What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: "Sports Night: The Complete Series" (with screenshots) (1 Viewer)

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
is anyone else having a problem with the pilot episode? my dvd player locks up after 15 minutes or so, it's when dana and natalie are talking to jeremy...

Scott_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Thomas, I've watched the first 21 episodes (all of season 1 except the last 2 episodes), and the only problem I've had so far was VERY minor - about 11 1/2 minutes into the pilot, the subtitles started appearing on the screen but pushing the subtitle button on my remote turned them off again.

But I didn't have any episodes lock up my player at all. I have a Sony DVP-NC600. what player do you have?

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
i have a nec dv-5800a dvd-rom drive. it did the same thing with windvd, powerdvd, and windows media player...not at the exact same moment, but all within a close range.

i had the thing with the subtitles too...

my roommate has a dvd player (apex ad-1500), but i haven't tried it out on there yet because i was pretty sure it was going to do the same thing.

Mark Pfeiffer

Screenwriter
I'm up to disc four and haven't experienced any problems. (OK, I did see what seemed like an odd layer change, I think on disc two, but that's likely a result of poor placement than any defects.)

Scott_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Thomas, I just watched the pilot on my PowerDVD 3.0, starting at 9:30 into the episode, and PowerDVD froze at 11:31. Looks like the disc may have a problem with DVD-ROM drives.

KevA

Stunt Coordinator
To Thomas:

I have a Panasonic RV-60 DVD player and I have watched 7 episodes (Ep. 7, "Dear Louise..." is GREAT stuff) and I do not see the problem you are referring to.

However, when I initially played Disc 1, there seemed to be a slight pause (or "skip" or flicker) in the video during a few scenes (Ep. 2 maybe?) but when I ejected the disc and then put it back in, that problem magically disappeared. It's been fine since then.

It's great to be watching this show again.

Kev A.

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
i'm watching it on my roommate's apex, i'm 15 minutes into it (i started around the 9th, and the error i was talking about was around the 12th), and i've had no problems so far...

looks like you're right, scott.

Todd Hostettler

Second Unit
I may be committing HTF heresy here, but I absolutely love this set... despite it's decidedly lackluster audio and video. I can hardly believe I have all of these incredible episodes now at my fingertips.
The only two problems I've faced are as follows:
(A) The consistent twinge of pain I feel seeing those beautiful shots of the WTC as establishing shots.
(B) The fact I can't seem to watch just one damn episode at a time. In fact, of the four discs I've watched, two were watched in one sitting each.
As you can see, it's even inspired me to spruce up my sig...

Lowell_B

Second Unit
About the freezing issue. I have a Toshiba SD-4700 and at around 11:38 (I think) and later around the 13-14 minute mark the pilot episode completely freezes my DVD player. I have to unplug it and plug it back in to get the disc out.

I haven't had any time to watch any of the other episodes, but it'd be good to know what's up with the freezing. At least the pilot episode is the only one that freezes right?

Lowell

Richard Gallagher

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Gallagher
A friend recommended this show to me a few years ago, but I wasn't interested and never saw a single episode. Was I ever wrong! It has a great ensemble cast combined with smart dialogue and interesting story lines. I started watching and immediately got hooked -- I ended up watching the entire series in the course of a week or so.

I experienced none of the lock-up problems reported by others. I would have liked to have seem a few extras -- at least some detailed information about the cast members -- but just having this set available is a pleasure.

Brent_H

Second Unit
I picked up the set cause it was cheap at Target the week it came out.........anyways, I watched a few episodes a week and didn't know why I spent my money on it. Well, I ran out of other TV shows on DVD to watch, so I plopped Sports Night in one night and since then I have watched 4 episodes a day :) I LOVE it.....Kinda depressing knowing that its DONE after two seasons, but oh well. I'm proud to have it in my collection!

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
my copy finally arrived in the mail today. I've never watched this, but bought it based on Aaron Sorkin's work in West Wing, A Few Good Men and American President (all of which I enjoyed, especially West Wing which is my favourite current TV series), as well as recommendations from HTF members. I'll report my intial thoughts once I find some time to watch it; I received 12 titles today, including stuff like FOTR:EE, SW:AotC, AP3, ST3... :D

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
A spent a whole weekend (with the flu, mind you) and
watched the entire series.

It is so good to be able to watch them in order.

And, my Sony 5 disc dvd player had 0 problems with this
set.

Mark

Finally made it through the set...
It was actually kind of surprising the things I remembered from this show.
Although it did hit home while I was watching Season 2 that for whatever reason I missed most of the epi's when they originally aired.
It was great to finally see how it ended after all this time. Now I get to sit back and wonder which of my other favorite shows I missed entire seasons of.
Melanie:)
P.S.: Had no problems with any of the discs upon viewing.

Dean Kousoulas

Second Unit
After hearing nothing but good reviews on the show, I went out and bought it yesterday for $50. I've seen 6 episodes and I'm already convinced that I made a wise decision. I just can't believe I have another 39 episodes to go...amazing that shows this GOOD can get canceled after 2 seasons.

Dean

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
managed to watch the first two episodes this weekend.

my player sometimes had trouble reading the disc, i.e. after putting it in the tray and closing it, it would spin for a while and then the tray would open up again. re-seating the disc in the tray and then closing it took care of the problem both times.

I must say I am not disappointed with the show; so far so good, although the preachyness on legalizing marajuana in ep 2 was a bit annoying. IIRC, it's been discussed before (more in West Wing threads) that this has to do with Sorkin's own legal problems when he got busted for possession of something or other.

otherwise, one could say that this was a sport-TV-program equivalent of West Wing, i.e. a behind-the-scenes look at life in producing a sports program cf. life working for POTUS.

Brent_H

Second Unit
i just finished the set and i must admit, i am really bummed that its over.....i really didn't like the last few epiosodes....they lacked the "oomph" previous episodes had. i am guessing this is around when the writers found out they weren't getting renewed. oh well, at least it was a happy ending. :)
Melanie--I am with you on wondering what other shows I have missed :)
~Brent

Runar_R

Second Unit
I looooove having this show on dvd.
:emoji_thumbsup:
That said, I'm having a slight problem with the first episodes: midway through episode 1 the subtitles shows up all messed up. I have to stop and restart the dvd.
Also the last episodes looks worse than the first ones....

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks