What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: Enter The Dragon (HIGHLY RECOMMENDED). (1 Viewer)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I just saw this DVD last night. First time owner and viewer of Enter the Dragon. I've only seen the film a few times on TV and only bits of it. I was really impressed by the film itself and Lee's abilities. I look forward to the extras.

Now I'm curious to see his other films made prior to this. There's a five disc set I see called Bruce Lee: The Master Collection. It contains: Fists Of Fury, The Chinese Connection, Return Of The Dragon, Game Of Death, and Bruce Lee: The Legend. The DVD Empire site lists a production date of 1999, but a release date of October 2003, so I am assuming it's the most recent box set and presumably the best one out there? Just curious and I look forward to any comments on this set.

By the way, I also pulled out my laserdisc of Dragon The Bruce Lee Story and I've always enjoyed it as a film, whilst also knowing it's taken liberties with the facts to make and an entertainment piece. And Rob Cohen was good enough to point out those liberties on the audio commentary.

Thanks. Nelson

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I just saw this DVD last night. First time owner and viewer of Enter the Dragon. I've only seen the film a few times on TV and only bits of it. I was really impressed by the film itself and Lee's abilities. I look forward to the extras.

Now I'm curious to see his other films made prior to this. There's a five disc set I see called Bruce Lee: The Master Collection. It contains: Fists Of Fury, The Chinese Connection, Return Of The Dragon, Game Of Death, and Bruce Lee: The Legend. The DVD Empire site lists a production date of 1999, but a release date of October 2003, so I am assuming it's the most recent box set and presumably the best one out there? Just curious and I look forward to any comments on this set.

By the way, I also pulled out my laserdisc of Dragon The Bruce Lee Story and I've always enjoyed it as a film, whilst also knowing it's taken liberties with the facts to make and an entertainment piece. And Rob Cohen was good enough to point out those liberties on the audio commentary.

Thanks. Nelson

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
"I am fortunate to be able to visit the Memorial site of both Bruce and Jason, buried together, just a few blocks from here"

This is on my list of 10 things I must do before I die.

Someday I hope to get there myself

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
"I am fortunate to be able to visit the Memorial site of both Bruce and Jason, buried together, just a few blocks from here"

This is on my list of 10 things I must do before I die.

Someday I hope to get there myself

Brian Thibodeau

Supporting Actor

Skip the Master Collection; it has the other films, but they're in English only, with few extras beyond trailers. If you are region free, check out Fortune Star's stunning ULTIMATE BRUCE LEE box set, which has ALL Bruce's movies, including the HK cut of ENTER THE DRAGON (in Cantonese with alternate opening credit sequence) as well as GAME OF DEATH II (aka TOWER OF DEATH) a fun little Yuen Wo-ping directed Bruce knockoff (with some footage of Bruce lifted from GAME OF DEATH) which proves to be a better movie, and one closer in spirit to Bruce's original treatment, than the finished GAME OF DEATH.

Here's the box:
http://us.yesasia.com/en/PrdDept.asp...ection-videos/

There's also some discussion of this over in the "Asian Cinema on DVD" thread, somewhere around pages 11-13, with more details.

Brian Thibodeau

Supporting Actor

Skip the Master Collection; it has the other films, but they're in English only, with few extras beyond trailers. If you are region free, check out Fortune Star's stunning ULTIMATE BRUCE LEE box set, which has ALL Bruce's movies, including the HK cut of ENTER THE DRAGON (in Cantonese with alternate opening credit sequence) as well as GAME OF DEATH II (aka TOWER OF DEATH) a fun little Yuen Wo-ping directed Bruce knockoff (with some footage of Bruce lifted from GAME OF DEATH) which proves to be a better movie, and one closer in spirit to Bruce's original treatment, than the finished GAME OF DEATH.

Here's the box:
http://us.yesasia.com/en/PrdDept.asp...ection-videos/

There's also some discussion of this over in the "Asian Cinema on DVD" thread, somewhere around pages 11-13, with more details.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Brian, Unfortunately, I'm region one. But I will look into the set you mention and the Asian Cinema thread.

Nelson

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Brian, Unfortunately, I'm region one. But I will look into the set you mention and the Asian Cinema thread.

Nelson

Brian Thibodeau

Supporting Actor
Nelson

Going "all-region" really opens up doors, and it can be done very cheaply with players widely available for under $100 from nearly all major Canadian and U.S. retailers. Many of the players are not major household brands, but the ones I've purchased have served me well over the years. I'm sure HTF has forums that address such things, but if not, check out the message forums over at www.nerd-out.com for info on region-free capabilities on both low-end and high end players, as well as
http://www.videohelp.com/dvdhacks
where you can enter in the name of your current player and find out if its convertible to region free with a simple remote control code (as most of the cheaper imports tend to be).

Just a thought.

Brian Thibodeau

Supporting Actor
Nelson

Going "all-region" really opens up doors, and it can be done very cheaply with players widely available for under $100 from nearly all major Canadian and U.S. retailers. Many of the players are not major household brands, but the ones I've purchased have served me well over the years. I'm sure HTF has forums that address such things, but if not, check out the message forums over at www.nerd-out.com for info on region-free capabilities on both low-end and high end players, as well as
http://www.videohelp.com/dvdhacks
where you can enter in the name of your current player and find out if its convertible to region free with a simple remote control code (as most of the cheaper imports tend to be).

Just a thought.

Felix Martinez

Screenwriter
Real Name
Felix E. Martinez
This is indeed a fantastic release, but for the life of me - please forgive me - I cannot take ETD seriously anymore since seeing the Kentucky Fried Movie spoof.

Watch KFM at your own risk!! It's hilarious but may ruin all future viewings of ETD!

Cheers,

Felix Martinez

Screenwriter
Real Name
Felix E. Martinez
This is indeed a fantastic release, but for the life of me - please forgive me - I cannot take ETD seriously anymore since seeing the Kentucky Fried Movie spoof.

Watch KFM at your own risk!! It's hilarious but may ruin all future viewings of ETD!

Cheers,

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Game Show Announcer: "Guard number one is a senior on Klahn's mountain, and aspires to be a research chemist. Welcome, please, Hung Well! Guard number two is a real skating buff. A warm welcome for Long Wang! Traveling comes naturally to guard number three, as he's a licensed airplane pilot. Welcome, please, Enormous Genitals!"

A Fistful of Yen

:laugh:

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Game Show Announcer: "Guard number one is a senior on Klahn's mountain, and aspires to be a research chemist. Welcome, please, Hung Well! Guard number two is a real skating buff. A warm welcome for Long Wang! Traveling comes naturally to guard number three, as he's a licensed airplane pilot. Welcome, please, Enormous Genitals!"

A Fistful of Yen

:laugh:

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
One more one more...

Pennington: "This is Buttkiss, Klahn's bodyguard - he is tough and ruthless.
This is Kwong, Klahn's chauffeur - he is rough and toothless."

:D

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
One more one more...

Pennington: "This is Buttkiss, Klahn's bodyguard - he is tough and ruthless.
This is Kwong, Klahn's chauffeur - he is rough and toothless."

:D

ChrisBEA

Screenwriter
For cheap all region: Cyberhome 300. I got one for $35 a few weeks back at BB and am impressed with its quality and ease in hacking.

ChrisBEA

Screenwriter
For cheap all region: Cyberhome 300. I got one for $35 a few weeks back at BB and am impressed with its quality and ease in hacking.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks