's real estate is doing that he's pushing in Florida?

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Ivan's track seems quite a bit south of where they originally forecast. Barbados was in the bullseye a couple days ago, but the storm is actually passing about 100 miles south of the island.

NHC's 5-day forecast brings this right over Jamaica on Friday/Saturday and into western Cuba on Sunday as a major C4 hurricane. Though if it keeps running south of forecast, it seems it could zip through into the Gulf of Mexico.

Jon_Gregory

Stunt Coordinator
This one needs to stay away from us here in the panhandle of Florida. We have been lucky so far, unlike our neighboors in the south. Pensacola is due for one to hit, but I can not imagine something like a cat 4 hitting. I used to like hurricanes to some extent back when it got us out of school etc... But now that I am a homeowner, it's scary.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Another ominous thing is that these southern Caribbean hurricanes tend to get very intense. If I recall, Gilbert took a similar track to Ivan's, and Mitch was also a southern Caribbean storm. Those were two of the strongest hurricanes ever recorded in the Atlantic/Caribbean.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Updated track takes it a bit to the east of Charley.

EDIT: Image removed after Ivan landfall.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Is this amount of notable hurricanes normal for any given season?

I never really paid attention until this year.

--
H

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
Hey, my town's in the tropical storm warning area :eek: We had a nasty thunderstorm this morning and it's cloudy right now, but nothing that would suggest a tropical storm.

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman
Warnings are usually issued far enough in advance to allow people to prepare. A warning usually means conditions for that warning are likely within the next 24 hours.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm

The amount isn't really unusual, but hurricanes seldom become notable unless they hit land. So far, nearly all the storms that have formed this year have hit the U.S. (Alex, Bonnie, Charley, Frances, Gaston, Hermine...Ivan?). So that's a bit unusual but statistically insignificant since there have also been several years where no tropical storms have hit the US.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Well, Tampa was supposed to get Charley. Maybe this is a "do over" from Mother Nature.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
The track has been updated again as of 11pm. Best guess for US landfall now is Monday night right where Charley made landfall in Florida. The forecast track is nearly identical. :eek:

Todd Hochard

Senior HTF Member
If it holds that current strength, the Keys are likely ruined. The only good thing about it crossing Florida Bay, is that the current track puts in into landfall in the very sparsely populated Everglades. So, currently anyway, Nature takes the brunt of Mother Nature.:)
You know, Florida Bay is so shallow, that this storm, in theory, has the potential to create enough storm surge to uncover the bottom of it. I'd bet that would look, well, biblical.

Duck and cover. At least this one is moving quickly, unlike Frances.

John Alvarez

Screenwriter
This sucks. I just got power here in St. Augustine after 4 days. My house in Miami did okay. My brother in law lives in Wellington just outside of West Palm and had some damage.
Now Ivan...My sister lives on Marathon Key and our Miami house will be on the eastern side of Ivan if it tracks the way they say...:angry:

Eric_L

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric
I've ben trying to find a map of Charley's track so I can overlay Ivan onto it - but not having much luck. Does anyone here have it? The one from the Natnl Hurricane Center would be the best.

Thanks - If you need me I'll be outside putting the rest of the storm shutters up.

I am at my bro-in-laws house now. 75% of homes in Charlotte county were damaged, which is about right. My sisters, my parents and my own home were damaged, but my botherinlaws house was fine. Lets hope it stays fine....

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks