What's new

How do you approach watching TV series? (1 Viewer)

Kenneth V

Stunt Coordinator
I used to watch 3-5 shows at a time. I would watch an entire season, then move on to the next show. That got a little stale for me, so now I'm trying something REALLY interesting. I'm watching shows by year. For example:

1955-Hitchock Presents Season 1, Cheyenne Season 1 and Gunsmoke Season 1

1956-Hitchcock Presents Season 2, Cheyenne Season 2 and Gunsmoke
Season 2

1957-Hitchcock Presents Season 3, Cheyenne Season 3, Gunsmoke Season 3, Have Gun-Will Travel, Leave It To Beaver Season 1, Maverick Season 1 and Perry Mason Season 1

Right now I'm watching Cheyenne Season 2 and starting Gunsmoke Season 2. I just started this format Jan 1.

Pete Battista

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pete

Changing the disc isn't too bad when you make sure you watch a full disc at a time (maybe half a disc for sitcoms and such that has about 8 eps per disc).

I have a modestly large dvd collection. At this moment I have 1,665 releases (see my collection at link in sig file). Though to hear my friends and family tell it I have a HUGE collection! :P

rcbrad

Agent
Real Name
Rick
I usually rotate shows each week or so. Part of the fun is looking forward to seeing things that you have not seen in years or never saw before, so I look at it as delayed gratification and it gives you something to look forward to. (I usually watch these very slowly) For other shows, I usually watch one disk from a show and then I know that disc is finished and then go on to another series. Sometimes if it is a show that I have seen multiple times, but still enjoy, I will watch a show or two at night and then finish the whole series over a week or two.

It has become more of- What is cable tv? I have downgraded my service to the lowest package and now watch more DVD'S. Plus it now gives me more money to buy DVD'S!

heathjack

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Heath
Right now i'm watching doug
i might watch quatam leap or the incdabile hulk next.

changa

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
George
CHEYENNE Season 2?
Warner Bros haven't officially released it yet -at this point of time.
Either your watching it from the Western Channel or from a bootleg site.

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes

Way to go rcbrad!:emoji_thumbsup: I GAVE UP on Cable two years ago and now use that money to acquire more DVDs. My signature gives testimony to the number of Shows I have amassed!:D

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
Wow. Some of you are real die-hards here...

Me, it's usually marathon straight through, whether it's an old show I haven't seen in ages, or (less often now) the latest season release of a current show (I did that a lot with West Wing). But between keeping up with current shows as well, I don't have much time left to watch old stuff: I am sure my backlog is such that if there are NO new TV shows at all for the next 5 years, I'll still have stuff to watch...

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Shoot; my viewing habits are just all over the place. No scheduling or rhyme or reason. I just watch whatever I feel like watching (or not). Now I have a HUGE tv-on-dvd collection but there may actually be weeks or months going by in which I watch nothing. As for marathoning one show at a time, that can be awfully boring. I rarely do that. Why would I--with some 120 shows to choose from, why watch just one from beginning to end to the exclusion of everything else?

Then there are countless sets that I never seem to get around to looking at. I have all 3 Party of Five sets--haven't watched them. Ditto for Roswell. Haven't gotten around to Melrose Place or 90210, although they are both shows that I had taped on vhs back during their network airings. Just haven't given myself the time to re-watch those series (and they are both very long-running series). I've never looked at Dark Angel.

Sometimes when I buy a new set, it'll get me hooked and I'll watch the whole thing straight through; did that for serials like Lost and Desperate Housewives. But sitcoms are sometimes slow-going. I bought all 4 Family Ties sets at a huge discount at Best Buy. So far I've only managed to get up to about episode #10 of season one.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I typically keep two hour length shows and two half hour length shows in rotation until one is completed and then just switch it out with another of the same length. On any given night I'll try to watch 2 eps. of hour length programming and 2-4 of half hour length. Some nights a movie gets put into the mix. Weekends usually are several movies and sometimes a mini-marathon of a TV series. When one gets switched out it the replacement selection depends on my mood at the time. Sometimes it'll be a series I just purchased and others it'll be one that's been waiting on the shelf for years.

Midnight Mike

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike
Hi all, I just signed up today. Long time lurker, first time poster.

I like to start the evening watching what I’m in the mood for (which right now usually Wild Wild West). But then what I like to do is watch other shows that were originally on that same week in the 1960’s. For Example, I’ll watch a WWW that aired November 17th, 1967, and then I like to watch a Man from UNCLE and Mission Impossible or perhaps an I Spy, that aired that same week. It’s fun to see what all the spy shows were doing in comparison to each other. Another way I’ll watch is by particular Guest Stars. Last weekend I watched a Carroll O’Conner Triple feature. Time Tunnel, Man From UNCLE and Wild Wild West. (I don’t remember the names of the particular episodes).

Midnight Mike

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike
Hi all, I just signed up today. Long time lurker, first time poster.

I like to start the evening watching what I’m in the mood for (which right now usually Wild Wild West). But then what I like to do is watch other shows that were originally on that same week in the 1960’s. For Example, I’ll watch a WWW that aired November 17th, 1967, and then I like to watch a Man from UNCLE and Mission Impossible or perhaps an I Spy, that aired that same week. It’s fun to see what all the spy shows were doing in comparison to each other. Another way I’ll watch is by particular Guest Stars. Last weekend I watched a Carroll O’Conner Triple feature. Time Tunnel, Man From UNCLE and Wild Wild West. (I don’t remember the names of the particular episodes).

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters

I only do that with new purchases. What you described does not apply to old completed sets of mine-- those fall to the "at random" method. The reason why it only applies to new purchases of mine is because if I spent the money on purchasing it, I'd like to make sure that it does not go to waste.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
I used to marathon view. I stopped doing that. There's still a few shows I will watch 2 episodes back to back, or grave from day to day for a short time, but that's about it. I just grab a show I feel like watching, notate the next episode to watch on a small piece of paper placed inside the box, and put it back on the shelf after viewing. Then grab something different. This works the best. Variety seems to be the spice of my life.

I don't take any TV service either. Been pay TV free since around 2004, corresponding to when TechTV "died". Buying stuff to watch it leagues better! Anything else I want to see can be watched streaming off a channel's website, LOST, SURVIVOR, etc....

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
I'd like to ask everyone -- do you have any interest in MOVIES as well? Because with me, I mainly watch movies and I also have a ton of TV episodes in my collection! So it's a real pain trying ot get it all watched!

Pete Battista

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pete
For me... when it comes to movies vs. TV Series. I do have a basic routine I follow. Even though I will watch a movie here and there within the week I usually save my movie watching for the weekend. I consider a weekend as a 3 day thing for this. Friday - Sunday.

I will still try to fit in some episodes during the weekend too though. That is what I watch the most!
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters

There are a few movies that I enjoy, like "Forrest Gump," "Field of Dreams," "Airplane," "Home Alone 2," and "Who Framed Roger Rabbit."

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
I'm like Pete with the movie-viewing. Occasionally I'll put in a movie but only on a weekend day.

"Midnight Mike", welcome to the "posting" world at HTF
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif
I've seen some others post with the same viewing idea as yours. watching some shows as they aired back in the 60's. I've done a litte of that myself with the same shows as yours, Time Tunnel & WWW.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks