What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: Star Trek: Voyager - The Complete First Season (1 Viewer)

Doug Pyle

Second Unit
Real Name
Doug
That thread above,is awfully one-sided in slamming Voyager. While DS9 and Voyager seemed to appeal to opposite sides of the Trek fanbase, Voyager definitely had its audience as was said before. I for one continue to see it as one of the strongest Trek incarnations, second only to TNG.

No other Trek had so strong an ensemble performance from the actors from episode one on. It took DS9 and TNG two seasons before reaching their most polished acting work.

I disagree with most of the usual criticisms levelled against Voyager as being unfair - it seems so many critics wish it were just like DS9. DS9 plays its sci-fi more often like a vehicle for space battle action dramas; fans of Battlestar Gallactica seem to also prefer DS9. I for one can't stand Battlestar Gallactica or any other sci-fi of that sub-genre, and I liked DS9 best when they were not at war with the Dominion. While I found the Odo search for identity episodes among the best Trek ever, for me, it ruined the DS9 series when it turned to its focus and story arcs upon the war against the Dominion; I lost all interest from season 5 on.

Voyager, on the other hand, remained an ideas and values Trek, a quality of Trek since TOS (as in City on the Edge of Forever, and other early episodes). Asking what is it to be human, and what really matters in the choices we make.

While based in space and with futuristic technology, the drama itself of Trek does not HAVE to be sci-fi at all. I find the closest TV drama in substance and style today is The West Wing. Both Voyager & The West Wing are based on executive decision-making on issues of importance - sometimes on life and death matters - guided by democratic-based values. Both have a main plot and sub- or sub-sub-plot threads weaving among the characters lower in the heirarchy. They both take difficult, often crisis situations and seek resolutions that not only survives the crisis but upholds the values and reflect who we are as a people and as a society.

I thought DS9 abandoned that quality in its latter seasons, while Voyager attempted to keep them up -- though with some writing fatigue creeping in some episodes in later seasons, as the effort to address the bigger-issues sometimes became too contrived, rehashed or self-conscious at times, especially during the final season.

But the first several Voyager seasons were very strong, in contrast to other versions of Trek that warmed up only after their 2nd seasons. If the high price doesn't dissuade, there is no other reason to hold off the early seasons of Voyager. Some of the best performances and freshest ideas are found in the early seasons, and opposite to TNG & DS9 (until season 5), you don't have to wait to 3rd season or later to get it at its peak.

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
Sure Voyager had it's audience and sure people watched it for the whole Seven years but it was mediocre at best and in retrospect it's not worth watching over. I dont think people want to spend that type of money for that very reason.
If it were $40.00 I'd buy it but for the quality of the show, I wouldnt pay a dime more.

Sean.S

Stunt Coordinator
Personally, I think Voyager captures the spirit of Star Trek perfectly. It has exploration, strange new worlds, action, sex appeal, great special effects and cool sets. It also has an upbeat tone that DS9 lost in later years and consistently good writing. Of all the Trek series, it is my favorite, followed by Next Generation, the Original, Enterprise, and Deep Space Nine (Don't get me wrong, I enjoy them all).

I'm saving up money to get this cool set, that's for sure! And, with luck, the entire series! :D

Simply put, Voyager = :emoji_thumbsup:

Scott Kimball

Screenwriter

Of course, some would argue that is where DS9 went RIGHT...

Not to put down your opinion... you're certainly entitled to it. It's good that there is enough diversity in Trek for everyone. If you don't like one series, you're bound to like another...

For me, TOS and DS9 are the tops, followed by TNG, then Voyager / Enterprise.

-Scott

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
I'll be buying the whole series. I agree that a price reduction is appropriate, but I think that Paramount will turn up its nose up at the idea since they know the true fans will buy anyways.

I'll be putting my DVDs in a multiple DVD Alpha keepcase & use cover art I created for the series. I displayed examples in a thread a few weeks ago but got almost no reaction to them (verses Ric Easton's work).

To try to cut costs, I may try to buy some sets from ebay.

Lloyd White

Stunt Coordinator
I won't be getting this, even though I really like some of the episodes. The show really was hit or miss, but by season 2 it was obvious the show wasn't going to live up to its potential, and then started having long streaks of bad episodes.

If I can find these sets used, I may only buy seasons 1 and 4 (thought the borg episodes were great), the rest aren't worth owning for me.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I thought you guys might be amused by my experience at Best Buy purchasing this DVD set. I know I risk incurring ridicule by those who are less enthusiastic about Voyager, I hope you won't.

The cashier commented I had good taste for buying Voyager. She was a fan and she and her husband were anxious to get this to add to the rest of their Star Trek DVD collection.

This is meager evidence to support my theory that this show has a large female fan base. Also the color of these boxes I know a lot of you are less then happy about. Now that I see it, it's another piece of evidence that it's aimed at young females.

By the way, I saw this at Costco for $84.99.

My 2 cents.

Nelson

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member

Paramount can make it any color they wish with lace, I'm still going to buy it & put the discs in a multidisc Alpha keepcase with my own art.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Greg-

No problem. The Voyager DVD at Best Buy does include a bonus disc, which is why I got it there. And paid more for.

It is listed on the packaging as a free bonus disc while supplies last. It contains a featurette on The Star Trek Experience at Las Vegas, including behind the scenes looks at the making of the virtual ride and cast, the Star Trek museum there and Quark's Bar. I have not opened my set yet, but I can feel it and see it behind the label.

Nelson

Scott Kimball

Screenwriter
I've heard of this Best Buy bonus disk, but haven't seen it. I do find it odd that it's a feature on the Star Trek Experience in Vegas, since the Experience has little to do with Voyager.

The Star Trek Experience museum has some Voyager props, and there is a Voyager model... but the ride and Quark's Bar are based on TNG and DS9...

Still, any Star Trek fan who finds him/herself in Vegas should set aside a couple hours to check it out at the Vegas Hilton. It's very cool.

Don't buy the Romulan Ale, though. Turns your teeth blue.

:D

-Scott

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Oh, yeah. I remember that bonus disc now. Thanks.

I've read that the Experience features the Promenade. Does it really look like it did on the show? Is it multi-leveled? I'm guessing it's a more abstract representation. Do they actually have jumja sticks and hasperat or anything like that?

Edit: And, yes, asking for Bajoran dishes does mean I need to get out more often. :laugh:

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
The Promenade was more abstract. I believe it did have two levels, but exhibits were on the upper level, leading to the ride. I had Romulan Ale at Quark's and my wife had Klingon Blood wine.

It was alot of fun!

I believe there is a new attraction coming up having to do with the Voyager crew and the Borg. Maybe they hilight it on the bonus disc. I'm not sure if its replacing the adventure on The Enterprise and shuttle ride.

Ric

Brent Smith

Agent
Hi,

I liked the review and I am still on the fence as to whether or not I'll still pick it up mainly because of the price ($99 USD average for 62% of an average amount of episodes in a season) I was figuring Viacom/Paramount would have given us a break on the price this time Also does anyone know if Voyager is plagued by the "chapter stop" issues that were so prevalent throughout the TNG and DS9 runs?

Thanks,

C. Brent Smith

DougWright

Stunt Coordinator
My first DVD (the top one of course...) was very scratched on the surface. Has anyone else had this? I like the look of the packaging but the actual result is not that great.
I am especially worried about these scratches since there is no art on the Disc, so I am returning this set tomorrow for a new one. I hope this minor annoyance is fixed for the next release, since I plan on getting all 7 seasons. Maybe this happened when Future Shop added in the Best Buy bonus disc.

I must go find the release schedule, I heard it has been revised to account for the TOS season set releases. I will be buying those as well.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
It's Obvious given the ratings track record of Voyager that paramount is skimping on spending alot manufacturing this set. Look at the Bonus disk at BB just some semi promotional piece on a Pay excursion. An Infomercial if you will. Where's the extra content that was on the DS9 and TNG bonus disks (That's why Costco is the best retailer this time around) Yet Paramount while spending less is asking the same, and in the case of this 15 episode season, more than the rest. My Birthday is Saturday so I'm asking the wife for the set. But I think Season one is all I'll get. And if it did'nt have the Bujold Footage, I probably would pass on it.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Paramount may have gone on a cost saving approach with the manufacturing of these discs, but my take on the Best Buy bonus disc is that it is not a cost savings effort. If you recall, the first 2 or three bonus discs on TNG from BB were not much to call home about. It wasn't till later they got meat in them. Plus this is a Best Buy added bonus disc. They may have been hampered by what Paramount provided, but it's not part of the official disc.

Good review Scott. As I watched Caretaker, I am reminded of the broadcast showings and the amazing amount of make up that is so visable on the actors, and Mulgrew's terrible wig for the first show! The video quality is pretty amazing as the make up is even more clearly visable!

One last thing about the packaging, I've said in the past, I always applaud companies that try to innovate with the packaging. While it's not as convenient as DS9 or the Alien Quad, I like that they try new things. And I think that everyone focuses on the lack of color printing on the discs themselves. While that's a huge visual indication of cost cutting, I submit that if you ignore that, and look at the cost and number of parts used for the actual package, it's not that different from past Modern Star Trek (TNG and DS9) packaging. There's a outer cover that can be awkward to remove and an inner folding portion, that's the same formula for the past 2 series. So the major cost cutting done was to not print on the discs themselves. Plus the outer packaging has no printing either. Which is not a bad thing, it's intrinsic to the overall design of the packaging.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim

I was also puzzled by this May announcement for Season 2 of Voyager. I guess extra time was needed for the extras? Or perhaps another Star Trek release is coming? Generations maybe?

I've seen Voyager season 1 DVD set for $84. I will probably be picking it up shortly.
I thought this was a great review of the set.

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
The X-Files price cut means the Star Trek series now stand alone in their high pricing. I'm hoping Paramount drops prices soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks