What's new

HD-A2 upgrade is now available for download. Now version 2.5! (1 Viewer)

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Mark,

You're not alone, many others have the same problem. If you're getting a "no update available" message it's not a connection problem. I've successfully done these updates on the 1st generation players but can't get it to work on my new HDA2.

Mine is a Nov. build date made in China--if you could check the serial number tag on the back of your player and see when and where your player was made perhaps we can track down what's going on.

Mark Bendiksen

Screenwriter
Good idea, Steve. I'll check out the serial number tag.

The message I'm getting is "Can not find out server". (I love the way they place a space between "can" and "not", by the way.)

I did some searching on the web last night and many folks in my boat said that bypassing their routers entirely solved the problem, so I may give that a whirl. The funny part is that I'm a software developer by trade and so I kind of pride myself on being able to do these sorts of "simple" things....heh heh heh. However, whether I go by DHCP or whether I assign a fixed IP, the player still isn't happy. I just hate mysteries I can't seem to solve. :)

Racer57

Auditioning
Real Name
Roger
As of the date of this post, don't even waste your time trying to upgrade the firmware for your A2. With numerous attempts over the last two days, I finally got the scoop from a Toshiba tech this AM that they, Toshiba, is aware the internet connection has problems and are working on it. That was not the story I received from a tech the previous day.

He did however indicate that I should wait until the update disk is available. Of course I asked him when that might be and he indicated that he had been told "two weeks or so".

I did e-mail TACP and suggested to them (the customer support area) that they might wish to update their site to reflect that the internet update is not working at this point time. Sure would save a bunch of us a lot of hassle.

Roger

Ps. Yes, I did go by the book when trying to do the update and tried everything imaginable including TCP address, etc.

Racer57

Auditioning
Real Name
Roger
An update: This is the complete text of the Q&A and response from Toshiba.

Cubrina:

Thank you very much for your prompt response. But....I still think that you (Toshiba) should so indicate on the Website this information. There are many of us videophiles that believe in the Toshiba brand name and are supporting HD DVD rather than BR. So we rely on your customer service support tremendously. If an individual such as myself has e-mailed you then we would appreciate you notifying us by e-mail when the upgrade disc is available. Otherwise, please indicate on the Website when the disc is available and how to obtain same. And this should apply to future upgrades.

BTW, congratulations on your liason with Universal Studios. That is a tremendous step forward in increasing your market share of the HD format. Please work on Disney and Dreamworks.

Regards,

Roger
----- Original Message -----
To: [email protected]
Sent: Wednesday, January 31, 2007 1:03 PM
Subject: Re: TACP Web Email: Product Related Question [#1537107]

Dear Roger:

Thanks for writing! I apologize for the inconvenience. The update disc should be available in about 2 weeks. If you call at that time, we would be happy to send it to you.

For further assistance, please write back or call our Customer Solutions Department at 1-800-319-6684. They are available Mon-Fri, 8AM to 7PM Central time.

Cubrina

Toshiba Customer Service

This electronic transmission message is intended only for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed. The information in this transmission may be proprietary, confidential, privileged and exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If the reader of this Notice is not the intended recipient (or the employee or agent responsible for delivering the message to the intended recipient), you are hereby notified that any use, dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please immediately notify us by telephone (at our expense) or by e-mail and destroy the material transmitted to you in error. Thank you for your cooperation.

--Original Message--
Date: 1/31/2007 11:54:00 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: TACP Web Email: Product Related Question

Submitted from TACP Web Site on 1/31/2007 at 9:54:38 AM

It would be very helpful to all if you would post under "updates and notices" that it is impossible to install new firmware on the HD DVD A2 player via the internet. This was confirmed by one of your technicians as of this date (01/31/07). I had tried about 12 times following the directions exactly. I, and I am sure others, are very anxious to receive the upgrade diskette as it would appear that this is the only way, at least at this point in time, this upgrade can be accomplished. Realistically, when can we expect such a disk? Roger Cone

Adam Barratt

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
The HD-A2 firmware 1.2 CD-ROM ISO is now available for download here (and at the following mirrors: Mirror 1 | Mirror 2 All servers US-based).

Download the file (37.3MB) and unzip. Then burn the unzipped ISO as a disc image (not directly to CD-ROM as a data disc).

For Windows XP SP2 or Server 2003 users, to quickly burn an ISO:
  1. Download and install ISO Recorder (360KB).
  2. Load a blank CD-ROM into your burner.
  3. Browse to the ISO file on your computer using Windows Explorer.
  4. Right-click the ISO file.
  5. Select 'Copy Image to CD'. The application will start.
  6. Click the 'Next' button. The image will be burnt and the CD-ROM ejected. Done.
Insert the CD-ROM into the HD-A2 (with your monitor/TV on and connected) and the disc will load automatically. Follow the onscreen instructions to begin the upgrade. The whole process should take 10 minutes or less. When the upgrade is complete, the disc tray will open and the player will turn off. Remove the disc and restart, your firmware version is now 1.2.

Notes:
1) Do not use this with the XA2, only the A2!
2) Burn to CD-ROM, not DVD: this won't work!
3) Do not unplug your HD-A2 while it is updating!
3) Proceed at your own risk with this update!

Remember:
  • Burn as an ISO image.
  • Use a good quality, unscratched blank CD-ROM.
  • Burn at a slow speed (4-8x).
  • If the update fails and your machine freezes, hard reboot it. It will remain at its current firmware version.
  • Try again with a new CD-ROM. If this fails, try a different brand of media.

Adam

Adam Barratt

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Try again with a new, clean, unmarked, good quality CD-ROM (I use Verbatim).
If that doesn't work, try burning with Nero or another image burner at your CD-ROM drive's slowest speed.
If that doesn't work, try a different brand of CD-ROM.

Adam

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
Worked here...burned using my iMac's disc utility.

That said, I am not using HDMI, thus nothing for me at this point. Someone had posted at AVS that disc load times were improved, but you can't prove it by me.

Brian

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

Black crush on HDMI to DVI ... not so great. Still there. 5% gray and below looks like black. :frowning:

Fixed a jerkiness effect I had with one of my burned HD DVD discs.

Regards

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Still dropout and studder issues for me. I'm really losing my patience with Toshiba (especially considering my experience with the HD-A1 last year).

Robert_Zohn

Value Electronics
Premium
Insider
Real Name
Robert Zohn
Dave, You should not be experiencing any of the trouble you are experiencing. Have you upgraded to 1.2?

BTW, to anyone who has not upgraded with the Canadian 1.2, DO NOT DO IT. The US version is different. It's no big deal, as the Canadian disc will not damage the player, but the US 1.2 upgrade is better for our players.

So only upgrade with the disc from Toshiba USA or the best method is the network download directly into the player.

-Robert

JustinCleveland

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Justin Cleveland
Has anyone received the disc from Toshiba yet? I'm wondering how long it will take, as the audio dropouts that come while playing a music CD are quite obnoxious.

Racer57

Auditioning
Real Name
Roger
Just got off of the phone with Toshiba. Disks are on Back Order. So of course I asked how much longer and I got the stock answer "maybe 2 weeks." Same tune as I got the last time I called 2 weeks ago. I asked the customer rep, "have any discs been shipped" and she responded with "it doesn't look like it." She indicated that all that had filled out the card or had phoned in would automatically receive one. I did verify that I was on the list. I wish I had better news, but that's all I've got for now.

Roger

Racer57

Auditioning
Real Name
Roger
How do a person know if a standard DVD is being upconverted? We've read that 1.2 firmware fixes certain issues of upconverting. Can't remember who but someone indicated that we are only getting 480i. Is that only on certain DVD's? Is it a subjective thing in viewing or is there a quantifiable way of knowing if your DVD is being upconverted and to what resolution?

Does this make any sense? I do have my A2 set to 1080i.

Roger

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
If your TV has an "Info" function (button), that may show the incoming resolution.

Cees

Racer57

Auditioning
Real Name
Roger
The 1.2 firmware disk really does exist I received it on Friday, February 23rd Actually, on Wednesday the 21st, I received an envelope from Toshiba that kinda looked like a packing list, but no disc. Then the padded envelope on Friday.

I followed the instructions included with the diskette. The update took approximately 15 minutes and the procedure went as advertised.

Have I noticed a difference as a result of the upgrade? No, not really. I wasn't having any problems before, but having said that I had only played one HD DVD and one S DVD thru the player since I've owned it.

Roger

Ps. I bought the Dirty Dozen on Saturday and boy does it look good!

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss

I'm with Justin - It is incredibly difficult for me to hook mine up to download directly, so if anyone has a download available that I could burn to disc, you would be doing me an enormous favour!
thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks