What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: Star Trek: Voyager - The Complete First Season (1 Viewer)

CaptDS9E

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joey

Ive seen all of TOS, TNG, DS9, Animated, Enterprise and Voyager. And ive read a lot of Trek books so your statement is already wrong. I have liked them all in some compactity. Was voyager my favorite of them all? No. However voyager was just different. The first few seasons were excellent in my opinion. Maybe the best start to a trek series. Seven came aboard and stories started to focus more on Janeway/Seven and some charectors got left behind. There were some bad voyager episodes. However there are also some very good voyager episodes as well which people forget as most of them who bash the show stopped watching.

Now back to season 1.

capt

Blu

Screenwriter
I plan on picking up Voyager but only after it has been entirely released. I don't want to be caught in a situation where sales don't allow a entire release for some reason.

But once it is all out, yep, I'm on it!

Doug_B

Screenwriter
I probably liked the Voyager series more in the beginning, but the end of the series (last season or two?) left a negative lasting impression. It was sooo hard to watch at the end, but I forced myself. I think this has left a bad taste in my mouth that clouds my more positive impressions of early seasons (with a share of dud episodes, of course). I agree with an earlier poster - the value to me is not so great that I will buy now, especially since I have a number of other TV series that are waiting on my shelves (just started S4 of DS9 - takes me a few months per season). Maybe down the road at lower $.

Doug

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
On the pricing issue, Martin Blythe, who I hope won't mind me quoting, has responded in the Star Trek Fan Magazine.

He says that Paramount has been repricing titles downwards. There are deals to be found out there if you do your research and if you're on a budget, wait as prices will go down.

CaptDS9E

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joey
Just watched the special thing about the original captain. Thank god she was dropped.

capt

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter
I'm so predictable. I wasn't going to buy this set, but the last day it was on sale at Best Buy, all day I kept hearing the Voyager theme in my head. Checked Netflix and disc 1 had a very long wait. Just went ahead and bought it.

As usual, I'm glad I did. No, it's not the most groundbreaking Trek ever, but it's still entertaining, and I never saw the first 2 seasons (except for Caretaker) so it's like watching a new show in a sense. I do get a sense of TNG deja vu with some of the plots, but I can live with that. Just wish the discs had some art on them rather than my thumbprints!

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Well Voyager seems new to me bacause so many of the eps were forgettable they all seem like new ones. I don't have that problem with TNG or DS9. I will admit thou the first season when there were some conflict with the two crews was definately better than the rest of the show. But they got into this Holodeck stuff with the Bar in france way too early. These guys were running from Depleting supplies , power losses, yet they are kicking back in the holodeck on episode 6 or so. I'm also remembering why I liked Robert Picardo's doctor so much , in the early going he was such a standout character.

Ben__Tyler

Auditioning
If people think the Voyager sets are expensive in the US, bear a thought for Australia, where the TNG, DS9 sets sell for about $AD 190 a set and presumably Voyager also, as we're awaiting DS9 season 7. To encourage fans to get them, they should've offered up a combined Voyager season 1 and 2 box set for that price and followed with a combined season 3 and 4 set and a combined season 5 and 6 set.

Since the first 3 Next Gen films were barebones releases on dvd, does anyone know if a special edition box set of all 4 Next Gen films will be done, especially since there's virtually no chance of any more Next Gen films in the pipeline, unless Pat Stewart takes a pay cut.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
I finally picked up the set last week.
I love the screen menus. The picture and sounds is top notch as well.
I have no complaints with the packaging either.
Nice job Paramount!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks