What's new

Hawaii 5-0 - season 2 thread (2 Viewers)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Matt, I thought the shot of McGarrett going towards the plane looked like it was from the episode he was going to take off on his own to help Jenna. He had his gun on the side holster and everything. So you made a good catch, that likely was stock footage.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
The episode "The Reckoning" was a solid episode. Not too much of a surprise, which Five-0 member resigned, but hoping they return for a future episode. The story started off very well and for the majority of the hour it was written well and kept your interest.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
The episode "Defender" wasn't great (merely good), but was still entertaining enough. Now that the run of average episodes have been shown, much looking forward to the James Caan and Ed Asner episodes, the coroner-centred episode and the NCIS: Los Angeles crossover beyond those.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Referring to post #89 in this thread, is there a promo up on the web yet for Monday's first part of the crossover with NCIS: Los Angeles?

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
The episode "Radio" was a return to form with a case for the team which kept your interest virtually all the way through. It petered out a bit in the fourth act, but still ended satisfactorily. Loved the dialogue in the scene when McGarrett and Danno first go to the yacht and speak to the private investigator (James Caan). Another highlight was the scene with Jimmy Borges (frequent guest star on the original series).

Looking forward to the Ed Asner episode.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
The episode from the original series, "Wooden Model of a Rat" (which gets a sort of sequel episode with Five-0's "Faith"), had a fairly good story, involving a frame of a member of Five-O, something which had been done many times before on the series. It was still entertaining though, with Ed Asner at times having facial expressions like a moustache-twirling villain. He played a formidable opponent to McGarrett. The ending had been done before, but it set things up nicely for the revival series' episode "Faith".

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
The episode "Faith" was very good indeed, with a wicked ending. Kind of got lost where the story was going three-parts through, but it ended very well. It was a delight to see Ed Asner back as August March. The flashbacks were incorporated into the modern day case well (a particular highlight was the part at the very end). Hopefully he will be back in a future episode.

I'd like to see Bryce Halsey (referring to the original series' fifth season episode "Death is a Company Policy") return for a third season of Five-0.

The coroner episode "Abandoned" next.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Nelson,
I finally got to see the most recent Wo Fat episode last night. It wasn't too bad. The highlight of the episode for me was seeing McGarrett back in action again. I was kind of hoping to find out a bit more about Shelburne, though.
I've yet to see the episode and crossover to NCIS, but I have those two episodes DVR'd and am looking forward to them. Have you seen those episodes yet?

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Scott, I have not watched that Wo Fat episode or the cross over with NCIS yet, they are in my DVR. So I'll probably wait till after the finale tonight and watch all 4 together.
Someone in the 5-0 family is supposed to die tonight! That's a surprise they are promoting. I'm guessing who it could be....
Let's see, perhaps Kono since Kono in the original series left first. Perhaps Max Burgman? Perhaps Che Fong since he's not a regular?
Maybe Lori returns ona case and is killed? They already killed one Govenor, I doubt they kill the current one. Kamekona? I doubt it's him, he's good for comic relief.
So maybe Chin Ho's new wife or perhaps it's Joe White because he knows the secret to McGarrett's past. And I forgot to add McGarrett's sister.
I really doubt it's the four main leads.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Originally Posted by Nelson Au /t/314916/hawaii-5-0-season-2-thread/90#post_3925735
Scott, I have not watched that Wo Fat episode or the cross over with NCIS yet, they are in my DVR. So I'll probably wait till after the finale tonight and watch all 4 together.
Someone in the 5-0 family is supposed to die tonight! That's a surprise they are promoting. I'm guessing who it could be....
Let's see, perhaps Kono since Kono in the original series left first. Perhaps Max Burgman? Perhaps Che Fong since he's not a regular?
Maybe Lori returns ona case and is killed? They already killed one Govenor, I doubt they kill the current one. Kamekona? I doubt it's him, he's good for comic relief.
So maybe Chin Ho's new wife or perhaps it's Joe White because he knows the secret to McGarrett's past.

Yes, it's either Joe White (my best guess since Terry has a new series) or Chin Ho's wife (since girl friends and wives on shows like this often distract from the action).

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Nelson Au said:
So maybe Chin Ho's new wife or perhaps it's Joe White because he knows the secret to McGarrett's past.
Nelson,
I think it will be a semi-regular, or maybe even someone not even seen that frequently (e.g., Chin Ho's wife). I suppose it could be Kamekona. Have you heard whether Lori Weston is returning for the finale?

Dheiner

Gazoo
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Dhein
Well,

The ads running recently show one of them with a bullet hole. I can't figure out if that means it's them, or that it can't be them.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
Dheiner said:
Well, 
The ads running recently show one of them with a bullet hole.  I can't figure out if that means it's them, or that it can't be them.
From the preview I had thought it was going to be Max. I hadn't even suspected Fryer until he appeared. Of course, we have two of them in near death situations now that will be resolved in the new season. I couldn't tell just how bad Chin Ho's wife really was - so that was a good guess.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
The episode "Abandoned", which centred around Max the coroner, continued the return to form seen in the previous episode. Some striking location photography with the pineapple field and church. Guessed who the culprit was when Danno and Chin Ho went to the church during the investigation of the murder. The episode ended satisfactorily (Max's connection to the murder and the prisoner wasn't original but credible). The scenes with Danno, Chin Ho and Kono (and the scenes with Max) felt stretched out (but not in a bad way), with them getting more screentime with McGarrett absent, but they were refreshing.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
The first part of the crossover with NCIS: Los Angeles started off quite well with an intriguing mystery. The episode ended how I thought it would. Some of the humour could have been done better though. It was worth the wait to see Sam and Callen join forces with Danno and Chin Ho, although I just can't take LL Cool J seriously in his role (interesting that he and McGarrett were in the Navy Seals together). The car chase at the site of the warehouse and the discovery of the lab was done well (although the music during the car chase could have been better chosen). The villain who Callen confronted at the market, did he appear on NCIS: Los Angeles before this crossover?

So, all in all a very good episode, and McGarrett''s absence has been set up well for the next episode "Caught", which on paper sounds exciting.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
MattH. said:
, but I have those two episodes DVR'd and am looking forward to them. Have you seen those episodes yet?

The episode "Caught" was very good, an entertaining hour. Good to see Alex O'Loughlin back, and looking more fuller in his face and less gaunt than in the 3-4 episodes up to and including "Faith". It was mostly a showcase for him, and yet surprisingly Scott Caan and Daniel Dae Kim had plenty of screen time (considering they had filmed scenes on location in Los Angeles and at the studios in California where NCIS: Los Angeles is also shot).

The one thing in the episode which at first appeared to be unresolved, was the apparent murder scene in the bathroom of Wo Fat's hotel room in Japan. But the victim was the father who Joe White 'kidnapped' earlier in the season.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
A fast paced season finale with something to keep you waiting for next season with each of the regulars. It was an enjoyable, entertaining season finale if you didn't think too much about parts of the episode, which had two or three gaping plot holes. The show is entertaining, but even some of the things which happened in this hour were stretching logic. Alex O'Loughlin carried on with his return to looking healthier than he had a few episodes earlier. It was a shame though that a character who I had hoped would return for next season won't be now.

Will be very interesting to see who will be playing 'Shellburne' next season. I'd like to see a feature length episode, along with another special night episode (like "Tidal Wave" in the first season, on a Sunday night), and a crossover with the original NCIS (if they do decide to do a second crossover with NCIS: Los Angeles, then fingers crossed Alex O'Loughlin will be able to do it, and the writing is better, especially on the NCIS: Los Angeles part of the crossover. But ideally, a crossover with the original NCIS series).

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I wasn't able to see the final 3 episodes last season and then the computers I recorded them on died. I guess I'll catch up with the Wo Fat capture episode on CBS.com. But I did see the finale last night.
They sure did a good job of casting doubt as to who was going to be killed. Seeing Max get shot was a surprise, even though i could see something coming with him. The foreshadowing was on thick as i was still sure Chin's new wife could be one victim and she sure ended up being one. How Kono was going to be possibly killed was all over the place, at the police department, or getting that crazy lady shooter but then the return of Billy Baldwin's character was unexpected. And to see Chin release him.
At one point, I thought Danny's daughter was going to be kidnapped! I'm not sure I like the idea that they've turned Danny's ex into an antagonist, sort of. It would have been nice if they continued their romance from S1 and got back together. But I guess they wanted to keep that conflict going. Now with this business of moving Danny's daughter away seems the weakest of the cliffhangers.
I'm betting Kono survives because of her surfing experiences and ability to swim even bound like she is. Chin's wife could survive too.. It seems the only real person to really die as the promos kept teasing was Chief Fryer. That was so obvious he was going to be in some trouble.
Since I was watching it as a repeat, CBS had to tease the new season and give away McGarrett's surprise. So Shellborne is his mother? I'm not sure what to make of that. The final shot of the finale was sort of a let down. Though it will be interesting to see how it plays out and whether Wo Fat is part of it.

Wiseguy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Erich P. Wise
Hugh Jackes said:
The actor who played Kono in the original series got fired after a couple of seasons for making racist (anti-Haoli) comments and was replaced by "Duke".
He (Zulu) was fired after four seasons (1968-72) and was replaced by Ben Kokua (1972-75) played by Al Harrington who was fired 2-1/2 years later. "Duke" had already been seen occasionally before Kono left.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks