What's new

HOW CAN THE STUDIOS TOP THE EXCELLENT CLASSIC BLU-RAY OUTPUT OF 2012? (1 Viewer)

Martin Teller

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin Teller
My most-wanted "classics" (pre-1990) on Blu-Ray:
Revenge of a Kabuki Actor
Scenes from a Marriage
Time of the Gypsies
The Apu trilogy (Criterion rumored)
The Exterminating Angel
Mahanagar
Charulata
Pratidwandi
Devi
A Woman Under the Influence
Aguirre: The Wrath of God
Cairo Station
Jules and Jim
Double Indemnity
Eraserhead (as good as confirmed from Criterion)
The Girl Can't Help It
Napoléon
Nights of Cabiria
A Page of Madness
Red Beard
Shame (Bergman)
The Trial
The Dead (Huston)
Fires on the Plain
I Fidanzati
The Lineup
Nightmare Alley
Picnic at Hanging Rock
The Wicker Man
Woman in the Dunes
War and Peace
All That Jazz
Beyond the Forest
The Conformist
Drowning by Numbers
Even Dwarfs Started Small
F for Fake
Limite
Odds Against Tomorrow
Winter Light
Xanadu
The 7th Victim
Blast of Silence
Un Chien Andalou
Do The Right Thing (with correct color timing)
Funeral Parade of Roses
The Man With A Movie Camera
Meghe Dhaka Tara (The Cloud-Capped Star)

Adam4Rizzel

Agent
Real Name
Adam J
Other than some of the fantastic titles already announced, I love to see: Stranger Than Paradise (1984) from Criterion Sesame Street Presents: Follow that Bird (1985) from Warner Looney Tunes: Back in Action (2003) from Warner The Powerpuff Girls Movie (2002) from Warner A continuation of the HD Looney Tune sets from Warner A continuation of the HD Tom and Jerry sets from Warner Good Burger (1997) from Paramount/Warner The Rugrats Movie (1998) from Paramount/Warner Snow Day (2000) from Paramount/Warner Rugrats in Paris: The Movie (2000) from Paramount/Warner Jimmy Neutron: Boy Genius (2001) from Paramount/Warner Clockstoppers (2002) from Paramount/Warner Hey Arnold!: The Movie (2002) from Paramount/Warner The Wild Thornberrys Movie (2002) from Paramount/Warner Rugrats Go Wild (2003) from Paramount/Warner Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events (2004) from Paramount/Warner The Adventures of Rocky and Bullwinkle (2000) from Universal Big Fat Liar (2002) from Universal Flushed Away (2006) from Dreamworks Howard Stern's Private Parts (1997) from Paramount/Universal Agent Cody Banks (2003) from MGM Agent Cody Banks 2: Destination London (2004) from MGM Hanna-Barbera cartoons like Scooby-Doo, Flintstones, Pac-Man, etc. from Warner/Warner Archive The Time Machine (1960) from Warner Max Keeble's Big Move (2001) from Disney Blu-Ray versions of the Walt Disney Treasure sets from Disney Honey, I Shrunk the Kids (1989) from Disney Honey, I Blew Up the Kid (1992) from Disney Honey, We Shrunk Ourselves (1997) from Disney Lilo & Stitch (2002) from Disney Stitch! The Movie (2003) from Disney Lilo & Stitch 2: Stitch Has a Glitch (2005) from Disney Leroy & Stitch (2006) from Disney The Lizzie McGuire Movie (2003) from Disney Holes (2003) from Disney The Country Bears (2002) from Disney Teacher's Pet (2004) from Disney The Emperor's New Groove (2000) from Disney Kronk's New Groove (2005) from Disney Piglet's Big Movie (2003) from Disney A Goofy Movie (1995) from Disney An Extremely Goofy Movie (2000) from Disney Buzz Lightyear of Star Command: The Adventure Begins (2000) from Disney Song of the South (1946) from Disney The Great Muppet Caper (1981) from Disney Just to name a few that are on my mind. Many other classic films that aren't listed, would be greatly appreciated :)

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
The thread asks, "How can the studios top the excellent classic Blu-ray output of 2012?" My answer is a general one: Just keep it coming. Don't stop now. (Which will bankrupt me in the process, but we can't let these little obstacles get in the way of what should have been happening for, what, the past five years? And is now finally happening?) Sure, mistakes get made. Some releases come with small disappointments, some with a whole laundry list of bad news. So keep working on getting better. It will be nice to see a few things corrected some day, but above all, keep moving forward.

EnricoE

Supporting Actor
make them better? how about... stop using dnr without proper knowledge and we wont see crap like goldeneye again re-scan movies and not use old hd masters stop cropping title sequences, e.g. thunderball, le mans prohibit up-converts to be sold as hd, e.g. escape from new york (uk blu-ray), leviathan (german blu-ray) always include the original theatrical version if an extended edition/special edition/director's cut is on disc always include the original theatrical audio mix in lossless audio always include normal subtitles alongside of sdh subtitles - i'm looking at you fox, universal, criterion, warner bros. always include the theatrical trailer of the movie in hd - if fox and mgm can do on almost all their blu-ray, so can other studios as well restore more movies from their mpaa butcher fate, e.g. total recall (1990), event horizon

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Originally Posted by EnricoE
make them better? how about...
stop using dnr without proper knowledge and we wont see crap like goldeneye again
re-scan movies and not use old hd masters
stop cropping title sequences, e.g. thunderball, le mans
prohibit up-converts to be sold as hd, e.g. escape from new york (uk blu-ray), leviathan (german blu-ray)
always include the original theatrical version if an extended edition/special edition/director's cut is on disc
always include the original theatrical audio mix in lossless audio
always include normal subtitles alongside of sdh subtitles - i'm looking at you fox, universal, criterion, warner bros.
always include the theatrical trailer of the movie in hd - if fox and mgm can do on almost all their blu-ray, so can other studios as well
restore more movies from their mpaa butcher fate, e.g. total recall (1990), even horizon

And:
Do what you need to elsewhere, but keep the original studio logo, as seen when originally released, on the running of the film itself.

EnricoE

Supporting Actor
Chas in CT said:
And: Do what you need to elsewhere, but keep the original studio logo, as seen when originally released, on the running of the film itself.
:tu: damn right

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
How to top 2012, constant quality; if every release met a standard and we had no complaints of DNR abominations or old transfers used that were not up to the proper presentation, that would be a start.
But as this also appears to be a wish list as well I could throw a few in the hat as well. So many titles that I would love to see get a proper treatment.
Anchor Bay: Ilsa, She Wolf of the SS (guilty pleasure)
Columbia/Sony : The Three Stooges Shorts, so much work went in to the restorations, the DVD sets are great, but could use the boost to make it better, would ask for a few more things in the way of extras
Any of the Capra films, but let’s start with It Happened One Night, Mr. Deeds Goes To Town and Mr. Smith Goes To Washington. And All The Kings Men
CBS: Continue with Trek, and look at I Love Lucy
Criterion: Apu (rumored), Red River (rumored for some time now), Pandora’s Box, Ace in the Hole (upgrade) Detour (Ulmer)
Disney: Mary Poppins, 20 Thousand Leagues Under The Sea, and grow up and do a Limited release of Song Of The South (or think of licensing to one of the Independants)
Fox: Lifeboat, Charlie Chan, The Fly (Price) and thanks for the Vote your choice program
Lionsgate: On Golden Pond, The Crying Game
Kino: Diary Of A Lost Girl, More Griffith
MGM: Brannagh’s Henry V, The Black Stallion, more Woody Allen, Corman/Price/Poe Box Set
Paramount: Beowulf 3D, Samson & Delilah, Shane, War Of The Worlds (Pal), Martin & Lewis, Romeo & Juliet (1968)
Twilight Time: just continue to impress, and if at all possible some more extras, beyond the marvelous scores
WB: Strange Brew, Showboat ( long rumored), The Right Stuff, Hammer Big Three (Horror of Dracula, Curse Of Frankenstein, The Mummy), Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome, Mystery Of The Wax Museum, Mister Roberts, Thing From Another World, Them!, Batman:TAS, Batman: Mask Of The Phantasam, Batman:SubZero
WB/ Goldwyn: The Best Years Of Our Lives, The Pride Of The Yankees, Ball Of Fire, Wuthering Heights
WB/New Line: jump into New Lines past; The Mack, Street Fighter Trilogy (Sonny Chiba)
Universal: start by offering replacement disc for Spartacus, and The Man Who Knew Too Much, three times to finally get Out of Africa right, is not endearing to consumers
Marx Brothers Box from new restorations done correctly like the Monster set was done, Classic Monsters Set Volume 2: (Dracula’s Daughter, Son Of Frankenstein, Ghost Of Frankenstein, Revenge Of The Creature 3D, Werewolf Of London)
Universal Classic Sci-Fi Collection ( The Incredible Shrinking Man, This Island Earth, Tarantula, It Came From Outer Space 3D)

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I've just ordered The Quiet Man, & in a couple of months time there's Samson & Delilah (& of course there's going to be a Blu, maybe via Warner), & then there's The Great Escape this year (scanned from the original negs). Releases from Fox & Warner (& the Warner Blu Archive) Olive & Twilight Time, & this is only January. I think this year will be better than last year (which was better than the year before), but some many thousands of movies, there'll always be wants lists, & I'll always be able to think of a few more titles.

L

Larry-Bender

Warner -Please give us-THE WIND AND THE LION---RYANS DAUGHTER----LOCAL HERO---THE GREAT RACE---HEAVEN AND EARTH---MICHAEL COLLINS -

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
Billy Batson said:
In a couple of months time there's Samson & Delilah (& of course there's going to be a Blu, maybe via Warner).
And when is THIS going to happen? Probably some time in 2014 or 15, that is if they don't forget altogether. Nothing is recent history has me as angry as this idiotic decision on Paramount's part.

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
ajabrams said:
And someone, anyone, should clear the rights to Kevin Brownlow's invaluable HOLLYWOOD, THE PIONEERS and give us an official dvd or even better, BD release!!
Also, Warners could get off their duff and release BDs of THE FOUR HORSEMEN OF THE APOCALYPSE, THE WIND, GREED, THE STUDENT PRINCE and THE CROWD, utilizing the Brownlow restorations and the gorgeous Davis orchestral scores. When Kevin Brownlow spoke at a FOUR HORSEMEN screening in L.A. last year, he lamented the lack of interest the studio has in such an endeavor. And, he has tried to get them interested repeatedly.

L

Larry-Bender

Paramount- please release--1492-----ORDINARY PEOPLE---WITNESS----ANGELAS ASHES.---RAGTIME--CHILDREN OF A LESSER GOD----TALENTED MR RIPLEY

L

Larry-Bender

MGM please release---IN THE HEAT OF THE NIGHT----PENNIES FROM HEAVEN------KHARTOUM-----FAR FROM THE MADDING CROWD---HAWAII----MISSISSIPPI BURNING----GOODBYE MR CHIPS-----SHOOT THE MOON.

L

Larry-Bender

FOX-Please release---THE BLUE MAX---AGONY AND THE ECSTASY------DOCTOR DOLITTLE-----STAR!

moviepas

Supporting Actor
War and Peace
Which one? Paramount or the Russian one?
I understand the Russian one had release with two different opening scenes. The original appears to have been a war inspired noisy cannon fire one, appropriate to the film and a later one that was passive scanning a field of flowers.
A nice color film from UK would be the early 50s The Importance of Being Earnest in BD.
I would hope more pre-1939 UK Hitchcock's will front this year on BD. I am looking, specifically, Sabotage.
One area I have seen little of in their original released state is many Paramount pre-1948 color films. I have seen most in b&w on early TV but it is time Universal decided to Blu Ray them and get them out there.
The Fleischer animated color features in the correct ratio.
The 1933 State Fair as a collection with the two other remakes and extras they might have on these titles.
The Robe in a copy on BD I can play. Mine never did on any BD machine or computer drive I have. South Pacific was the same but I got the UK version when it came out and it works fine. No such luck for a UK of The Robe to replace my dud.
The Samuel Bronstons not done as promised: 55 Days at Peking & Circus World.
The Maxim Gorky Trilogy.
The Cranes Are Flying.
Tabu(1931).
The Song of Norway properly done complete.
3-D Shorts from the 1950s.
And so on......

fxrh

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sam Calvin
Somebody mentioned ZULU. No need to wait on that one as the UK version is Region 1/A and the transfer is incredible. I can't think of any Blu-ray that can top it in terms of picture quality. A Harryhausen title that slipped through somehow is the Warners classic THE BEAST FROM 20,000 FATHOMS. My most-desired Blu-ray is THE NINTH CONFIGURATION. I'd love to see this from Warners (or, better yet, Criterion). The non-anamorphic DVD of this movie leaves much to be desired.

Jeffrey:K

Second Unit
Originally Posted by fxrh
Somebody mentioned ZULU. No need to wait on that one as the UK version is Region 1/A and the transfer is incredible. I can't think of any Blu-ray that can top it in terms of picture quality.
Some people have complained that the transfer has been DNR'ed to death, so that the image looks "waxy", with little fine detail. I haven't seen the disc myself.
Paramount now owns the worldwide rights to ZULU, so it's likely that any official US release would use the same master.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks