What's new

DVD Review HTF Review: Van Helsing (1 Viewer)

Harminder

Second Unit
Real Name
Harminder
quote:What was the last double-dipped Universal title that added DTS to a title previously released DD only

Off the top of my head: Field of Dreams, The Mummy and Scarface.

However, let me clarify. Where once Universal would release their movies with DTS with their first release (Bourne Identity: CE, Pitch Black, Jurrasic Park, The Peacemaker) they no longer seem to do that and hold off the DTS track for a future release.

Matt Stieg

Stunt Coordinator
To anyone that has the version with Dracula, Frankenstein, and The Wolf Man, did they finally get the audio right on Dracula? The original '99 Dracula DVD featured a somewhat restored soundtrack with the hiss very minimized, but the opening notes to Schubert's Unfinished Symphony were accidentally swiped. The soundtrack on the Legacy edition is an older soundtrack with much louder and more prevalent hiss. While the Schubert music is present, Dracula's moans at the end when he is killed are edited.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
quote:Off the top of my head: Field of Dreams, The Mummy and Scarface.

Field and Scarface both redid discs from the early days of DVD. The Mummy reissue came out three and a half years ago - not exactly recent history.

quote:Where once Universal would release their movies with DTS with their first release (Bourne Identity: CE, Pitch Black, Jurrasic Park, The Peacemaker) they no longer seem to do that and hold off the DTS track for a future release.

My point: no, not really. That's why I asked for the last time they'd put DTS onto a release that didn't previously have DTS. They don't do this nearly as often as some allege, especially not for recent movies. We never got the Ultimate Edition of Mummy Returns everyone expected, did we? Still no DTS Scorpion King, is there?

In other words, why would anyone expect a subsequent DTS Van Helsing? Not saying it won't happen, but it's odd to base this opinion on Universal's release patterns from three years ago...

Harminder

Second Unit
Real Name
Harminder
I'm not even going to argue this any further. We'll just have to wait and see what Universal does or doesn't do in the future.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
If Universal does release another version, it's likely to be as part of the tie-in with a sequel, as they've done with "2 Fast 2 Furious" (Ultimate Tricked-Out Edition of "The Fast and the Furious") and "The Bourne Supremacy" (Explosive Extended Edition of "The Bourne Identity").

But I don't believe either of those had improved soundtracks; in fact, I think they removed the DTS track from "The Bourne Identity" that was on the original release. They were mostly just filled with fluff marketing pieces.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
quote:But I don't believe either of those had improved soundtracks; in fact, I think they removed the DTS track from "The Bourne Identity" that was on the original release. They were mostly just filled with fluff marketing pieces.

This is correct - Bourne did lose its prior DTS track.

quote:I'm not even going to argue this any further. We'll just have to wait and see what Universal does or doesn't do in the future.

Who's arguing? I simply pointed out that Uni doesn't double-dip with added DTS very much if at all anymore. I think that's useful information for anyone who might hold out hope for a later DTS Van Helsing - I think it's a mistake, as they might wait a long time...

Chris Bergmann

Second Unit
Considering the amount of extras on the 3-DVD edition I doubt there will be any new version of this in the near future.

What could they add apart from a Beckinsale/Jackman commentary?

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
quote:What could they add apart from a Beckinsale/Jackman commentary?

A DTS track!!!
biggrin.gif

(Hey, somebody had to say it.
wink.gif
)

STARKILLER1138

Second Unit
Real Name
Lou
As much of a DTS nut I am, I thought the sound on VH was awesome! Hard hitting thunderous sound. The movie was better than I thought it would be too.

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
I bought this last week. For the life of me I don't know why. It makes The Mummy Returns look like a Picasso masterpiece, and The Mummy like a Rembrandt!

The CGI was atrocious. I would like it if no other director uses ILM or Sony ImageWorks... ever. It's so cartoony and the digital stunt doubles look like video game figures. Does no one do real stunts any more-- even if they have to be scaled back for realism's sake?

That said it doesn't surprise me as there is no subtlety in the entire movie. The werewolf effects (for practically the entire time) in An American Werewolf in London and The Howling (except the quick stop motion work in a couple shots) look SOOOOO much better. And it wasn't at all scary with zero character developement.

For my part, I thought the audio mix was rather tame in comparison to the on screen visuals. Casper The Movie had a much more effective sonic mix with its DTS track than Van Helsing.

Dan

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
quote:To anyone that has the version with Dracula, Frankenstein, and The Wolf Man, did they finally get the audio right on Dracula? The original '99 Dracula DVD featured a somewhat restored soundtrack with the hiss very minimized, but the opening notes to Schubert's Unfinished Symphony were accidentally swiped. The soundtrack on the Legacy edition is an older soundtrack with much louder and more prevalent hiss. While the Schubert music is present, Dracula's moans at the end when he is killed are edited.

I've been wondering this myself. Supposedly, there are other sounds missing as well; not sure what they are. At any rate, this may not sound like a big deal, but basically this is a case where the audio for this film was restored (quite a few years ago, actually), and now for the newest DVD, we get the previous, unrestored audio. That's actually a pretty big goof; does anyone know if it has been corrected?

David M.

Agent
I got a different bonus disc from Best Buy with my purchase of Van Helsing. It contains:

- 360 degree Tour of Frankenstein's Lab

- Masquerade Ball Behind-the-Scenes

- The Art of Van Helsing

No trailers or making of the game on the disc.

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
I just rented this the past weekend...I barely was able to watch thw whole thing! I had heard it was bad, but this was AWFUL! Jason, you hit the nail on the head with EVERY thought I had with this film...the CGI was horrendous, the "plot" was non-existent and the action sequences were so relentless and over-the-top that they became boring VERY quickly. But the sound was great and gave my HT a workout! Let's pray that no sequel is ever even CONSIDERED!

Vader

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Derek
quote:I had heard it was bad, but this was AWFUL!

So, lemme get this straight: You heard it was bad, you willfully rented it, sat down and watched it also in spite of what you had heard, and then complain about it?

quote:... the CGI was horrendous,

Oh, I am so relieved. You are going to show ILM how it is done correctly, are you? It's amazing how everyone knows CGI better than the people who are in the industry doing it?!?

quote:Let's pray that no sequel is ever even CONSIDERED!

No prayer is necessary. I will continue to offer thanks that what is made is in no way influenced by these "arm-chair" critics that build straw men (by renting and watching something they know they will not like), then knocking them down (by trumpeting their opinion to anyone who will listen). As I said above, I acknowledge that there are many, many people who did not like this film (and that their opinions are equally valid, but are in no way absolute). I am equally sure that I could, if I was so inclined, tear into many films that each of them enjoy with the same veracity (however, I would probably back each of my points up instead of simply saying "...it was AWFUL!"). So, bring on the sequel, and I will trust that these same mental giants will learn from their mistakes and stick with what they DO enjoy. And in the meantime, I will enjoy what, in my (equally valid) opinion, is a very enjoyable popcorn flick....

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks