What's new

Horror's that have the best surround sound? (1 Viewer)

Adam Boatwright

Auditioning
Can someone name a few with good sound? I have been through numerous action movies, now I want to try some horror movies with good sound effects.

Thank you!

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The Others has some very effective use of surround, but don't expect "action movie" style effects.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
That's the one that immediately came to mind.

The Haunting (1999) has been praised for it's reference quality soundtrack as much as it's been reviled for just about everything else.

--
H

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Regarding The Others, if your goal is to sit there and be constantly blown away by surround effects, you will be disappointed. In fact, you will probably get 30 minutes into the movie and be asking why on earth I recommended it. Just wait. I recently watched it for the first time in a couple years, and there were some points where I jumped right out of my chair, all because of the effective use of surround. Besides, unlike The Haunting (We're talking the remake here), it doesn't suck painfully. It's a very good movie.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Modern horror films have the BEST surround tracks. The quality of the films themselves are another matter. Some that I really enjoy for the sound if not much else:

Boogeyman
The Messengers
Darkness Falls (must be watched in a pitch black room :) )
Silent Hill

SteveJKo

Second Unit

It most definitely deserves the praise it receives for it's use of sound. Unfortunately it also deserves being reviled for the overall product.

Allan^L

Stunt Coordinator
I found both American Grudge movies to have incredible use of surround sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
royalserena
Recent bookmarks