What's new

HP question (1 Viewer)

Stan

Senior HTF Member
I have an HP dv6, about two years old running Windows 7.

My dog knocked it off my lap last spring and the hard drive croaked. Had it replaced, everything reinstalled. The guy that did it was waiting for HP to send him the discs to finish the job. I've worked with him for years, his business has been operating for probably 20 years, but I guess financial issues forced him to shut down.Anyhow, there are still a few things I can't use, like the fingerprint scanner, without the HP discs. HP wants $50 then $15 a month after that to restore the warranty and send me the discs.
Is there any other way to get the software I need?There was a separate partition on the hard drive when I first bought it that did the major setup, but obviously lost that when my dog interrupted. It just seems really unfair to pay $50 and then an ongoing fee just to get back what I already paid for.

Paul D G

Screenwriter
You should be able to download the drivers for the scanner and other hardware from HP's website.

Check eBay for the disks. Someone might be selling their copy. You never know....

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Paul, thanks for the advice. I've tried several times to download the drivers, and even though it supposedly installs correctly, when I go to set it up, I always get a message saying "there is no management application installed, please contact your manufacturer..."
Even though the laptop is only two years old, now I find out the discs aren't even available from HP any longer. I'll keep searching, eBay will be next.

Thomas Newton

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Newton
Laura98 said:
HP Laptop problem?
I have a HP Pavilion dv5 laptop running windows vista. I keep turning it on and all it says is updating stage 3 of 3-0%. it says this for about a minute then restarts and says the same message. this process goes on and i have not been able to get into my laptop for ages.
Google is your friend. I won't guarantee that the suggestions in this thread will help, but if you read through it, maybe you'll find something that works for you.

https://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?/topic/120703-vista-installing-update-33-0-restart-loop/

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks