What's new

DVD Review HTF Review: Schindler's List (Highly Recommended!) (1 Viewer)

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
I don't go into hiding, but when I'm watching a movie at home, I don't interrupt it deliberately. If someone calls or stops by, I'll answer, but it's not exactly difficult to empty one's bladder and grab what munchies you need before hitting play.

Lane F.

Stunt Coordinator
Not sure if this was mentioned or not (I didn't read all 14 pages). When Terminator 2 (Ultimate Edition) was released, wasn't it only available in dvd-18 and then later they put out a 2 disc version? If so, then maybee this will happen with Schindler's List. This of course is my hope, as I own a 5-disc changer; and it would be more convenient for me. :)

Robert Anthony

Senior HTF Member
I think in that case, they started printing 2 discs because the demand was greater than they anticipated and they went 2 disc because it was the fastest solution to get the product out without a shortage occurring.

I don't know if that will be the case on this release.

[edit] Keith just beat me to it, sorry ;) [edit]

if flippng a disc is so hard then why not buy 2 of them. put disc 1 on side
A and disc 2 on side B problem solved. unless spending the extra money ain't worth getting off the sofa.

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Robin Hood along with True Romance have DTS because their DVDs were made by Morgan Creek and WB simply distributed them (which is probably also one of the reasons why True Romance is unrated, going against WB policy).

There are a few WB titles that do have DTS like the Leathal Weapons, Twister, and Interview with the Vampire, but these titles were used to test the format. I don't believe WB themselves have used DTS since. I think in the last WB chat (before the one this past Monday), they stated quite firmly that they will never release their films in DTS.

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
"What exactly does the movies subject matter have to do with the perceived lack of bonus materials on the DVD? Oh, and one little problem with this statement also ignores the fact that Peter Jackson just completed one of the most monumental achievements in cinema ever by winning 11 Academy Awards for The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King, a film that quite frankly affected me like few other films."

It's not the subject matter for me. It's the filmmaking, the writing, the editing, the acting, the whole damn thing. Schindler's List wasn't up for Best Song, Best Visual F/X, etc., not to mention that no less than Roger Ebert and others have identifed 1993 as being an unusually amazing year in film history. Despite so many amazing, incredible films, Schindler's List stood head and shoulders above them all.

If Schindler's List had been released in 2003, not 1993, the Oscar tally for the Jackson film would have been a bit different, to put it mildly - of that you can be sure.

ZacharyTait

Senior HTF Member
I agree with Ernest. If Schindler's List would have been released in 2003, you can bet that Peter Jackson would not have the Best Picture and Director trophy sitting on the mantle at home doing dirty deeds (Thanks Tim Robbins for that image. :)). Same for the Adapted Screenplay award. ROTK probably would have taken home just the technical awards. This is by no means a slam against ROTK (it was my #1 movie of 2003), just an observation.

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
You can't take the 11 Oscars of ROTK and put them up against the 7 Oscars for Schindler's List and use that as a barometer of superiority. Mary Poppins was nominated for 13 Oscars - and I don't think Mary Poppins is the gretest film of all time, regardless of the film's Oscar nominations.

As for ROTK and its 11 Oscar wins versus the mere seven wins for Schindler's List, if the two films had been released in the same year, Schindler's List would have wiped the floor with a certain "monumental achievement in film history" called ROTK. Certain other friends of mine in the film industry are also of the opinion that Peter Jackson should be glad Mel Gibson decided to open The Passion of the Christ in February, instead of debuting it in a few theaters for a qualifying Oscar run in December. ROTK vs. The Passion would have also made for a damn interesting Oscar show.

Brian+H

Stunt Coordinator
This thread has gotten insane.
It's not THAT big a deal jeez.....
Yeah they COULD have released SL on a single sided disc but they didn't lets not bash Spielberg for it.

I'm sure they could have figured out a way to put dts and a 2.0 track on it and keep it on one side, but they didn't.

It's not the end of the world. Wait for blu-ray lol

I mean it's annoying to flip them over, and it should have gone the single sided route, but oh well, this isn't brain surgury, guys.

I don't like havin to flip em over either, but it's not that big a deal, get over it.
And that's coming from someone who doesn't like flippers OR turning over a disc to see the end....
The movie is finally out , it looks great enjoy it.
Is that too much to ask?

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
I got this yesterday. I have to say the case is rather impressive. Far more than what I was expecting though it would've been nice if they gave us a slipcover or something since I'm afraid the opening at the top could collect dust.

Chris Farmer

Screenwriter
I think in the case of Schindler's List especially he felt the bonus material would be superfluous and distract from the point of the movie. This is a movei where he truly doesn't want you to care about how the special effects were made or the sound mixed. He wants the focus on the tragedy of the Holocaust and the efforts of one man to make a difference in that tragedy. Anything else dilutes that message.

dannyB

Stunt Coordinator
I hope this doesn't fan flames on the fire, but another DVD that has a 3+ hour long movie (with almost reference video) on one side of a DVD-9 is Magnolia.

There's been a custom cover for Schindler's List posted over at dvdcoverart.com. I dl'ed it and already have my disc in an Amaray. Not a fan of the original case at all.

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
"I think in the case of Schindler's List especially he felt the bonus material would be superfluous and distract from the point of the movie. This is a movei where he truly doesn't want you to care about how the special effects were made or the sound mixed. He wants the focus on the tragedy of the Holocaust and the efforts of one man to make a difference in that tragedy. Anything else dilutes that message."

It is speculation, but it is speculation shared by myself as well. The DVD is devoted solely to the idea of education about genocide and the Holocaust. I own a DVD that I find completely tasteless -- Ron Howard's A Beautiful Mind. The cover has the oscar symbol, the discs have "four stars" reviews printed all over them, the bonus disc has the oscar speeches....you know, call me crazy, but watching all this self-aggrandizement on the DVD, one just might start to get the idea that this movie was made for the sole reason of winning awards, not to champion the life of John Nash. Hmmmmm.....

people wonder if side A should have a [fade out] at the end. and side B have a [fade in] at the begining. i don't think it should. because side A ends with the very last frame of [REEL7] and side B starts with the very first frame of [REEL8] this is a splice cut. it would not be right to have an artificial fade between these scenes. just my opinion.;)

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
Some of the earlier laserdiscs had fades added at the end of sides (Universal did this for a long time) but they eventually stopped doing that- I prefer them without the fades.

Randy A Salas

Screenwriter

But it is right to have an artifical break between those two scenes?

Knowing that the film--for space reasons, apparently--had to be split over two sides, the DVD producers could have found a better reel-change to do it at if the break had to be at such a spot. Again, as it is now, the impression is that the scene has been interrupted.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks