What's new

HTF REVIEW: "High Noon" 50th Anniversary DVD (with screenshots) (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Shane received a full restoration a couple of years ago under the aegis of Paramount and George Stevens, Jr.

The DVD is beautiful.

RAH

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This newest dvd release of "High Noon" does appear to be better video wise, but the biggest improvement is in the audio presentation when comparing this dvd release to the Republic dvd released back in 1998.

Crawdaddy

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
didnt the story within a story with HIGH NOON have something to do with it being a commentary on the blacklisting that was going on in hollywood?

Gary Miller

Stunt Coordinator
I was a little disappointed by this transfer. I'm not that sensitive to mild edge enhancement, but here it's like a runaway train. This may account for the shimmering. As Ron pointed out, the print appears very clean and sharp. If I had to trade though, I would take a softer, more film like presentation with some blemishes and scratches. Visually, I didn't notice much difference between this and the prior THX incarnation. They both have a artificial, digitized appearance.

The much improved audio and features,however,(particularly the commentary track)still make this release an absolute bargain for any fan of the film.

For those interested in the genesis of "High Noon", be sure to watch the excellent two hour documentary about the life of blacklisted screenwriter-producer Carl Forman, the next time it airs on PBS.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks