What's new

DVD Review HTF Review: Van Helsing (1 Viewer)

Kevin_H

Stunt Coordinator
Don't think will see a sequel. The movie made $298 million in theaters, but cost $210 to make. The usual rule of thumb is you have to double the cost to break even, what with theaters, actors, etc. take there cut of the profits. So VH needed to make $420 million in theaters to break even. Unless it goes incredible on DVD, a sequel won't be made, probably a good thing.

I did enjoy the film, but its the weakest of Summers' trilogy of 30s Universal horror remakes. Frankly, Summers problem is the same as Lucas, he needs to bring in another writer. THE MUMMY, the best of this trilogy, had other writers working on it and I think its part of the reason why it turned out the best. I really liked the opening sequence of the movie, which they did the whole thing in Black and White.

A question though, it said in the review that the picture is 1.85, I swear I thought it was 2.35 on the big screen.

Tan Ng

Stunt Coordinator
Now with no DTS track. There is no way Universal can make any hit with DVD sale. Stupid, arent' they? I just rented this movie with netflix but I won't plan buying it until UNiversal release DTS track

Tarkin The Ewok

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brandon
I picked up the Ultimate Collector's Edition on Tuesday, and this is a great DVD set. Disc 1 extras were a little fluffier (except the commentaries), but Disc 2 had some great interviews and documentary footage.

Disc 3 has the three classic movies, and Dracula DOES have bonus features. They had to use a flipper to achieve this, but that's ok with me.

I don't understand how lack of a DTS track can cause somebody to forgo a purchase. This is already a great-sounding movie, so I'm not sure what DTS would or could do to make it more effective.

Anyway, I truly enjoyed this movie as a grand monster adventure, full of humor, romance, and spectacular visuals. It's not Casablanca. Get over it, people.

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member
VAN HELSING sold 2.5 MILLION units on Tuesday, grossing $50 Million in revenue. So I don't think the lack of DTS hurt the title too much.
wink.gif
And I wouldn't be surprised if we get a sequel.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
quote:Now with no DTS track. There is no way Universal can make any hit with DVD sale.

Do you actually believe that DVDs without DTS don't sell well??? Didn't seem to hurt Passion of the Christ, Finding Nemo, and about eight jillion other enormously successful DVDs...

Andrew s wells

Second Unit
Larry.. It sold 2.5 units for 50 million? wow.. those must be some EXPENSIVE dvds. Hope it has lots of bonus stuff for that kind of price!
wink.gif

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
"I don't understand how lack of a DTS track can cause somebody to forgo a purchase."

Nor do I.

"Ooh, look! I just won a whole bunch of DVDs! Criterion DVD editions of Brazil, Seven Samurai, Silence of the Lambs, Spartacus, The Last Temptation of Christ, and Rashomon!...Wait a minute!...None of these have a DTS TRACK!??! Throw these in the garbage! NO DTS = NO SALE!"

Tim Hoover

Screenwriter
I rather liked Van Helsing...decent, mindless entertainment for a Friday night.

Now Garfield, OTOH, well...at least it was short.

Jonathan L

Stunt Coordinator
Picked this up at BB on Tuesday with the bonus disc. Looks gorgeous and sounds fantastic, definitely a good time had by all, especially with Halloween right around the corner.

side note...the BB employees were absolutely clueless about the bonus disc, whether it was in the package, supposed to be attached, in its own case, etc. One person told me you had to download it
biggrin.gif
but as someone else posted, the only identifier was a sticker, and they had them all mixed together on the shelf. Not trying to pick on BB employees, they are almost always friendly and professional, and hell I buy so much crap there
blush.gif
, but we had to open mine up to see that the bonus disc was in there so that they would know what to tell other customers. Have no idea if this is BB's lack of communication to employees, or Universal's lack of communication to BB (although past experience would have me blame Universal when it comes to problems with a DVD
biggrin.gif
)

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
So, are the dvds with the bonus discs the ones with the stickers, or do all of them at BB have it?

ClaytonMG

Stunt Coordinator
It's like Man on Fire, all the ones with the stickers have bonus discs. I think all the copies Best Buy has have bonus discs.

Clayton

Terry Hickey

Second Unit
Real Name
Terry Hickey
My sons and I enjoyed "Van Helsing" for what it was, a mindless popcorn flick. The sound on the dvd is quite good as I don't remember it being that active in the theater. Anyway, we enjoyed it, and that's all that matters to us.

I think the dvd presentation was quite good.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
quote:It's like Man on Fire, all the ones with the stickers have bonus discs. I think all the copies Best Buy has have bonus discs.

No, the bonus disc is definitely limited in number. When I was at Best Buy on Thursday, they only had a few left with the bonus disc, but they had about a bazillion of the standard edition (no bonus disc). Only those stickered have the disc.

I remember seeing somewhere that the bonus disc was "in the case," so I'm not sure why BB staff weren't aware of this.

And I doubt Universal is ready to abandon this potential franchise just yet. They'll still make a small profit and will just have to refine the production team and tighten the budget for the next film.

mike caronia

Second Unit
well, i had a stickered copy and no bonus disc. very bogus.

i enjoyed VH for what it is...a fun, popcorn, leave your brain at the door movie.

Harminder

Second Unit
Real Name
Harminder
DTS is my sound preference. Not that Dolby sucks or anything, it's just the sound format I choose.

And since I know Universal likes to be a double-dipping king, I will wait for a DTS release of this movie because it's MY preference.

Thank you
biggrin.gif

P.S. I'll be doing the same thing for; The Bourne Supremacy, The Chronicles of Riddick, Resident Evil: Apocolypse and Hellboy.

Chris Tedesco

Second Unit
Real Name
Chris
Just saw VHelsing for the first time last night. I guess I went into it with lowered expectations, because it wasn't as bad as alot of people make it out to be. Not great, but I had a good time with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks