What's new

If you could live anywhere in TV on DVD Land... (1 Viewer)

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
where would it be?

I thought this might be an interesting topic that I don't remember seeing before. Name off some of the fictional homes, neighborhoods, towns, cities or other dwelling places (boats, spaceships, or whatever else) in TVLand that you'd most like to live if you were able. It might be the fictional people that attract you to that place. Or perhaps it's just the beauty or atmosphere of the location itself that is appealing to you. Whatever the reason, tell us where you'd actually like to live if you could. Not just visit (as there are probably too many places like that to name), but take up residence for the foreseeable future. To start, I'll name a few.

Mayberry, N.C. - TAGS. This just seems like such a great little community that I can't imagine not being able to go get a haircut at Floyd's, or stop in at the Blue Bird Diner for a meal, or just be able to hang out with the friendly folks there. Definitely one of my ideal fictional worlds.

Mayfield - LITB, Springfield - FKB, Hillsdale - Ozzie & Harriet, or any of the other similar towns from that era would be attractive to me. I liked the feeling of community and stability that these shows often conveyed. I'm not sure I'd want to live in any of the large cities (no offense to those that would or do), although the thought of catching the glimpse of a superhero in Gotham or Metropolis would be neat. I'm more apt to prefer the smaller town setting, even though I lived the majority of my life in a huge city. No, I think I'd be more apt to choose some place like Sparta - In the Heat of the Night, but then again the murder rate seemed high for such a small city, so maybe not that particular town. ;)

I'm trying to think if I'd like to live in Dodge City - Gunsmoke, or any of the other old west towns. Not really sure that would be my thing. Wouldn't mind a cattle drive with Gil, Rowdy and the rest - Rawhide. But it seems like it'd be anything but a picnic, so probably not for a prolonged period of time.

In my younger days I'd have loved to live on the Seaview - VTTBOTS. Not sure if anything from space would have really been appealing as a permanent dwelling place. The Jupiter Two or any of the Enterprises may have been neat to visit, but I don't think I'd really want to live in them. Even as seemingly endless as the T.A.R.D.I.S. is, I can't say I'd want to live in it on a regular basis. Of course we know these are all vehicles, so perhaps none of them really come into play with my question.

How about Bedrock - Flintstones or Orbit City - Jetsons? Bedrock seemed neat, but it could go from a small town to a larger city depending on the plot.

Parts of Honolulu and the surrounding area certainly looked good back in the late 60's with Hawaii-Five 0. Doubt I'd turn that down if I could live there in that era. Not sure it'd be the same today.

I'm probably missing a bunch, but that's a start.

Gary "oh, and I'd be remiss if I didn't mention 1960's Cocoa Beach - I Dream of Jeannie" O. :)

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
I wouldn't mind living on several of the planets encountered in TOS (Omicron Ceti III and the 'Shore Leave' planet come immediately to mind). I think it would be fun to live in Mayberry, N.C. and North Fork, New Mexico Territory (from The Rifleman).

Guy Foulard

Second Unit
Real Name
Jason
I can think of a bunch, probably:
Elliot Carson's nautically-themed house in Peyton Place where Dr. Michael Rossi usually resides.
17 Paseo Verde (Mannix) looks appealing--I like the idea of living upstairs from my office.
Collinwood Mansion (from Dark Shadows), but not the old house where Barnabas lives.
Mary Richards' first apartment, but it's too small for me, my wife, and our cat (plus my DVDs)!
My wife covets Jim Rockford's trailer, but I am wary of it, because mob heavies are always showing up there...

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
Nice idea, if the characters could be around it'd be real fun. Wouldn't mind living in the San Francisco Hotel Carlton where Paladin resided, have him around whenever there's trouble. Work at the Cincinnati radio station W.K.R.P. would be pretty cool too, move in with Who's the Boss' Angela Bower at her connecticut home or listen to Bob Newhart's sarcastic jokes all day at the Stratford Inn in Vermont.

Guy Foulard

Second Unit
Real Name
Jason
More:
The Barkley house from Big Valley has the edge on the Ponderosa from Bonanza -- I have a feeling it has more modern conveniences.

Some nice mid-century apartments:
Joe Gannon's bachelor pad from Medical Center, but not Dr. Kildare's intern housing.
Definitely Jim Phelps' black and white apartment from Mission: Impossible! Very cool.
Bob and Emily Hartley's Chicago apartment from the Bob Newhart Show.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Great topic! Not big on small towns, but I'd love to live in the Manhattan of That Girl, all gleaming skyscrapers and big apartments even for unemployed actresses.

I'd love to live at 1164 Morning Glory Circle in Westport, CT (Bewitched) because I love that house and it's close to the Big Apple of the 60's. Ditto 148 Bonnie Meadow Rd., New Rochelle, NY (The Dick Van Dyke Show).

I'd also love to live at Collinwood in Collinsport, ME (Dark Shadows) even though the life expectancy could be questionable.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Yes. Having the characters around would really add to it.

Gary "no doubt that's a huge part of the appeal in many of our choices" O.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
If I was going to permanently be stuck there (not just visit), my choice would be Mayfield with Mayberry as a runner up.

A visit to Twin Peaks, Washington of Twin Peaks or the world of The Twilight Zone would be interesting but there's usually some crazy stuff going on there. And the island on Lost and the Los Angeles of 24 would both be exciting but likely deadly.

Great idea for a topic!

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Ockeghem said:
North Fork, New Mexico Territory (from The Rifleman).
I'd like North Fork too.

But I might be worried that a building would collapse on me if a gentle breeze came through town. :lol: Inside joke for friends Jeff and Glen.

Gary "in all seriousness, I like your picks Scott" O. :thumbsup:

Dan McW

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dan
Five-O's Honolulu would have been a nice place to live, but the city seemed to be rife with crime!

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I'd choose the bar from Cheers, they seem to serve everyone and nobody pays for the drinks, i also get to shout Norm at regular intervals, what's not to like.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Dan McW said:
Five-O's Honolulu would have been a nice place to live, but the city seemed to be rife with crime!
You're right about that. And speaking of Hawaii, while I'd live in the Hawaii Five-0 version, I'd take a pass on the Hawaiian Eye one. I'd be afraid that if I tried to take a dive into the ocean I'd hit my head on a brick wall behind the screen. :lol:

Gary "of course, I'd have Connie Stevens to put cold compresses on my head so maybe it'd be okay" O.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
New York as depicted in I Love Lucy: relatively safe, inexpensive, lots of apartments available, plenty of great Broadway shows with tickets well under $100, and the chance that you may go to the Tropicana on a night Lucy decides to break into the act.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Gary OS said:
I'd like North Fork too.

But I might be worried that a building would collapse on me if a gentle breeze came through town. :lol: Inside joke for friends Jeff and Glen.

Gary "in all seriousness, I like your picks Scott" O. :thumbsup:
Gary,Thanks. I would be sure to hang with Lucas most of the time, since I would probably be more safe that way. Of course, I would also be shot at more often! ;)

I did think of Collinwood, but as one poster pointed out, the life expectancy might be short. But I do love both The Great House and The Old House.

Joshua Clinard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joshua Clinard
I'd have to say Mayberry as well, and I'm from NC, so it'd feel like home. It also might be interesting to live in Storybrook, or the Island from Lost. If I had to choose a house, I'd choose the Camden Residence.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
The mortality rate was much too high on Wisteria Lane...remember the dozens of ghosts in the final episode? I'd rather live in the Fioli Estate from Dynasty.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks