What's new

What's the movie where the OSS morph’s into CIA at end of WW2 to provide American business with intelligence? (1 Viewer)

JonSmythe

Auditioning
Real Name
Jon
Hi!
I'm trying to remember a movie I saw, shown in color, seen some 3, 4, maybe 5 years ago (but that does not necessarily mean it was made then - it could have been made before 2018) on Netflix (or was it Amazon??) about the O.S.S. ("Office of Strategic Services") the WW2 precursor to the CIA.

It goes into the formation of the OSS and its activities during WW2 with drama thrown in for good measure of course - its a movie!

But the real punchline comes at the end in its last few minutes.

We see the head of the OSS, or at least a key man of the OSS, who was shown throughout the movie, faced with his organization's de-funding and elimination because the general sentiment in Washington is that the OSS is no longer needed now that the war is over and won. He is *desperate* to keep his organization going.

This scene is of a room full of men gathered before him. They give the impression of being major American Businesssmen, Industrialists, (or their representatives) etc.

This OSS key man then asks them what would be the value, to them, of having an organization that could provide them with intelligence on EVERYthing going on around the world going forward, now that the war is over and won?

After presenting this the next scene is the CIA being formed in 1947 and a few images, but the message is clear: the CIA continues to serve . . . *American* business interests.

It showed, at its very end, that the function of the CIA is to provide intelligence to American Business, to ensure American Business success, that American Business stays #1 in the world . . . that the CIA has nothing to do with American's "interests", American's "security" nor ensuring "human rights" all over the world or any other such propaganda . . . that the CIA is all about the money . . . American Big Business money.

Anyone remember the name of this movie?

Thanks!!!

YANG

Screenwriter
The Good Shepherd background hovers around the U.S. Russia cold war period... that would be roughly... ehh... 10~15yrs away from WW2?

JonSmythe

Auditioning
Real Name
Jon
I hope you find the name of the movie or show. Sounds interesting.
So do I.
Because the scene at the end is SO telling of how the world truly works.
You want the truthe?
Follow the money.
Money never lies.
The trick is finding, and pulling, the thread that ties all the dots together.
CIA "shadow companies" galore.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Jeez. After all this back and forth and it’s not even a movie? Hilarious 😆

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I thought from the start that it could be a limited series or TV movie. However, according to the Wikipedia synopsis The Company does not quite meet the OP's description. The OP says it is about the OSS during WW2 and that at the end of the movie/show the OSS morphs into the CIA. All the movies and shows suggested so far seem to be set later in the Cold War and involve the Kim Philby storyline. I suggested The Catcher Was a Spy because I knew it was set during WW2 (I have not seen the movie) and involved the OSS. The already-suggested The Good Shepherd involves the OSS/CIA transition in flashback scenes. I have not seen that one either, but it does sound like a strong possibility.

JonSmythe

Auditioning
Real Name
Jon
i hope TS could give a few name of the casts such that we could go through some filmographies for hints...
Believe me, so do I !!
Unfortunately, I don't recall any cast member.

Even the OSS keyman shown throughout, and at the end giving his talk
to the American business Magnates to convince them that its in their
own --invaluable-- best interests to keep the OSS going does not
have a familiar face :-((

That said, I am very thankful for all the interest and suggestions!
I'm sure that with enough head-knocking the title will surface!

Happy New Year to all!
🎉🥳

JonSmythe

Auditioning
Real Name
Jon
I thought from the start that it could be a limited series or TV movie. However, according to the Wikipedia synopsis The Company does not quite meet the OP's description. The OP says it is about the OSS during WW2 and that at the end of the movie/show the OSS morphs into the CIA. All the movies and shows suggested so far seem to be set later in the Cold War and involve the Kim Philby storyline. I suggested The Catcher Was a Spy because I knew it was set during WW2 (I have not seen the movie) and involved the OSS. The already-suggested The Good Shepherd involves the OSS/CIA transition in flashback scenes. I have not seen that one either, but it does sound like a strong possibility.
Not The Good Shepherd as it has Matt Damon, who I would have remembered.

Yes, the key scene is at the very end --no longer than 5-6 min's-- where the OSS keyman,
now facing the extinction of his beloved OSS, makes the pitch to the American Business Magnates
asking them what would be the value to them of having access to all goings on, with every country,
around the world, at all times (not the exact words, but the idea). There is no verbalized response
heard from these men. The final scene is some 2 years later, and its clear that the OSS is gone
but the CIA is alive . . . and well.

Thanks for your analysis! Helpful!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks