What's new
World Wide Stereo

Help DVD question (1 Viewer)

Nathan s c

Grip
I'm trying to decide which dvd player to get. I want excellent audio. I have a set of paradigm studio 100's and don't want to miss anything. I'm lacking in the tv department currently using a toshiba cinema series standard 32 inch tv with component video and svhs connects. I plan on upgrading in a couple of years to a hd plasma or lcd but still a couple of years off. I'm going back and forth between denon 2900 ($300) and the 2910($450). I'm leaning towards the 2910 but after I upgrade the tv I could use the 2910 and I think it will have better performance on video over the 2900 but knowing me I will have to have a new hd-dvd after the upgrade. will I be waisting $150 by going with the 2910? Help Help I have not kept up with all the changes and can't decide.
Thank You
Nathan

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

mylan

Screenwriter
I have the 2910 and can tell you video and audio are both excellent, that being said, if you will not be upgrading your display for two years it would seem a waste not to utilize upconversion via HDMI. If you have a receiver that supports SACD or DVD-audio playback, you can have access to those formats just as they are fading into oblivion. If it were me, i'd get at least the Denon 1920 with HDMI just in case you decide to upgrade your display sooner but wait for blu-ray or HD-DVD.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Nathan, since you're asking for purchasing advice, please post in the appropriate hardware-related area (which is where this is now located). The Basics area is for general discussion of home theater at the beginner level. Thank you.

Nathan s c

Grip
Thanks Mylan Sorry Jeff
Mylan my tv does not have the hdmi input so I didn't think it would give me any advantages to have a player that had hdmi except for being able to use it when I upgraded the tv. I'll check my reciever which is a NAD t763 to see if there is a way to go through the component hook up but hdmi to the reciever
Nathan

mylan

Screenwriter
No, I do not think that will work, I believe it has to be HDMI all the way. The NAD probably does not have HDMI since it is relatively new on receivers and NAD is slow to incorporate changes. That is the only reason I suggested going with the 1920 so you would have HDMI if you upgraded your TV sooner rather than later, you also would have to upgrade your receiver if it is not equipped with HDMI. It is not necessary to run video through the receiver, just run components straight from the DVD to the TV for now. Video switching is a convenience feature anyway so you won't have switch audio and video inputs manually.

Nathan s c

Grip
Ok Mylan this now makes a little more sence to me now. Thanks for every thing by the way I stopped by a local costco today to look at Hdtv and I have a feeling that I'm going to have to get my wife to work a little more overtime. Daddy needs a new tv soon. The panasonic and the toshibas sure look good to me
nathan

mylan

Screenwriter
Good luck on getting the wife to work overtime for your toys! Yeah though, keep the NAD, buy a decent upconverting DVD player with HDMI and get the new HDMI-equipped tv and you'll be good to go. The ONLY thing you'll give up is having the receiver switch A/V inputs for you. You can either just use two remotes or get your wife to work a couple more hours and spring for one of those universal remote, like the Harmony 880 and let it do all you need.
Lemme know how that wife-working -overtime thingy goes, it might try it on mine!;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sunday Billy
Recent bookmarks