What's new

DVD Review HTF Review: Schindler's List (Highly Recommended!) (1 Viewer)

Jason Perez

Second Unit

Schindler’s List

Studio: Universal
Year: 1993
Rated: R
Film Length: 196 minutes
Aspect Ratio: Anamorphic Widescreen (1.85:1)
Subtitles: English, French, and Spanish
Audio: English – DTS 5.1; English, Spanish, and French – Dolby Digital 5.1

“The list is an absolute good. The list is life.”

It has been said that truth is usually stranger than fiction. In similar fashion, sometimes films based on actual events are much more powerful, engaging, and memorable than movies depicting fictitious events and characters. Such films can stir the heart, stimulate the mind, and when done correctly, can almost make it seem to the viewer as if he/she is looking through a window to the past. Acclaimed director Steven Spielberg’s Schindler's List, a heart-wrenching, passionate account of one of the most cold, brutal, and inhumane periods in recorded history, is just such a film.

While Schindler’s List may not be Spielberg's best known, or most popular, work among all demographics, it is arguably his most important and personal film. Shot almost entirely in stark black-and-white, this film is the account of one man, named Oskar Schindler (Liam Neeson), who endeavored to rescue as many Polish Jews as he could from the Nazi powers bent on systematically wiping them off the face of the Earth. Interestingly, however, Mr. Schindler did not start off as such a humanitarian….

It turns out that before Oskar Schindler was known as a hero, he was the man who knew the right people, especially in the black market. In addition, he was a man that placed himself in the good graces of SS officers to further his own interests, and sampled freely of the finer things in life, like beautiful women, quality suits, and expensive liquors. Further, Oskar possessed the business acumen to recognize a good moneymaking opportunity when he saw one. As such, he seized the opportunity to reduce his labor costs by hiring Jewish laborers from German concentration camps and paying them a pittance to work in a factory he had established. Since he supported the Nazi party (at least on the surface), specifically the influential officers, the powers that be were more than happy to help him get this factory up and running.

Interestingly, although Schindler was shrewd at recognizing opportunities, he knew almost nothing about managing the day-to-day operations of a business. Schindler’s arena was presentation, and creating a certain image, not the management of financial resources. As such, he ended up hiring a Jewish accountant, Itzhak Stern (Ben Kingsley), to handle the finances and operational side of things. Stern was also tasked with searching Krakow to find Jews willing to work in the factory. As it turns out, many of them were glad to accept work in the factory, hoping that working there will make them “essential workers”, and thus increase their chances of survival.

Thankfully, Spielberg treats the complex relationship that develops between Oskar Schindler and Itzhak Stern with a great deal of respect by allowing the understanding that develops between them to come about slowly. Commendably, Spielberg also refrains from shying away from the more unsavory aspects of Oskar Schindler’s character. Specifically, as he starts up the factory, it is clear that Mr. Schindler’s intent is use the Jewish workers as a means to make himself a lot of money. At this point, they are just a means to an end. However, as the Second World War drags on, Schindler eventually becomes sickened by the plight of these people, and his focus shifts to helping them survive. As such, he starts using his wealth and position within society to help as many Jews as he can escape enslavement, torture, and death at the hands of their German captors, at no small risk to himself.

In terms of its authentic treatment of the period, Schindler's List offers what are arguably the most thoroughly accurate and realistic depictions of World War II from the perspective of the Jews who lived through this barbaric time. By being so true to these people and events, Steven Spielberg has created a piece of art that gives viewers a taste of the human suffering that was rampant during the War. It is also worth noting that this film was shot on many of the actual locations where that the events depicted in it took place, including Oskar Schindler’s factory. This level of care by Mr. Spielberg and company is not only admirable, but it also helps make the film that much more powerful. By the way, I must once again say bravo to Mr. Spielberg for not soft-soaping the indignities suffered by the Jewish people, and for not downplaying Mr. Schindler’s character flaws!!!

However, as you might expect, it takes more than historical accuracy to create such a cinematic masterpiece. To this end, Schindler's List is almost universally beloved because in addition to being true to its subject matter, it is a wonderfully acted, superbly directed film, and probably more emotionally involving than anything else Mr. Spielberg has ever done. Indeed, everyone on the production seemed to be determined to creating a special film, from actors Liam Neeson and Ben Kingsley, who turned in remarkable performances in the lead roles; to cinematographer Janusz Kaminski’s wonderful black-and-white photography; to the lovely music by John Williams, the guru of movie scores. Basically, all of these individuals pooled their talents to create one of the most riveting motion pictures ever made.

Although the word masterpiece does not even begin to do this film justice, I think that is exactly what Schindler's List is: an absolute masterpiece in every sense of the world! Despite the fact that it dredges up painful memories and images of one of history’s most horrifying periods, it also manages to exhibit the best qualities of human behavior, namely selfless generosity and courage in the face of great evil. For all of these reasons, the celebrated Schindler’s List, which was nominated for an mind-boggling 12 Oscars®, and took home 7, including Best Picture and Best Director, is a movie that everyone should watch at least once.

SO, HOW DOES IT LOOK?
I must admit that hearing Schindler’s List would be placed on a single DVD, along with four separate 5.1 channel audio tracks, gave me cause for concern. Happily, though, Universal avoided any compression problems by placing part of the three-hour film on the flip side of the disc. As such, Janusz Kaminski’s superb black-and-white photography is rendered dazzlingly.

More specifically, this transfer is brimming with detail, thanks to deep, rich blacks and a well-balanced contrast. As a result, shadow detail is also very good, giving the image a sense of three-dimensionality. Shades of gray were delicately reproduced as well, and if you have already seen the film, you may remember that there is also a very selective use of color. With this in mind, colors looked just fine, perfectly saturated without any bleed or banding, keeping the focus on their emotional impact, which is where it should be.

Given the prestige of this title, I am also not surprised that the source print is immaculate, with nary a spot to be seen. Occasionally, however, a minute amount of edge enhancement is evident, but it never reaches a level I would consider even mildly distracting. Of course, there is a moderate amount of film grain visible, but most Spielberg films contain this, and I think it actually adds character to the film by making it look appropriate to the period it is trying to represent.

Quite simply, this is a spectacular visual presentation of a marvelous film! After such a long wait for this film to make it to the DVD format, I (and probably many others) would have been more than a little angry if this film did not look as good as it does. Kudos to Universal for making sure that this highly anticipated title received the red-carpet treatment it so richly deserves!!!

WHAT IS THAT NOISE?
Most of the audio information in Schindler’s List is relayed to the audience through the front channels, and the sounds of both speech and war sound pretty darn good in either DTS or Dolby Digital! Dialogue is particularly well rendered, as it is presented without hissing, sibilance, or other distractions.

During the more intense sequences, or louder passages in the score, the soundstage opens up to reveal a tangible sense of space and depth. At these times, an even frequency response and smooth, natural panning allows the listener to feel almost as if they are in the Jewish ghetto being rounded up by German troops, to give one example. In the case of music reproduction, the majority of John Williams’ beautiful score is isolated in the front of the listening space, although it never fails to invoke the emotion appropriate to what is happening on-screen.

The .1 channel also makes it presence known here and there, especially during chapter 3 on the second side of the disc. In this sequence, the subwoofer’s low rumble reinforces the sickening sound of Auschwitz’s crematoriums. The LFE channel also gives noticeable impact to the Germans’ gunfire throughout the film, and heightens the tension during the final raid on the Jewish ghetto by Nazi soldiers.

In the final analysis, whether you prefer Dolby Digital or DTS, both handle the dynamic nature of the source material adeptly, though in my opinion the DTS track has a slightly more defined low end, and a more tangible sense of space. Once again, good job Universal!

EXTRAS, EXTRAS!!!

NOTE: The bonus features are all located on Side B of the disc!!!

Voices From the List
Running almost 80 minutes, this fascinating featurette includes excerpts of videotaped testimonials given by some of the people on “Schindler’s List”. Over the course of this featurette, these individuals relate their personal experiences with Oskar Schindler, the horrific treatment they suffered at the hands of the Nazis, and in some cases, personal experiences with the head of the Plaszow concentration camp, Amon Goeth. More disturbingly, these individuals described the atmosphere of hatred the Jewish people endured both right before and during World War II.

Although this is the only extra of real substance on the disc, I really did not have a problem with that, as this is their story (the Jews Oskar Schindler helped survive). Indeed, although I was initially disappointed not to hear much from the actors or filmmakers, I ultimately came to the conclusion that this documentary suits the film much better. It is especially interesting to see how some of these people’s stories ended up in the final film! At once intimate and heart-wrenching, this documentary had me in tears a couple of times, and I cannot be accused of being the most emotional person in the world. This is a very powerful, well-done piece, and is certainly worth watching!!!

The Shoah Foundation Story (with Steven Spielberg)
This 12-minute piece offers a touching behind-the-scenes look at the wonderful work done by the Shoah foundation, which aims to help eliminate hatred and prejudice. In addition to conducting videotaped testimonials from Holocaust survivors, the foundation has produced several award winning films, and a wealth of educational materials, based upon the testimonials.

Cast and Filmmakers: Bios and Film Highlights
Brief biographies and film highlights are included for:

--- Steven Spielberg--- John Williams
--- Liam Neeson--- Michael Kahn’
--- Ben Kingsley--- Janusz Kaminski
--- Ralph Fiennes--- Thomas Keneally
--- Caroline Goodall--- Steven Zaillian
--- Jonathan Sagalle--- Gerald R. Molen
--- Embeth Davidtz--- Branko Lustig

About Oskar Schindler
Several pages of text chronicle the life of a man who started out as a suave profiteer, but later became a brave humanitarian who risked his own life to save a great many Jews from the concentration camps.

SCORE CARD

(on a five-point scale)
Movie: :star: :star: :star: :star: :star:
Video: :star: :star: :star: :star: 1/2
Audio: :star: :star: :star: :star:
Extras: :star: :star: :star: 1/2
Overall: :star: :star: :star: :star: 1/2

THE LAST WORD
Schindler’s List, arguably Steven Spielberg’s magnum opus, is an incredibly powerful and touching tale of a flawed man who become a great humanitarian amidst the barbarism of World War II. To its credit, the movie is unflinchingly realistic, and does not shy away from depicting the faults of its protagonist, or the way the Jews were treated like animals by the Nazi regime. The movie also features stellar performances, an emotional score by John Williams, and wonderful photography by Janusz Makinski. What more can I say? Though it is tough to watch at times, Schindler’s List is a true masterpiece!

As far as presentation goes, Universal has afforded Schindler’s List with a beautiful anamorphic transfer and several flavors of audio, including DTS! As I mentioned, I was initially worried about the movie being on one disc, as there are four 5.1 channel tracks, and the film itself is over three hours long. Fortunately, however, Universal wisely decided to spread it over both sides of the disc to avoid compression problems, so the film looks great and sounds very good!

Further, although there is not an abundance of extras, the one that is included is both emotional and a good companion to the film. Less importantly (although it may matter more to some), the packaging is really cool – it looks like a book – even though it doesn’t stay closed very well! The only thing I would have liked to see, since I know Spielberg refuses to do commentaries, is retrospective interviews with both him and the actors. To me, that would have been a nice addition.

Nevertheless, this is a very good offering of a simply amazing piece of cinema, and I am quite comfortable giving it my highest recommendation! It has been a long wait, but the highly anticipated debut of Schindler’s List on DVD proves to have been worth it! Highly recommended!!!

Stay tuned…

Release Date:
March 9th, 2004

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
Jason thanks for the wonderful review; I had my doubts but will definitely be picking this up. It will be a blind buy for me, but you've helped convince me.

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
The film has many famed deleted scenes -- the game of 21 between Oskar and Amon being at the top of the list. I'm also a little mystified by the choice to make this a flipper disc, as opposed to a two-disc production. Was this a choice to keep the cost down, so that the film could be more affordable to schools and educational institutions?

This is speculation, but it looks like Spielberg perhaps felt it gaudy or tacky to include actual "making of" material or trailers and such. On one hand, I'm selfishly disappointed, but on the other, if I'm right and he thought such things were inappropriate for this film, then I can certainly see his point. Such things can be celebratory and can smack of self-congratulation, and the story of the Schindlerjuden perhaps should not be approached as background material for an Oscar-winning movie.

Still -- a flipper disc? I'm not looking a gift horse in the mouth, I'm just not too fond of flippers. I can't wait to see the doc - having read Keneally's book in the early 90's, it should be revelatory to hear the famous stories from the actual survivors.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
I for one am thankful that a film of this length was broken into two sections. A side change may be inconvenient, and possibly momentarily distracting; but a noisy, overcompressed transfer is something you have to live with for the entire film.

Great transfer with 16x9 enhancement from a pristine print with DTS. No complaints from me. Heck, put it on three sides for all I care. I'm used to CAV laserdiscs. :)

- Walter.

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
My LD played both sides -- I didn't need to flip the discs. I don't have that luxury with DVD. Again, I'm not looking a gift horse in the mouth, and I feel like a spoiled brat even complaining about such a thing. I would have preferred a two-disc set, I'm more than happy to get what we're getting.

Again, can't wait to see the doc.

Brendon

Second Unit
Jason,

Many thanks for the review. There is no way I wouldn't have bought this film, but it feels good to know that the AV presentation of the disc is absolutely what the film deserves and requires.

As for the "flipper" nature - having Lawrence of Arabia across 2 discs and maintaining compression/picture quality was a better call than craming it all onto one disc and potentially compromising quality.

Same here.

I suspect the Voices from the List documentary will be as significant and important a piece of film as Last Days.

Once again Jason, worthwhile review.

Brendon

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
thanks for the review and I agree with you about having no trailers or interviews with the actors

:emoji_thumbsup:

Scott W.

Second Unit
The review makes me even more anxious to get this dvd when it comes out march 9. Bummer it's a flipper, but of course, it's much better to do this than compromise visual and audio.

Scott

CarlosL

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Carlos
Are you saying this is a DVD-18 (dual sided, dual layered)? Or a DVD-14 (one side dual layer, one side single layer)? Just curious...

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
This is a definite purchase for me, because the film is such a maserpiece, and an 80-minute documentary is a pretty nice extra feature.

I am disappointed there are no deleted scenes or trailers, and also I would have preferred 2 discs rather than a flipper. However, those are pretty minor quibbles. I'll just be happy to have this film on DVD.

Frank@N

Screenwriter
Flipper???

I wish they had dropped DTS instead.

Another 'Gangs of New York'...just my opinion.

Eric_R.

Stunt Coordinator
I remeber that game of blackjack on the version that was shown on TV. Was it to decide about Amon's servent and if she was to go with Oskar?

Brent Bridgeman

Second Unit
Real Name
Brent Bridgeman
Heck, I'd buy this DVD even if it was on four flipper discs (kind of like the CAV edition of "Close Encounters" back in the old LD days). This is THE film I've been waiting for since I bought a DVD player. I'd love to see a special edition, but even if it was a bare bones presentation I wouldn't complain. Very anxious to see the doc. I was privileged enough to see a gentleman speak at a local college soon after the film was released. He was one of the boys upon whom the composite character of the boy who hid in the latrine was based, and his story was harrowing, but also inspiring. Wish I could remember his name. I think it might have been Rosner.

I am very glad to hear that it's a great transfer. I was hoping they would do right by the glorious B&W cinematography.

LDfan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeffrey
I'm looking forward to this. I may be one of the few people left that has never seen this movie.

Jeff

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
I'm glad that Universal split the movie to increase PQ, but count me among those who wish they had gone the two-disc route (with nice disc art) as opposed to the ugly flipper. The latter just look cheap, and this film (far and away the best film of the 90s, IMO) is deserving of the finest presentation it can get in ALL areas, including packaging.

That said, in the long run it's a minor complaint. We've got top-notch video & audio, and that's the important thing. A release-day must-buy, for sure.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member

Especially being black and white, this could have been on one side if there was no DTS track --- and maybe eliminating some of the other tracks. Spielberg seems to have DTS tracks on all of his movies, so maybe this was his push. But, do you notice how there is almost aways *something* that's not what it should be on a Universal title?

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
I'll buy it regardless. I could care less about the flipper aspect but some will and have complained already. I would be really curious if they dropped the French and Spanish 5.1 if it would make much of a difference.

Regardless we are getting a fine presentation of a fine movie. Given I already own the bonus stuff that is included with the super duper edition, I plan to just buy the basic one which is being presented here.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation821
Recent bookmarks