What's new

DVD Review HTF Review: Van Helsing (1 Viewer)

Ken Chui

Supporting Actor
ILM is capable of decent work ("Master and Commander" and "Pirates Of The Caribbean" are testaments to this); "Van Helsing", however, looked like an exercise undertaken by interns.

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
"(a least burton's batman didn't insult the intelligence of the audience like BF and B&R)"

Like the Joker pulling a gun with a five-foot barrel out of his pant leg, and then bringing down the speeding Bat Plane with a single shot?

Like Vicky Vale waking up to learn that Bruce Wayne sleeps upside down from gym equipment, and flaps his arms in his sleep?

Like the Penguin's brigade of radio-controlled penguins armed with rocket launchers?

Or his giant yellow duckmobile, capable of surfacing through the floor of high rise buildings?

Any of this more believable than Van Helsing?

No, Burton's Batman films are live-action cartoons, not meant to be taken seriously. And just to add some spice to the sauce, I think the screenplay for the first Batman film contains just as many howling lines of bad dialogue as Van Helsing.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

Huh? The Burton flicks aren't much like the Schumacher ones. I also don't see the Burton flicks or Helsing as "campy" - Schumacher, definitely, but not the others. VH is over the top and occasionally tongue in cheek, but that's not the same as "campy"...

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
the items you mentioned worked for me in the first two batman films. .. unlike van hesling which did not work at all.. not even as a movie.
now I can find faults with shitmaker's batman.. they both suck.
JACOB

Vader

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Derek
Count me among those who found this film to be a great deal of fun. I feel for those who came into the film expecting it to be faithful to Uni's classics, but those people were not paying attention to the trailers. I concur that the film delivered PRECISELY what the trailers promised (and IMO, exceeded in some ways). There seems to be a great deal of schizophrenia where film "reviewers" are concerned, as has been pointed out. If memory serves, Roger Ebert blasted the original "Star Wars" back in 1977, then recanted later (Ernest or Colin, correct me if I am wrong). I reiterate that I am so thankful that these "arm-chair critics" have exactly squat to say as to what (or how) films are made and released on our favorite format, because they seem to feel it is their place to disparage anything that doesn't fit THEIR tastes. In my book, VH was about a thousand times better than Hellboy, and there are those who feel the exact opposite, which I respect. I guess some people simply feel the need to tear down another person's preferences to make them feel that theirs is somehow superior. I tend to think that those people simply don't have the capacity (or imagination) to really enjoy anything. Just my $0.02.

By the way, Jacob, "Garfield" was panned as an awful film by the majority of "film critics" as well (I have not seen it, but I would guess unfairly), but if you liked it (and you obviously did), I am happy that you can continue to enjoy it on DVD...

Vader

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Derek
"garfield is an oscar winner compared to van hesling."

Your opinion, jacob (which you are entitled to). And even though I extended respect to your cinematic tastes (and did not, I might point out, take a swipe at it despite the reviews), the fact that you still felt the urge to do so to mine speaks volumes...

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
I will admit that I have certain taste.. I rather watch a movie that doesn't insult my intelligence.. thank you very much..

the only true movie that I have seen in the last years.. was the lotr trilogy.. that is movie magic.
van hesling is nothing like that.

JACOB

PS cann't wait to see stephen sommers fuck up the new flash gordon movie..

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
"If memory serves, Roger Ebert blasted the original "Star Wars" back in 1977, then recanted later."

That would be news to me.

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
"the only true movie that I have seen in the last years.. was the lotr trilogy.. that is movie magic.
van hesling is nothing like that."

There has been an almost embarassing amount of fantastic film released the last few years. I was even telling my best friend last week - after viewing Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind with him and his wife - that we're living in a renaissance period for film, only most people are taking it for granted. On the independent front, there is work being done today that rivals the richness and density of the 1970's in terms of imagination and social commentary. On the mass-market side, we're seeing a golden age of genre films. Truly, the best of both worlds, and I'm long since tired of hearing people whine about the state of the film business.

We live in truly amazing times in terms of filmmaking, and I only see more promise on the horizon.

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
"Huh? The Burton flicks aren't much like the Schumacher ones. I also don't see the Burton flicks or Helsing as "campy" - Schumacher, definitely, but not the others. VH is over the top and occasionally tongue in cheek, but that's not the same as "campy"..."

Colin, you don't find an army of radio-controlled penguins with miniature scuds strapped to their back intentionally whimsically absurd?

Maybe we just disagree on the meaning of camp. I see moments in both of Tim Burton's films that rival John Waters.

Vader

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Derek
"That would be news to me."

I stand corrected. Thank You Ernest.

".. was the lotr trilogy.. that is movie magic."

Jacob, on that we stand on the same side of the fence. While VH does not even come close to the same league as LOTR in scope or gandeur (an understatement), it is comparing apples to oranges. While Jackson's LOTR is a monument in filmmaking (IMO) and a testament to one of the greatest adventure stories ever told, VH only indends to be silly, popcorn fun. We will simply have to agree to disagree where VH is concerned. It is worth noting, however, that there are those who have the exact same animosity towards LOTR that you have for VH. The main issue there I think is the unwillingness to sepearate what they envision 'should have been' (what the books have become to them) and what the films actually were (IMHO a trilogy that justifies my HT by itself... :)). As with VH, these people have their own POV, each of which is equally valid, even though it disagrees with yours and mine. Since you seem to be of the position that your tastes dictate what is 'good' vs 'bad', I'm curious as to what you would say to these people?

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
I will tell people that I hated the movie. I am surprise to find people that like it.

JACOB

Ed Speir IV

Stunt Coordinator
I thoroughly enjoyed Van Helsing for what it was - an over-the-top summer popcorn movie.

I read an interview with Sommers a while back where he was talking about growing up watching all of the old Universal Monsters movies and how much he loved them. And how as a 10-year-old he would imagine epic battles between these movie icons. He put together this movie from a 10-year-old's perspective.

Think about it - any 10-year-old into monsters would love this movie and watch in awe as these monsters fight it out on the big screen!! Watch the movie without the critical eye of an adult and you will see what he was trying to accomplish.

Vader

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Derek
"I will tell people that I hated the movie."

Jacob, I meant what would you say to those with differing opinions of LOTR ? Even though you and I hold Jackson's masterpiece in high regard, do those who hold other, less flattering, opinions have questionable taste in movies? Of course not; they simply have different criteria for what they find entertaining.

Ed, perfectly said....:)

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

"Intentionally whimsically absurd"? Sure, but I guess we do disagree on "camp", since I don't see that as campy. Close-ups of Batman's ass? THAT'S campy! The Burton flicks have a sense of the absurd but take themselves acceptably seriously - they're not campy spoofs like the old TV series (which I guess everyone agrees was campy)...

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
"I will tell people that I hated the movie."

Well you can always have a t-shirt made with "I hate Van Helsing" printed on it, if it would make you feel any better.;)

"I am surprise to find people that like it."

Yes we exist, scattered here and there. Personally I'm surprised there are people who are crazy about rubbish kiddie fare like Garfield.

I checked the Van Helsing 2nd disc last night, packed with featurettes on the various monsters, music, places etc. I would have preferred one long documentary I'm not a fan of 5-10min featurettes and The Lion King 2-disc was the absolute pits IMO, dozens and dozens of 5min featurettes, what a horrible mess that was.

ps. One VH featurette I particularly enjoyed was on the three Vampire Brides, and I've picked my favorite, Josie Maran, what a gorgeous babe, I see she's in Scorsese's The Aviator, another reason to see that film.:)

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter
That is a good point Ed. When it comes to adults we seem to crticize everything we watch. When it comes to a kid, they just watch it and enjoy it without picking it apart,over analyzing it and finding every flaw possible. There are certain movies made that are not meant to be over analyzed and Van Helsing is one of them. Take it for what it is and either enjoy it or don't enjoy it but for those of you who didn't like it, what were you expecting?

We as adults should remember what movie making is all about. Taking you away to a fictional world for a couple of hours of entertainment. Now if this type of movie was all that was ever made, of course it would get old but thats what is nice about Hollywood, there is so much variety in films that you can enjoy all types of movies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks