What's new

HDR question (1 Viewer)

John Wachter

Auditioning
I have a Samsung UN55RU7300FXZA Curved 55-Inch 4K UHD 7 Series Ultra HD Smart TV I picked up this summer, my first 4k UHD TV. All my components run to the set through a Pioneer Elite VSX LX104 receiver, also new because my old Pioneer didn't pass through 4k. Been using an Xfinity 4k box, Netflix, Amazon Prime etc included. I got a PS5 yesterday, and can't figure out why the HDR won't work, I get a message about the connected device not being HDR compatible or something similar.. In the PS5 if I turn HDR on, it gives me a message that the my setup doesn't support it and it has to default to a resolution of 1080 if I try to use it. I have the newer, high speed HDMI cables, everything feed to the receiver with one HDMI to the TV.

Does anyone see any obvious problems or have any advice here?

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
I assume HDR is working from the XFinity box? If so I would connect the PS5 to the HDMI input currently used by XFinity and see what happens. If that doesn't work then connect the PS5 directly to the TV. These steps should at least narrow the issue down a bit.

xx Brian xx

Second Unit
Real Name
Brian
Go into Expert Settings and make sure HDR+ is turned on. Also check to see that you are plugged in to an HDMI that supports HDR. Some TV's only do HDR on certain inputs.

Brian

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
I had a problem similar to this with my TCL and a DirecTV box. Basically the solution was to force HDMI 2.0 on that particular input.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Wondering if this might have something to do with your issue as the PS5 does have this chip.

John Wachter

Auditioning
Found the issue

" PS5 uses decompressed signal of 4k 120hz for gaming. Current AVRs handle 4k 60hz. "

Lame. I know I could plug into TV but I don't want to have to do any more than switch AVR to 'game' and play. Not change to ARC input on AVR, then also change inputs on TV. Plus I value the sound, my TVs output leaves much to be desired in quality. Is this even possible thru firmware? Any SOny folks have input on this?

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Found the issue

" PS5 uses decompressed signal of 4k 120hz for gaming. Current AVRs handle 4k 60hz. "

Lame. I know I could plug into TV but I don't want to have to do any more than switch AVR to 'game' and play. Not change to ARC input on AVR, then also change inputs on TV. Plus I value the sound, my TVs output leaves much to be desired in quality. Is this even possible thru firmware? Any SOny folks have input on this?
Right. 4K @120Hz is part of the developing HDMI 2.1 standard, which practically no AVR supports at this point but Sony says you shouldn't need it for the PS5 anyway. Backward compatibility is pretty standard in the industry so I would expect it here.

John Wachter

Auditioning
Found a fix per Pioneer support. I had been told about similar methods, but apparently this all has to be done on the Pioneer itself, not using the remote

To change the 4k signal format, from the front of the unit (you will not use the remote for this) while pressing and holding the HOME MENU button, press and hold the PERSONAL PRESET 3 to display the current setting on the display. Keep holding the HOME MENU button and repeatedly press the PERSONAL PRESET to the correct setting is displayed.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annefnlys01
Recent bookmarks