What's new

Blu-ray Review A Few Words About A few words about…™ She Said– in Blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Maria Schrader's She Said is a digital production, that looks terrific on Blu-ray.

It's less the story about Mr. Weinstein and more about the world of professional journalism. And as a film about journalism and New York Times reporters Jodi Canter and Megan Twohey it has more the feel of The Post and true high-end investigative reporting than something like His Girl Friday.

You're with the reporters for two hours as they try to gather facts and achieve witness cooperation, and it takes the form of a thriller.

At the end of those two hours, I submit that one's respect for investigative journalism will blossom, and that t he subscribe button to the New York Times should be calling out.

The film is beautifully shot in a very natural way by Natasha Braier, and the resultant Blu-ray (there's really no need of a 4k variant here) is a great representation of the film.

There's also major news here for slipcover collectors - saving the art of packaging into the next century.

For what presumably is the first edition of She Said, Universal has designed a lovely representation of the film's poster, but here the title of the film is not only embossed, but printed in high gloss light variant of red.

Very attractive, and you'll probably want to protect it with mylar slipcover protector, as it should be kept in 10 condition. Recent rumors have PCGS coming up with a package akin to those created to protect currency or comic books. The disc would have to be kept separately, but the idea is to protect the slipcover as values rise.

Just think of them as the modern version of Sweet Caporals.

No guarantees, but this could be a future collectible going for hundreds on eBay, and possibly a better investment than bit coin.

Extras include a short production featurette and trailer. Comes with a DVD and digital code. Not certain what the purpose of the DVD might be these days.

Image – 5

Audio – 5 (DTS-HD MA 5.1)

Pass / Fail – Pass

Works up-rezzed to 4k - Yes

Highly Recommended

RAH

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. As an Amazon Associate, HTF earns from qualifying purchases. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

Last edited by a moderator:

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
One shudders to think at what will happen to the markets when the bottom falls out of the slipcover craze. Will it be akin to the bitcoin debacle?
Must watch this film in spite of the shameless shill for the slipcover.:D

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
One shudders to think at what will happen to the markets when the bottom falls out of the slipcover craze. Will it be akin to the bitcoin debacle?
Must watch this film in spite of the shameless shill for the slipcover.:D
Rumor has it that there a dozen or so eBay hoarders who make a market. Look at El Aurens.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I'll purchase the iTunes 4K/Dolby Vision/Atmos digital once it reduces to my desired price point.

Timothy E

Reviewer
Real Name
Timothy Ewanyshyn
Mr. Harris is one of the only reviewers out there providing helpful information about slipcovers for Blu-ray and 4K discs.
Too many reviewers gloss over description of the slipcover or omit any mention of it whatsoever, dwelling instead on trivial information regarding the content of the disc.

I do have a question for Mr. Harris. I received my copy of She Said on Blu-ray and I think my slipcover may be a rare variant. My slipcover looks the same as other ones I have seen, except that everything is printed upside down on my slipcover in relation to the disc case enclosed within the cardboard. Does this make mine worthless? Or does this make it an extremely rare variant?

I am thinking that this might be an Inverted Jenny situation. Please let me know. I will not disturb the cellophane enclosing the disc case so that this one can remain in mint condition and receive a possible 10.0 grading for auction.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Mr. Harris is one of the only reviewers out there providing helpful information about slipcovers for Blu-ray and 4K discs.
Too many reviewers gloss over description of the slipcover or omit any mention of it whatsoever, dwelling instead on trivial information regarding the content of the disc.

I do have a question for Mr. Harris. I received my copy of She Said on Blu-ray and I think my slipcover may be a rare variant. My slipcover looks the same as other ones I have seen, except that everything is printed upside down on my slipcover in relation to the disc case enclosed within the cardboard. Does this make mine worthless? Or does this make it an extremely rare variant?

I am thinking that this might be an Inverted Jenny situation. Please let me know. I will not disturb the cellophane enclosing the disc case so that this one can remain in mint condition and receive a possible 10.0 grading for auction.
There was a mention of this rarity on the Heritage Auction forum. Apparently, one other example has been discovered, will be in a February auction, and is being publicized with a range of 800k - 1.2MM.

Of further interest, and strangely linking to the Scott (as opposed to Dewey) system, the number attached is “C3a.”

Best that you not open the original wrapping.

In the same sale - and I’m certain a collector will go after both C3a as well as the C3b example, which actually (like your example) has the printing of the slipcover inverted - WHILST THE EMBOSSED LETTERS are positioned normally with the interior disc package, but the embossing covers the area of Ms Kazan’s and Mulligan‘s heads.

Both of these examples are in 9.5 condition, meaning that the outer wrapper has been disturbed. Your example should bring well in advance of the published Heritage range.

Congratulations on your discovery!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I'll purchase the iTunes 4K/Dolby Vision/Atmos digital once it reduces to my desired price point.
I watched it today on the Peacock channel and thought it was an excellent movie. No doubt, I'll purchased the 4K digital when it lowers to my desired price point.

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member
I also watched it on Peacock and really enjoyed it. The decision to leave Mr. Weinstein almost entirely off-screen was a very effective choice, and the actor who did his voice for the few times you hear him speak did an amazing job matching both his voice and vocal inflections (during one sequence, you hear an actual police recording of the real Weinstein, and you really can't tell the difference between his real voice there and the vocal actor who portrayed him in later sequences when he calls the NY Times reporters on the phone).

Vincent

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks