What's new

HD-A2 upgrade is now available for download. Now version 2.5! (1 Viewer)

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
Firmware version 1.5 up for download now. Not sure what it fixes, the official upgrade list FAQ still shows the same issues as version 1.2

Paul_Dunlop

Second Unit
Downloaded it last night

Only ran 1 disc afterwards - HD DVD NIN in concert - no problems

Will be trying some SD DVD tonight

Rhoq

Supporting Actor
1.5?

I got my brand-new, replacement HD-A2 direct from Toshiba last week. It was running v1.2 which I updated to 1.3

What happened to 1.4?

Martin Teller

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin Teller
Anyone get a 1.5 disc in the mail yet? I signed up for updates, I'm wondering if I have to specifically request this one.

I discovered an annoying bug in the A2 last night. If you switch audio tracks right when a title is ending and going back to the menu, it freezes up the whole unit. I had to unplug it and plug it back in.

Brian Little

Stunt Coordinator
Has anyone tried "Children Of Men" on version 1.5 yet? I did a Google search which turned up a few mentions of it working perfectly okay on 1.5. My copy from Netflix should be in my hands this afternoon. :D

Rhoq

Supporting Actor
I received three 1.5 update discs in the mail this week (2 on Monday and 1 yesterday). Also, posters over the AVS Forum are reporting that v1.6 is now available for download.

Arnie G

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Arnie Douglas
I just got a new A2. How can you tell the current version installed?

Rhoq

Supporting Actor

In your Set-Up menu, select Maintenance and choose the "Update" option. Here it will show you the current version number that your machine is running and also give you the option to update to a new version via the internet (or cancel and return to Set-Up Menu).

Also for everyone, I was able to update to v1.6 last night. If you haven't already done so, let me be the first to tell you that the start-up time of the A2 is noticeably faster after this update (it used to take at least 45 seconds from powering on to get to the HD DVD logo, now it's about 30 seconds). I haven't tested anything on it, but from what others have said, it corrects most compatibility issues with the Universal Combo discs.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
From Toshibas support site:

Frequently Asked Questions:

Q1.
What does this update do?

A1. This update addresses some problems Toshiba has identified with HDMI/DVI connectivity and disc playback.

Q2. When I connect my HD DVD Player to my HDTV or HD Monitor using a HDMI to DVI adaptor cable or a HDMI to DVI adaptor, the output resolution of the player remains fixed at 480i. Does the new firmware address this issue?

A2. This firmware update addresses the issue. Should you continue to experience problems, please contact Toshiba Customer Solutions at (800) 319-6684.

Q3. The HDMI output does not work or works intermittently with the HDMI or DVI input on my HDTV or monitor. Does the new firmware address that problem?

A3. The firmware update addresses and improves HDMI and DVI connectivity. If you still experience problems, try disconnecting and reconnecting the HDMI cable. Make sure your display input is set to HDMI (or DVI). If your display has more than one HDMI/DVI input, make sure that all connected HDMI/DVI source devices are powered on (even if not in use). If none of these solve the problem, please turn off the TV and the HD DVD player. Check all connections. Disconnect and reconnect the HDMI cable. Turn on the TV first and then turn on the HD DVD player. Should you continue to experience problems, please contact Toshiba Customer Solutions at (800) 319-6684.

Q4. During HD DVD playback I sometimes experience pixelization, block noise or audio dropouts. Sometimes playback freezes or stops. Sometimes, playback is not smooth. Does the new firmware address these issues?

A4. This firmware update addresses various playability issues. You should also check to be sure that the disc is clean and, if the disc will not operate at all, that you are inserting the disc with the right side up. Should you continue to experience problems, please contact Toshiba Customer Solutions at (800) 319-6684.

Hope this helps.

Cees

Arnie G

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Arnie Douglas
Don't know if it's been posted but you can download 1.6 at the Toshiba Canada site:)

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
I've been hearing reports that firmware version 2.0 is now available for the G2 players. Seems to mostly include web content updates for discs that access the web for extra features.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Yes, Jeff. On the Toshiba site, version 2.0 is up. Applicable Models (according to the site): HD-XA2, HD-A20, HD-A2, HD-A2W, and HD-D2.

Here's the "FAQ":

Frequently Asked Questions:

Q1. What does this update do?

A1. This firmware update improves network connectivity for supporting the download of web-enabled network content associated with certain HD DVD discs, and also addresses certain disc playback and HDMI/DVI related issues identified by Toshiba.

Q2. Why do I need to turn on DHCP and DNS?

A2. Turning on DHCP causes the player to automatically detect its IP address and other network information from your internet service provider’s DHCP server. Turning on DNS causes the player to automatically detect the DNS server address associated with your internet service provider.

Q3. I purchased an HD DVD disc that contains/has the capability of downloading web-enabled network content. What do I need to do to view this content?

A3. First, be sure that you have properly configured the player’s Ethernet port. If your Ethernet port is properly configured, perform the firmware update process to update the player’s firmware to the latest firmware version. Once you have updated the player with the latest firmware, follow the directions that came with the HD DVD disc or that appear in the menu of the HD DVD disc. Should you experience problems viewing such content, please contact Toshiba Customer Solutions at (800) 319-6684.

Q4. When I connect my HD DVD Player to my HDTV or HD Monitor using a HDMI to DVI adaptor cable or a HDMI to DVI adaptor, the output resolution of the player remains fixed at 480i. Does the new firmware address this issue?

A4. This firmware update addresses the issue. Should you continue to experience problems, please contact Toshiba Customer Solutions at (800) 319-6684.

Q5. The HDMI output does not work or works intermittently with the HDMI or DVI input on my HDTV or monitor. Does the new firmware address that issue?

A5. The firmware update addresses and improves HDMI and DVI connectivity issues. If you still experience such issues, try disconnecting and reconnecting the HDMI cable. Make sure your display input is set to HDMI (or DVI). If your display has more than one HDMI/DVI input, make sure that all connected HDMI/DVI source devices are powered on (even if not in use). If none of these solve the issue, please turn off the TV and the HD DVD player. Check all connections. Disconnect and reconnect the HDMI cable. Turn on the TV first and then turn on the HD DVD player. Should you continue to experience issues, please contact Toshiba Customer Solutions at (800) 319-6684.

Q6. During HD DVD playback I sometimes experience pixelization, block noise or audio dropouts. Sometimes playback freezes or stops. Sometimes, playback is not smooth. Does the new firmware address these issues?

A6. This firmware update addresses various playability issues. You should also check to be sure that the disc is clean and, if the disc will not operate at all, that you are inserting the disc with the right side up. In the event that playback freezes or stops, press and hold the ON/STANDBY button on the front of the player for approximately ten seconds. This will cause the player to turn off. After the player turns off, turn the player back on by pressing the ON/STANDBY button, and then press the OPEN/CLOSE button to remove the disc. Should you continue to experience issues, please contact Toshiba Customer Solutions at (800) 319- 6684. Should you continue to experience issues, please contact Toshiba Customer Solutions at (800) 319-6684.

Q7. Do I need to install prior firmware updates before installing the current firmware update?

A7. No. The current firmware update includes all of the prior firmware updates.

Cees

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks