What's new

HD-A2 upgrade is now available for download. Now version 2.5! (1 Viewer)

Robert_Zohn

Value Electronics
Premium
Insider
Real Name
Robert Zohn
A2 firmware upgrade 2.0 [remove any disc from the tray first!]

Tell us what you think about the latest upgrade and fixes.

-Robert

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
I don't want to derail the thread but what does the A1 need? Mine is doing great with 2.0. (the slow load times will most likely only get fixed when I replace this beast of a machine :D)

Litespeed

Auditioning
Real Name
Tito
I click on Setup -> General -> Maintenance and choose Update and it says Update 1000/T17T

I choose Next, Next and choose OK for the license info and then it says "The software has already been updated. The updated process will end.

Is the firmware not available yet or am I doing something wrong ?

wolffcub

Agent
Real Name
Scott
Just because someone will eventually ask what it will fix I will post it up now......

Frequently Asked Questions:

Q1. What does this update do?

A1. This update addresses some problems Toshiba has identified with HDMI/DVI connectivity and disc playback.

Q2. When I connect my HD DVD Player to my HDTV or HD Monitor using a HDMI to DVI adaptor cable or a HDMI to DVI adaptor, the output resolution of the player remains fixed at 480i. Does the new firmware address this issue?

A2. This firmware update addresses the issue. Should you continue to experience problems, please contact Toshiba Customer Solutions at (800) 319-6684.

Q3. The HDMI output does not work or works intermittently with the HDMI or DVI input on my HDTV or monitor. Does the new firmware address that problem?

A3. The firmware update addresses and improves HDMI and DVI connectivity. If you still experience problems, try disconnecting and reconnecting the HDMI cable. Make sure your display input is set to HDMI (or DVI). If your display has more than one HDMI/DVI input, make sure that all connected HDMI/DVI source devices are powered on (even if not in use). If none of these solve the problem, please turn off the TV and the HD DVD player. Check all connections. Disconnect and reconnect the HDMI cable. Turn on the TV first and then turn on the HD DVD player. Should you continue to experience problems, please contact Toshiba Customer Solutions at (800) 319-6684.

Q4. During HD DVD playback I sometimes experience pixelization, block noise or audio dropouts. Sometimes playback freezes or stops. Sometimes, playback is not smooth. Does the new firmware address these issues?

A4. This firmware update addresses various playability issues. You should also check to be sure that the disc is clean and, if the disc will not operate at all, that you are inserting the disc with the right side up. Should you continue to experience problems, please contact Toshiba Customer Solutions at (800) 319-6684

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
The A1 came from the factory with the ethernet port inactive. If that's the same with the A2 (and I suppose it will be), then you need to setup the port first.

(Please don't take exception if you already and thoroughly did this! :) )

Cees

Litespeed

Auditioning
Real Name
Tito
The port has been configured and I think it's working because if I unplug it during the maintenance initialization (before it updates anything) it says cannot find the server.

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
Yes, I did set up the Ethernet port. At first it was just like you said, I was getting the 'can not find out server' error. I went in and turned on the port and activated DHCP and DNS and confirmed a DNS address. Then I went to update, and it gave me the 'Already updated' message.

It sounds like there are several people over on AVS that are having the same issue.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Does anyone know if this firmware will be downloadable from anywhere? I'd like to download it to my PC and burn it to a disc. My player is not networked.

Robert_Zohn

Value Electronics
Premium
Insider
Real Name
Robert Zohn
^ Dave, you can order a disc from Toshiba or download it directly to your A2. I moved my A2 to my office where my PC monitor is also a HDTV and did the direct download.

-Robert

BrettGallman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett

I think some people have had problems playing some Weinstein discs. I only have Clerks II and haven't tried watching it yet. With some people being able to play it, though, it might be a disc thing. Didn't the HD-DVD chat pretty much confirm that they were going to do something to fix it though? I figured he was talking about a firmware upgrade.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Robert,

Could you please ask Toshiba to make firmware updates available to download to our PCs so we could burn them to CD or DVD+R, etc.? My player is not in the same room as my computer network and it's quite an inconvenience for me to unhook my HD-A2 from my equipment rack, unplug cables, etc.

Sony allows you to download PS3 firmware updates to your PC or USB. This works very nicely and is very convenient.

Thanks.

JustinCleveland

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Justin Cleveland
I just got an A2 today, but do not have the internet at home to connect, we have a free wireless service. Any way I could download this and burn it to a CD as Dave mentioned?

Robert_Zohn

Value Electronics
Premium
Insider
Real Name
Robert Zohn
I have asked Toshiba to make the upgrades available for download from their site and to date they have not done so.

I moved my A2 to my office where I have a PC that's also a HDTV monitor so the upgrade was easy from my home office.

-Robert

Mark Bendiksen

Screenwriter
Since Toshiba does not offer the firmware upgrades for download on their website, is there anywhere else on the Internet they can be found?

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I remember one site used to for the HD-A1 - names slips me. Maybe someone else knows.

Adam Barratt

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
The HD-D1/HD-A1/HD-XA1 firmware 2.0 upgrade can be found here. When I can get my hands on the A2 upgrade I will host that as well.

Adam

Mark Bendiksen

Screenwriter
Wow...thanks Adam; that would be great! I'm still trying to upgrade mine via the direct hookup to the Internet but have had no luck making a successful connection thus far.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks