What's new

HTF Upgrade - 12.20.2020 (1 Viewer)

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
The site is actually faster by every metric (nearly 30%). The first thing I'd suggest doing is clearing your browser cache. If you can give any specific links/screenshots or examples for me to look at, that would be helpful.
Unfortunately, it's nothing that you can do a screen shot for. It only seems to affect scrolling after a sub-forum is opened and then only if I start to scroll as soon as the load finishes - which *is* very fast. It typically only does it once as soon as the page loads, as if the page is still loading in the background/buffering.

Clearing the cache has no effect - I tried that as a first option thinking the site may have been using old data. I also run a very small local cache to force full page loads as much as possible simply because many sites programming just don't properly deal with outdated data (i.e. bad programming/cache verification/etc. - Walmart is especially bad in this regard).

It's certainly not a deal breaker, more odd than anything. It's like a stutter when first scrolling the page after it loads and *only* on thread titles. I've not noticed it inside a thread.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
The dropdown used to be wider horizontally, showing all of the available forums. You didn't have to scroll every time through a vertical list to find where you want to go. I liked the wider version.

Functionality seems OK overall, but as with most upgrades of any software, it seems like a step backward aesthetically. Not sure why programmers always seem to think uglier is better.
That's it! My muscle memory has me moving in that direction but it's not there. I prefer the pre-upgrade version but can work with it either way. It's more a matter of getting used to the different behavior.

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
The dropdown used to be wider horizontally, showing all of the available forums. You didn't have to scroll every time through a vertical list to find where you want to go. I liked the wider version.

Functionality seems OK overall, but as with most upgrades of any software, it seems like a step backward aesthetically. Not sure why programmers always seem to think uglier is better.
This one menu (which we intend to fix) aside, where else have we taken a step back aesthetically? Always open to feedback, but your comment doesn't seem particularly constructive.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Just the changes to some of the fonts (such as how names look, that seems different to me), how buttons are presented (like Reply, Quote, Like, which seem to be just links now, rather than buttons), spacing and presentation of the top for alerts and search. It just seems less pleasing to (my) eye.

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
1608493206655.png

Thanks - I get what you mean now. The screenshot here shows the old look on the left, new on the right. Our goal was improved readability.

You're saying you prefer the old font on the left?

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I’m missing the What’s New/New Posts at the top of the page on mobile browsing but not sure if I’m the only one who uses those.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
Takes a bit of getting used to the changes. One question, though: Is the change to the spoiler tag supposed to be this way?

Before: Text replaced by "spoiler"; click on "spoiler" to see the text.

Now: Text blurred. Select the blurred text to see the actual text.

Either works, but that was the biggest change I've noticed so far.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Takes a bit of getting used to the changes. One question, though: Is the change to the spoiler tag supposed to be this way?

Before: Text replaced by "spoiler"; click on "spoiler" to see the text.

Now: Text blurred. Select the blurred text to see the actual text.

Either works, but that was the biggest change I've noticed so far.
I think both options were available before. You could do the standard spoiler block, or an in-line spoiler (blurred text).

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I don't know what was done but the "stutter" I was seeing when first loading a forum list of threads is now gone.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
My Avatar previously was a gif that was a moving avatar, did this feature get removed or turned off?

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton

usrunnr

Writer
Real Name
usrunnr
I can no longer access HTF from AOL. The site appears for about one half second and disappears.

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
I can no longer access HTF from AOL. The site appears for about one half second and disappears.
AOL's website? Or AOL explorer? If the latter, that is not supported. You will need to download Firefox, Chrome or Opera. If you're on Windows 10, Edge works too.

John*Wells

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Theres a Software Update to the Site?? LOL I Had just gotten used to the last one Hahahahahaha

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nicos18
Recent bookmarks