What's new

How to get a 'School' Closed down by means of Government (1 Viewer)

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Obviously substandard places such as Brown and RISD.

Clearly I missed dynamic learning environment—but then there was so much good stuff on the site it was easy to overlook. :)

And since you ask, I was helping Dave Griffith with some of his innovations.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I'll second that. Also, credits earned at non-accredited schools are often not accepted as transfer credits at accredited schools. Accreditation is VERY important when selecting a school if you have any intention of trying to use those credits, or that degree, in the future. I work in the Registrar's Office of a college and we frequently deny transfer credits because they are coming from non-accredited schools. Some employers also will not recognize degrees/certificates from non-accredited schools.

In addition, you should do some additional research to learn if the accrediting body of a particular school is legitimate. Any school can say they're accredited, but there are a number of accrediting organizations that are not legitimately recognized by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation and the US Department of Education. For example, many religion-based schools have formed their own accrediting organizations so they can SAY they're accredited, but they're not officially recognized accrediting organizations. Some simply accept an annual fee to extend a "paper" accreditation to a school. There is no actual review of standards, curriculum, etc., that is undertaken by a legitimate accrediting panel.

Regarding Katharine Gibbs, they are listed as accredited in New Jersey by the Accrediting Council for Independent Colleges and Schools (ACICS). This IS a recognized accrediting body by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation and the US Department of Education.

I would give up on any thoughts of trying to close them down and simply try and transfer your credits to a better school.

Linda Thompson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Linda
Neil... Here's another dissatisfied student, very much like yourself:

http://www.complaints.com/april2001/...april20.14.htm

A legal action against CEC (last year):

http://www.labaton.com/index.cfm/hur...GlobalID=23809

And, lastly, an investigation of CEC (the meat of the CEC-related material starts on page 19):

http://www.consumerlaw.org/news/Prop...oolsReport.pdf

Apparently, situations are being investigated.

In all honesty, I don't believe that anything you might do on an individual level would have any impact, and would very likely serve only to make matters worse for you (legally, personally, and emotionally).

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
Looking at the lineup of class offerings, this strikes me as one of those updated TV ads Sally Struthers used to push.

Instead of "Gun Repair, Sewing, Paralegal, or get your GED" we have "Computer Programming, Medical Executive Assitant and E-Commerce".

I can see attraction to these programs because the probably have very minimal admissions requirements (No minimum GPA, SAT Score, etc.), but on the other hand people need to realize that most employers look for actual accredited degrees. If someone is looking for an associate's, they should stick with their local community college as it is probably closer, cheaper, and will provide a better education and facilities.

J

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil

So much for 'One man can make a difference' :).

But that's a scary PDF. 'failed to train for their role as qualified medical proffesionals'. I hope no hospital will accept ANYONE 'trained' at Gibbs in the medical proffesion, would they?

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil

As mentioned above, I tried the local community college. But one of the reasons why I didn't do great in school, is that I just didn't care for learning all that stuff I would most likley never use. I had fun in the Entertainment class that we had in Junior High, and we even got to see a tour of NBC (around 1992 and berated the poor tour guide on why they let Letterman go)....and I enjoyed art and Horticulture class. But the rest? I could have cared less because I knew what I wanted to do would involve computers and probably something in graphic design later down the line.

When I signed up for Bergan Community, I had to go through all the same classes again that I didn't care about in highschool, and only wanted ot learn advanced computer skills. That's why I left after a month, and when we found the add for Gibbs, it just seemed so much more specifically targeted.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Well, most liberal arts type colleges want their students to get a "well rounded" education that involves sampling a variety of subjects under the heading of "general education requirements" in addition to whatever subject is their major where they will have a concentration of courses.

Perhaps you would be better off at a technical college which tends to concentrate more on the nuts-and-bolts courses related to your interests. Or you could search out a certificate program rather than an actual degree. Certificates are basically the "core" courses of the major without all the extra fluff. Generally about 24-26 credits for a certificate vs. 60-62 credits for an Associate degree.

Chris Lockwood

Senior HTF Member
Don't know much about history
Don't know much biology
Don't know much about a science book
Don't know much about the French I took

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
"Well, I never went to college and I never went to school
But when it comes to rockin' I'm a rockin' fool
Need a little rockin' don't you tell me so
Give better rockin' you ever had before (rock it boy)
"

Rockin' Chair Daddy - Harmonica Frank Floyd
1954 (The first white artist on Sun Records)

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member

Well, I am sorry you felt that way. Every major university requires people getting into computers to take some other classes. CS majors have to take a heavy math load, economics, and even a few liberal electives. Graphics Design majors are required to take some basic math courses along with Art History and business courses. There is more to becoming good with computers than just knowing how to use a few programs. With your approach to getting into a computer related field, I can see why it did not prove successful (and it has nothing to do with the Gibbs school).

J

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks