What's new

Home Theater Set up 2.1 Stereo Questions (1 Viewer)

dylanmitchell

Auditioning
Real Name
Matthew
I'm setting up a 2.1 stereo system with my Roku and tv and have some questions about audio downmixing to stereo. This is a good small music system I'm also using to watch TV and movies. I'm looking for help understanding how downmixing to 2 channel stereo for my system works. I understand a 2 channel system doesn't have a center for voice so it's split between left and right speakers and obviously not surround sound with 2 speakers. What I'm wondering is how audio is coming through to me if it is stereo or something like downmixed 5.1 digital surrounds from movies or tv.

Samsung tv one connect mini box is connected to the stereo receiver via an optical cord, the Roku and cox mini box are connected to it via hdmi, the Roku is set to stereo out, and I believe the mini box is stereo only. vs other audio formats for standard cable boxes

So if I'm listening in two-channel stereo where is that signal coming from and is it downmixed and what device would be downmixing it? Is Roku programming like Hulu, Netfilix, Amazon video, etc. getting downmixed to stereo y the Roku? The stere receiver has a DAC but doesn't have a downmixing capability like a AVR with HDMI passthrough.

Goal is to understand how I'm getting my audio and to make the current equipment sound the best. May upgrade in future to AVR with passthrough and better speakers but want to do the best with what I have for now. My priority is music so a good 2.1 system is my preference even for movies and tv's. I think it's part of being a Luddite.

Equipment

Samsung UN40JU7100 with the One Connect Mini with the HDMI, USB, Optical connections

Denon D-M41 mini system CD Receiver 30 W+30 W (6 ohms, 1 kHz) for speakers and MONO output for the subwoofer Denon SC41 2 way bookshelf speakers drivers are 4.72 in woofer, .98 in soft dome tweeter
Adding sub probably a 8 or 10 inch TBA for 2.1 system

Roku Ultra 2017 version

Cox Mini Box basic TV

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
You need to clarify, because you said "the Roku and cox mini box are connected to it via hdmi" with "it" being the stereo receiver. Except it doesn't have any hdmi connections, so it can't be connected that way. The audio system you have doesn't mix anything down. It's a two channel system, with a subwoofer output. So, I can answer all your questions, in a way, because any downmixing that's done has to be done before the audio gets to the Denon.

dylanmitchell

Auditioning
Real Name
Matthew
Thanks. I'll try to clarify. Also how many folks use 2 channel stereo set up for home theatre? My 2.1 is set up to be a music system first but I also think tv and movies sound great on a quality 2.1 set up vs soundbars or some of the basic HTIB 5.1.

Have a 2015 Samsung TV that uses the One Connect Mini box basically takes the hdmi, optical, etc connections that would be on the tv and puts them in a mini box you connect to the tv. My connections all go into the One Connect Mini Box and it's connected to the TV.

My Cox cable and Roku go into the One Connect Min box and I have an optical out from the mini box to my 2 channel receiver. It's digital I think a PCM signal of 2 channel stereo going to the receiver where the receiver DAC converts it.

Cox Mini Box does HDTV but thinks it's stereo only vs standard boxes so is it downmixing or getting a stereo only signal from Cox? It's for the basic channel packaged 4-22.

Roku is set to Stereo Audio Mode so is Roku converting the signal to stereo than passing on? For example 5.1 digital downmixed to 2 channel stereo?

The Cox mini box is connected to the tv's one connect min box via hdmi.

The Roku is connected to the tv's one connect min box via hdmi.

Attachments

• ju7100-inputs-back-small.jpg
    ju7100-inputs-back-small.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 147

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks