What's new

Having LAN party. Need Halo mode/map ideas please (1 Viewer)

Keith Frederick

Stunt Coordinator
Having a LAN party next week. Haven't played a lot of Halo, and was looking for specific maps/modes/settings that you all find the most fun. Would appreciate it. Thanks.

Think we'll have 8+ people.

Chris Flynn

Second Unit
My friends and I play "Rockets". A LOT. Especially on Hang 'Em High. Or Wizard.

The complete chaos that ensues on those maps is great!

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
Man LAN parties are just getting more & more popular. I've brought my rig to two LAN parties this month alone (first time I did it too). Just like console games I prefer to be in the same room with the players rather than playing over the net. Mainly because someone starts to get hungry enough and orders pizzas. :)

Jared_B

Supporting Actor
Rockets on Hang 'em High or Prisoner make for really fast and fun games. Beginners do well with rockets because aiming is a bit less critical (being quick IS critical, however!).

My friends and I are all a bit more advanced, and we have been playing Snipers more often lately. Being able to aim quickly and accurately is very important to your survival. Good maps for Snipers are Blood Gulch, Sidewinder and Hang 'em High.

If you're playing with people you haven't played with before, it's a good idea to play a few free-for-all games to see where each person's skill level is. Use this information when you form teams. You don't want all the really good people on the same team - it's no fun for anybody. If you have a wide range of skill levels, try playing more team games. This gives the newbies a chance to actually win a few games, as opposed to always coming up last in free-for-all.

Also, 8 people is a good number for capture the flag. There's definitely some strategy involved.

Keith Frederick

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the suggestions. I appreciate it. Having played Halo this past weekend as well, I am getting more excited for Halo 2 now. What a great game this is.

Jeffrey Johnson

Stunt Coordinator
Team Oddball (we call it Team Skully) is great, too. It's a pretty good one to get new players acclimated to the game

JayV

Supporting Actor
Also, you might want to take the time now to set up custom game types (e.g., I have a Team Slayer set-up with radar turned off because none of us like it).

-j

Ben_Hud

Stunt Coordinator
my friends and i once played a 3 hour long game of CTF Pro /bloodgulch/warthog and it was really really fun. i prefer radar on CTF, but it gets frustrating when trying to sneak in and steal a flag so ya might wanna turn it off

if you have a squad of good players (4 friends) its fun to see how many people you can take on in slayer or CTF, my friends (3 of us)and I took on 8 guys, lets just say it wasn't pretty...they got smoked

bloodgulch/CTF is the way to go if you have atleast 8 people if less, then do (no radar)team slayer or crazy king on hangem high.

key to a good lan party is starting around 10 and playing until 3am to get a good 5 hours of play time in

if you want a game that will get on peoples nerves, set everbody invisable and do rockets

Keith Frederick

Stunt Coordinator
This is great. Keep em coming! The party is this weekend. If you can get there, you can come. I live in Rockland, MA. Already posted a thread asking people if they were interested. Will send you an evite if you're a candidate.

I currently have my condo networked with three TVs. Intend to bring more TVs should the numbers require that. As things stand, we should have between 8-12 people.

JustinT

Stunt Coordinator
Capture the Flag on Blood Gulch:
-Turn off the radar and all indicators but the friend indicator. We like to play with Warthogs only, and we step up the respawn time to between 10 and 15 seconds. Otherwise your opponents spawn immediately after you kill them and it is difficult to leave the base. This is by far my favorite multi/lan game.

As others have mentioned, Rockets on either Prisoner or Hang em High are also great multiplayer maps.

Try playing no shields and 50% health with shotguns on Rat Race. This is pretty fun since one shotgun blast will kill you.

Team Crazy King of the Hill on either Blood Gulch or Hang em High.

Snipers or Team Snipers on Blood Gulch is also fun.

Dave.A.C

Agent
Rockets, Blood Gulch, Warthogs, no radar, no indicators.

The crazy stuff you'll see out of the flying Warthogs makes this setup insane fun. Although, with too many people you don't get a chance to really get the Warthogs moving. I would say this is the best with 4 players.

Thom B

Stunt Coordinator
Crazy King on most any level is pretty popular with the crew I play with. Hang 'em High is the most requested map. Unlimited grenades and pistols the most requested wepon selection. Whenever you start be ready to put in a good five hours at least. Mucho funo.

T

Ben_Hud

Stunt Coordinator
with 12 people you could play some sidewinder with all vehicles, human weapons.

but then you have the problem of spliting the teams on the 3rd tv so there are 2 members of each team on it, anyway to get a friend to bring a 4th tv and xbox. spliting teams on a tv sometimes can sometimes be a problem because out of the group there is always 1 or 2 screenlookers who always do it but swear they don't.

i didn't think it would be fun at first but last week i played with a new group, and they played that lvl with 2 exposed sides with 5 layers each and warps on each lvl... team slayer with rockets and sniper rifles are fun.. or king of the hill, it can be pretty fun to try to take one of the sniper corners on lvl 5 with the whole team rushing each other over and over again. a key skill is being able to throw a grenade from a lower lvl across the opening between the 2 sides into the sniper corner eheh the snipers never see it coming, it will get them every time, but don't tell your friends.

if you want some fast fighting, do free for all slayer or team slayer on any of the smaller maps that recommend only a couple players or go to a smaller map with teams and make the rule "you can only club people" no actually shooting guns.

how long does it take to drive to MA from GA? sounds like its gonna be a good lan party:D

Thom B

Stunt Coordinator
An amusing xbox lan party story- Buddy of mine got married last summer. For the bachelor party we rented a second big screen set and got to fraggin'. (ffwd 2 hrs) The host walks into the room, "hey guys, the strippers are here...guys...?" "Hang on, we only need two more captures to win." :D

Keith Frederick

Stunt Coordinator
That is funny. Actually, for my bachelor party, the first thing we did was play Halo...which now that I think of it, was kind of random (very few people there had even heard of Halo before at the time). Then we played paint ball (awesome BTW - but painful). The strippers were later. I'm glad they didn't see my XBOX - probably would have, uh, done something to it.

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
There is no way to keep infinite nades with more than 4 players is there?

>>>if you have a squad of good players (4 friends) its fun to see how many people you can take on in slayer or CTF, my friends (3 of us)and I took on 8 guys, lets just say it wasn't pretty...they got smoked

Jared_B

Supporting Actor
Having more even teams makes a big difference as well. From my experience, the team with fewer people will almost always do better in any type of slayer game. In a 6 vs 4 situation, the team with only 4 players has more targets. The team with more people will struggle to find people to kill. I played on a team of 2, against 5, and my team kicked ass. We always had targets, and were constantly getting double and triple kills. They, at most, would get one double kill, then spend a few minutes trying to find us again.

Joe RZ

Stunt Coordinator
Also try racing with the warthogs om Blood Gulch and Sidewinder.After all of these months of playing this game
we just now tried it.It's hella fun.
You still have all weapons and if you are in last place you can make it miserable for everybody else. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gigaspin88
Recent bookmarks