What's new

Has Paramount quit releasing classic films to SD DVD? (1 Viewer)

Paul Borges

Stunt Coordinator
Is Paramount losing money on their classic releases? Maybe they need to fire the marketing dep't or something. Or why not raise prices a bit ala Warner. Sitting on the titles ain't doing them any good.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
So if Paramount doesn't own the Republic theatrical catalog, who does? Didn't Paramount put up serious $$ restoring some of those titles? Something doesn't sound right here. I'm not questioning the original poster, I'm just trying to reconcile the info the Exec gave them with what has commonly thought to be the case. Among many other titles, weren't they working on releasing restored versions of High Noon and It's a Wonderful Life?
I guess this also means no Martin/Lewis collection at all?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Steve...O said:
So if Paramount doesn't own the Republic theatrical catalog, who does? Didn't Paramount put up serious $$ restoring some of those titles? Something doesn't sound right here. I'm not questioning the original poster, I'm just trying to reconcile the info the Exec gave them with what has commonly thought to be the case. Among many other titles, weren't they working on releasing restored versions of High Noon and It's a Wonderful Life?
It could be Lionsgate which acquired Artisan?
Crawdaddy

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Steve...O said:
I think I'm right in saying that Parmount's restoration of the Republic vault titles has little to do with them holding rights to release on a home entertainment medium. Paramount may hold, say, the best elements for something like The Quiet Man, but they haven't - apparently - got the rights for its release on DVD.
Here is the list of Republic films Paramount is preserving on modern film stock.

Peter Neski

Screenwriter
"I mentiooned that DAYS OF HEAVEN would be a great HD title. her response was that they had more important flms to release in HD like AEON FLUX."

This sounds like me making a joke about the Lame Sony List of Blue Ray

Titles

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
John Hodson said:
, but they haven't - apparently - got the rights for its release on DVD.
Here is the list of Republic films Paramount is preserving on modern film stock.
Thanks John. Whatever the situation I hope that the parties involved make the legal and financial arrangements necessary to allow these to be released. If Paramount and Lionsgate (?) can't come to terms about the manner in which these get released, some very good films will be remaining in the vaults and some previously released films that need an upgrade will only be represented in less than ideal form.
Steve

Greg_M

Screenwriter
It's been reported that there will be a Region 2 release of "Oh, What a Lovely War" on October 30th. Hopefully we'll get a Region 1 release as well.

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
Dr. Terror's House of Horrors (1965) and The Skull (1965) should be added to the list. Two more films that I'll probably never be able to see.
There are several R2 Special Edition's of Dr. Terror's House of Horrors.

As for the news here, I really couldn't care less what Paramount plans to do or not to do. The only thing I see here is that they don't want any of my money and that's fine because I can give it to someone else. There are certainly other ways to get these films so if Paramount wants me to give my money to these other options then that's fine with me.

Anthony Thorne

Supporting Actor
Also from Crawdaddy's list - DUST DEVIL is coming in a big 2-disc S.E from Subversive Cinema in Region 1 in just a couple of months, with a restored transfer, commentaries, extended cut, docos etc.

Dario Argento's FOUR FLIES ON GREY VELVET is the only film by this prolific horror director that has never been released on home video, in either VHS, LD or DVD format. I remember a fun comment from the 'Tell Martin Blythe which Paramount titles you want' thread / campaign from years ago where one nay sayer to FOUR FLIES mentioned that as he didn't see any discussion of the film at all in the HTF film forum, it must not be a fim with any interest - (gee, if NOBODY can see it, maybe that's why discussion on it is scarce?). There's been unofficial word from Blue Underground and other companies that severe rights issues are keeping it off the market, but it's anyone's guess whether Paramount could bypass that if they chose, or if they'd also have trouble bringing it out if they wanted to. I agree that Paramount's recent release output has been lacklustre for a long while.

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald
There might be some errors in the following list of Paramount unreleased titles, therefore, point them out and I'll delete them off. Also, let me know of any that are missing.
A few Paramount titles I know of that aren't on Crawdaddy's list:
THE ACCUSED (1948)
APPOINTMENT WITH DANGER (1951)
THE BLISS OF MRS. BLOSSOM (1968-British)
THE COLOSSUS OF NEW YORK (1958)
DARK CITY (1950)
FRAULEIN DOKTOR (1969)
PROJECT X (1968)
ONLY WHEN I LARF (1968-British)
THE POSSESSION OF JOEL DELANEY (1972)
SPACE CHILDREN (1958)
UNION STATION (1950)
UNMAN, WITTERING, ZIGO (1971-British)

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter
Ken Koc said:
I recently met A Paramount Home Video executive recently on a flight from LA to Chicago. I asked her what happened to the great catalog classic titles and she said that they are more interested in TV and films and special editions of classic films like "Grease" and "Heaven Can Wait". She said that they have only 11 catalogs titles for 2007.
I asked about the Republic titles and she said that Paramount found out that they did not have the rights to their film library: only the Republic TV library.
She said that Lions Gate would eventually release the theatrical titles from Republic.
Well, first off, many times studio execs are quite unaware of what they actually own. When I emailed MGM in the past about releasing WILD AT HEART and IMAGES on DVD, they kept insisting to me that they did not own the movies, and of course, I was right and they were wrong. So it's very possible that this person is mistaken.
What that Paramount exec could have meant was that they found out that perhaps Lionsgate's contract for Republic theatricals is still in effect while their TV contract is now expired, and as such for now Paramount is only free to exploit the TV titles like "TWIN PEAKS."
To the best of my knowledge, the former Republic never sold off equity home video rights to their theatrical library. They were an autonomous label that were serviced by Artisan, and later Lionsgate, and thusly created their own content for DVDs, such as the commentaries for BOUND and FREEWAY. Thusly, when they were bought by Paramount, all assets in all media (theatrical, TV syndication, video) should be accounted for.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I'm wondering what the heck happened to the Jerry Lewis and
Dean Martin collection.
That was pulled mere weeks before release.

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
Also I remember asking her about LOOKING FOR MR GOODBAR as th why that had been released. She did not know why and was going to "check into it".
Ultimately she did not feel there were enough customers for the "older films" as well as not sure whcih ones should be released.:-(

Michael Elliott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Elliott
Ultimately she did not feel there were enough customers for the "older films" as well as not sure whcih ones should be released.:-(
I'd really love to meet some of the people running these studios because in some cases it's quite clear that they have no idea about a certain market or the fans who would buy things. If Paramount, Sony, MGM and Fox are worried about "older films not selling" then perhaps they should look at what Warner or Universal does. I have a hard time believing that everyone and their grandpa is buying Warner's Film Noir Collections but not buying a noir from Paramount. I really can't see how Warner can release 1-2 box sets a month, which apparently sale, yet Paramount can't release a single title.

The "single title" problem might have something to do with the fact that some of these people don't know what they own. Paramount didn't release a single horror title last year but they've got two Amicus films (both with Cushing/Lee, two bankable horror stars) that people are willing to kill for. The same with Fox and whatever reasons they have for not releasing TALES FROM THE CRYPT. Not to mention MGM/Sony's complete dumbness in regards to their Midnite Movies line.

There are many smart people at this very forum and I'm sure any of them would be willing to point one of these studios in a better direction. It would probably also do them good to simply read what people want and read what they're buying.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
There is a whole thread about this one, but doesn't paramount control the DVD rights to THE HEIRESS? One of the great film masterpieces, and it isn't out yet.

And to think I bought that lousy 1956 version of ANYTHING GOES just to support Paramount's release of an "older" movie.

ChristopherBlig

Stunt Coordinator
don't forget the Otto Preminger classic SKIDOO!!!!!! Trailer is on YouTube to get a peek and I second the vote for The Naked Prey!!!!

And in all honesty, let's not put it in synch with a known person's new release in the movies to coincide, sometimes you gotta say what the f^&* as Risky Business once taught us. Don't tell us we don't want it... test the waters, include the trailer and see!!!! And enough of this changing of the cover too, cheapens the DVD division on so many levels

Bruce Morrison

Supporting Actor
Kevin Martinez said:
Does this mean we can nominate Paramount as "Worst DVD Studio" this year?
I think their only rival would be Universal. But I'd give my vote to Paramount. At least Universal do try to release some back-catalogue classics, even if they too often manage to find a way of screwing up in the process.

Paul Borges

Stunt Coordinator
I think Universal has been on the rise and really doing a good job. I like Paramount's releases...but there's just too few! Paramount where are you?!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks