What's new

How do you approach watching TV series? (1 Viewer)

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray

I actually prefer to watch a movie (preferably something recorded from TCM) if time permits -- but by the end of a long day, there's usually just time enough for a TV show.

I usually watch about three or four titles concurrently throughout the week. Right now, I'm watching Bewitched Season 3, Petticoat Junction Season 1 and Burke's Law Season 1.

I really enjoyed watching The Beverly Hillbillies Season 1 a couple of years ago. It just happened that I watched the pilot episode within days of the anniversary of its original airdate. So, given that it was one of the rare shows that constantly made reference to holidays and seasonal changes (episodes devoted to Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas, spring cleaning and more), I decided to watch it religiously on the same date as originally aired. It was fun celebrating each of the seasons concurrently with the Clampetts.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Don't walk in front of a semi truck and you'll most likely have plenty of time in your life to watch it all a few times over. ;)

I just go with my cravings. If my high blood pressure meds aren't working so good I'll usually watch more TV shows. If I'm chillin I'll usually watch a movie or 2 with some shows mixed in if there is enough time.

Walter C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Walter
I use different approaches, depending on my mood. Sometimes, I will go through 3 to 4 shows at a time, all the way through. Other times, I've used the method that the cable networks have used with their shows, and that is to divide up their seasons in halves. I would rotate between the halves. With older shows, I restrict myself to one season per year.

With current shows, when I have caught up with that show, I would switch to another, until that current show reaches the limit, then I return to that show (which is the case of keeping up with shows online). Lately, I have limited myself to watching 1 episode of a show per day.

Gregory V

Stunt Coordinator
I don't really have a regular schedule...I just watch whatever strikes me at the time.
Right now I'm on a Bewitched, Will & Grace, Everybody Loves Raymond, Supernatural and Petticoat Junction kick. I feel a Dark Shadows marathon coming on though......

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
Well yes, but silly me, I have a preference for watching a movie in one sitting (more or less). And for action movies, I'd like where possible to have the HT system on, at a nice level. So most evenings after work, this isn't possible since I don't usually have 2+ hrs in the evening, and because it's late it isn't feasible to turn the HT up. By default I wind up watching TV shows, which at most are an hour (in reality, 45 mins or so). Ironically, if it's something quite engrossing, I end up watching 2 or even 3 episodes at a time (1.5 hrs or 2.25 hrs).

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith
While I changed up my approach since starting this thread and seeing how other people watch their TV series. I had so many available shows in the closet that it was a bit overwhelming to choose. And trying to watch even a season of one was too much due to anticipation in what I had sitting in the wings. For the most part the shows I have are not like 24 where each episode ends in a cliffhanger.

So I grabbed a single disk from a variety of shows (i.e., Big Valley, Texan, Time Tunnel, Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea, Outer Limits, and Twilight Zone) . I pick one disk from there based on mood and watch about two hours a night. As I finish a disk I'll put it back and pull out the next from the same series, but I watch all from one disk in a given night.

For me this approach allows me to adjust my selection based on mood for a given night while maintaining continuity for a evening my sticking to one show per night. It also provides multiple genres to choose from while limiting it to a number that is not overwhelming. I appreciate all the feedback and hope others gained from the diverse approaches provided.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks