What's new

Hawaii Five-O - Any Interest Out There? (1 Viewer)

Jeff#

Screenwriter
We all agree that 1970s fashions really got awful after Five-0 got to around 1972 and for several years after that. But if that was a valid reason to not continue watching this show, then other series such as The Rockford Files and All in the Family wouldn't have become so enormously successful best-sellers on DVD. :)

Keep watching Hawaii Five-O, because the filmmaking process and music (particularly the theme) all improve over the years. The writing doesn't even start to noteably slip until after Chin Ho is killed at the end of the 10th season, and the show doesn't fall apart until Danno quits (without explanation) after the 11th.

BobSchneider

Second Unit

LOL
htf_images_smilies_dance.gif
thanks , there are some great lines in the different seasons of five 0, I've alway love that one. Or in the second season seen the baby face martin sheen was cool hoot too!:)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I'm still working my way through the First Season, saw Six Kilos, (before I see The Box, thanks Mike for the heads-up)

Speaking of fashions, I always wondered why Jack Lord always wore long sleeve shirts or a turtleneck or scarf when he's casually dressed. Was it a concern for sun exposure?

And then I wondered if Mrs. Freeman or Mrs. Lord ever appear ala Hitchcock in any episodes?

Corey3rd

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe Corey
with all the releases Paramount is pumping out in November in time for the Christmas rush, strange they didn't have season 3 of hawaii 5-0. Especially since they'll have season 3 of Mission Impossible.

BobSchneider

Second Unit
"Steve looked kind of odd wearing all navy blue clothes in the 11th season"

LoL it saved on the clothing/set continuity errors. There not as amazing or numerous as the first season of 24. But there a episodes of the first season were steve begins the day in a tan suit and half way though the day is in his medium blue suit:P or steve fights a bad guy in the surf (ie wet suit and hair) and by the end of the sence he's got dry hair and clothes. I Spy had some monster gaffs too but I forgive both shows because of their extensive location shoot, lower shooting budgets and shows in the 60's rarely had production assiatances that would track continuity errors, unless its Fox tv LOL:laugh: :P :P ;)

Jeff#

Screenwriter
Well, I wasn't referring to continuity errors at all but now that you mentioned it...
Don't you know that in Hawaii they have little humidity most of the year?
That's how Steve's clothes dried a might quick, Brudda! :laugh:

Peter_Franks

Auditioning
Real Name
Steve
Ratings wise, 5-0 peaked with season 5 and for me, this is the best overall season. Again, IMO, the show pretty much died with the death of Leonard Freeman which I think was halfway through season 5 or at the start of season 6. Anything after this period, pretty much looked tired - I've loads of episodes from seasons 7, 8 & 9 on tape and in the vast majority both Lord and McArthur look, well, bored...! Of course there were exceptions, but overall, production values and standards of acting had decreased at an alarming rate.

Corey3rd

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe Corey
I don't think they cared too much for details - else how can they explain the "repeat offenders" casting. In season 2 Loretta Swit gets killed in the first episode and then rises from the dead toward the end of the season.

Jeff#

Screenwriter
What's to explain? She played 2 completely different characters. In the season premiere it was a minor part: A woman comes out of a bar and gets run over. In the 2-part "Three Dead Cows at Makapuu" she has a leading guest role as a phone operator who makes the mistake of falling for Ed Flanders.

alphanguy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David
I'm going to wait until the region 2 set comes out. If by chance... "Bored, She Hung Herself" is on there. As we all know, legalities between regions 1 and 2 can vary, just look at the Bionic series. If it IS a legal reason that the episode is not included here... then that would most likely not be binding in region 2. And Europe/UK aren't these sniveling politically correct types either, like the studios over here. Look how titles like "Song Of The South" get a release over there. So R2 just may have it, you never know!

Jeff#

Screenwriter
As far as the early years go, I'm looking even more forward to the fourth season. In addition to the improved opening theme music, it reached a pinnacle of excellence with the 2-part "The Ninety-Second War", in which Wo Fat arranges to have McGarrett get into a road accident. The gimmick was that everyone's favorite enemy agent had created a double of McGarrett!

It was memorable in the opening scene for having Steve's car overturn, as Danno looks through the broken window to tell Steve that everything will OK and HFD will get him out of there! :)

It was from that accident scene in which two shots were later recycled into the opening theme montage: Danno looking into the car window was added in Season 5. The HFD man using a blow torch on the same car replaced Al Harrington for the 8th season...even though Herman Wedemeyer (as Duke) was already a regular for a few years, but still not yet featured in the opening credits until the start of the 9th season.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member

Song of the South never got a DVD release, though, did it? I thought the only release it has was on VHS, and that's been out-of-print for a few years now. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think there's ever been an official UK R2 release of this film on DVD, and as I said, the VHS tape is OOP and only available second-hand.

Peter_Franks

Auditioning
Real Name
Steve
I know its been mentioned that this release is using the title sequence from season 1, but I've just watched the episode "Kiss The Queen Goodbye" and noticed that they're also using the theme tune from season 1 as well! Question is, why?! Also with this episode, the end credits are from season 2, but again, they've dubbed over this with the season 1 arrangement of the theme tune, strange....!

alphanguy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David

No.... sorry, I was referring to the VHS release when I mentioned Song Of The South. What I meant was, that if the release of "bored" was scuttered by some politically correct society babysitter type that was afraid someone would "Try it at home", then the UK usually doesn't prescribe to that kind of nonsense. I still hold out hope, after all, Space:1999 was taken from very different source materials, 5-0 can as well. and Paramount in the UK may very well insist on the US handing over the eppy, if the original elements exist. If I were head of things with Paramount UK, I'd be telling them to FORK IT OVER.

Corey3rd

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe Corey

The UK is notorious for its ratings board and practices. They got Kubrick to pull Clockwork Orange for fear of copycats.

alphanguy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David
Oh well... I guess we'll find out. If it's on there, I'll buy the region 2... if not, I'll just get the region 1. I'm also looking forward to season 5... "Engaged To Be Buried" is one of my faves... Kam Fong's performance in that is just RIVETING. And soemthing I noticed... when Erik Estrada's Character is shot, and lying on the pavement.... did my eyes deceive me, or did Irene Tsu run over to him and kneel down and put her hand right on his crotch? It happened so fast, and I didn't have it on tape... but I could have sworn that girl copped a feel in that scene!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gigaspin88
Recent bookmarks