What's new

Under Garage build, new construction (2 Viewers)

ACGreen

Auditioning
Real Name
Andrew
Interested in your ideas to help with a new home build.

I currently have a home theater I built in my basement living room. It is not enclosed and I am excited to see shat kind of audio I am able to generate with an enclosed theater room.
Current build is a Panasonic PT-AE2000U projector. A Da-Lite tensioned electronic acoustically transparent screen. I. Hate. It. It is perforated and ruined my projection.
Behind it is a Kef Reference 204c center channel speaker. Main speakers are Kef iQ9s. Surround speakers are B&W 604 S2 towers. Rear speakers are in ceiling drop down Kef Ci series speakers. I. Hate. These. Speakers. They sound horrible.
I have three subwoofers and could never get enough bass in the open room. HSU VTF-3 MK5 HP. Velodyne 15”. And I forget what the other 12” sub is.
I have a Denon AVR-X7200WA receiver. An Emotiva XPA-200 amp for the front channels. And a Sony ES BDP-7000ES Blu-ray changer.
I think there are a few other components but those are the main pieces.
When I built this theater, I had an audio/video closet next to it and all wires were run into it.

We are building a new home and are finishing a room under a two car garage. This will be the home theater. Solid, exterior for the entrance. There should be good sound isolation from the rest of the house. And the theater should sound very well.

1. I originally planned to mount a screen on the wall. Place a center channel below and a tower on each side. BUT I have read that woven, acoustically transparent screens do not ruin a profiting like perforated. And I have heard that having three of the same speakers for mains and center is highly recommended.
A. There is still time to make this change. I could add a room behind the screen. I would even mount my subwoofers behind the screen.
B. What are the disadvantages of this? Do the subs cause the screen to move or vibrate?
C. Is it worth it. It will shrink the size of the room. I could mount a center channel above or below the screen.

The biggest issue with my gear is the most-matches speakers. I realize this and plan to upgrade to a common speaker. I always enjoyed the B&Ws and will pick up some components off eBay for now. This is probably the most economical way to go at the moment.

Plans are for a drop ceiling. I want to house two pairs of ceiling speakers for ATMOS and maybe some starlight features.
2. Are there draw backs to a drop ceiling?

I’m sure I’ll have more questions but I’m curious as to everyone’s thoughts on these.

I would really like to hear from anyone how has built a
Home theater in a room under their garage. What issues/concerns/dislikes do you have. Thanks.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
1. I originally planned to mount a screen on the wall. Place a center channel below and a tower on each side. BUT I have read that woven, acoustically transparent screens do not ruin a profiting like perforated. And I have heard that having three of the same speakers for mains and center is highly recommended.
A. There is still time to make this change. I could add a room behind the screen. I would even mount my subwoofers behind the screen.
B. What are the disadvantages of this? Do the subs cause the screen to move or vibrate?
C. Is it worth it. It will shrink the size of the room. I could mount a center channel above or below the screen.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Plans are for a drop ceiling. I want to house two pairs of ceiling speakers for ATMOS and maybe some starlight features.
2. Are there draw backs to a drop ceiling?

In our last house I built a theater with a woven screen. I had no problems with the picture quality. I had three of the same speakers behind it for my L,C,R channels along with two subs. I had no rattling at all with the screen frame. Here is a pic of it under construction. Please note that while my subs stayed behind the screen that wasn't my final placement. I have a lot of good info and documented the construction here: https://www.hometheaterforum.com/co...n-thread-just-upgraded-to-dolby-atmos.292787/

1587580916066.png

The only downside to the woven screen is it didn't reflect as much light back into the room, so I needed a brighter projector. The overall "theater look" and sound quality made up for that though. There was a lot of work that went into acoustically treating the area the speakers were in to avoid any vibrations. I discuss those in my construction thread.

As to the drop down ceiling, I'm not sure. On one hand it would be nice to have access to that area above the ceiling, on the other, will there be living space above? I'm not sure how well the ceiling panels will diffuse that noise and I don't know if they (or the framing) will vibrate.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks