What's new

Happy Days: The Complete Series: The Ultimate Edition? (1 Viewer)

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Neil Brock said:
Well, I think if the proposed impossible sets were done more in the vein of, "here's what I would love to see, even though I know its not likely" as opposed to, "CBS should do this", then it would read a lot differently.
So you're now saying that you think he was being smug because he used the word "should" too many times? I don't think he meant anything by it. If you want the definition of a "smug" post, go back and read post #14.
And by the way, need I point out that those extras were a "just for fun" wishlist? I think we're all aware that Paramount's never going to be able to get clearance for all those talk show clips that they don't own. And misconstruing the OP's enthusiasm just puts a pallor over the entire proceedings.
I think there can and should be (oops--sorry for using that word!) a complete Happy Days set. I don't know if they're going to be able to do it on blu-ray, I don't know if they can clear all the music and I don't know if they can afford one single extra. But a lot of people would like to see it, and that's what we should be working toward, not going back to square one due to a belief that it "can't be done." Because it can.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Ethan Riley said:
I think there can and should be (oops--sorry for using that word!) a complete Happy Days set. I don't know if they're going to be able to do it on blu-ray, I don't know if they can clear all the music and I don't know if they can afford one single extra. But a lot of people would like to see it, and that's what we should be working toward, not going back to square one due to a belief that it "can't be done." Because it can.
Define "a lot of people"? If the show was selling that wonderfully, and the money was just flowing into the CBS coffers, then don't you think they would have continued the releases? Obviously, it wasn't selling all that great. As for the music, as I've stated in other threads, the next season (#5), has tons of music which makes it nearly impossible to release. Any Suzi Quatro episode is half music. Good luck ever seeing those come out.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Currently watching Happy Days on television. The INSP(Inspirational?) network plays 2 eps back to back every day from 6-7 P.M. Season 9 is airing recently, and it is pretty good. A few complaints as I was never one to claim "shark jumping":Potsie, is a full blown idiot in these later seasons(he was never that dumb in the earlier seasons) The live studio audience can be a tad overwhelming in these episodes.
I do like the Fonzie character in these seasons. The writers seem to have toned down the Fonzie magic that was so dominant in seasons past. I look forward to watching seasons 10, and 11.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Neil Brock said:
Define "a lot of people"? If the show was selling that wonderfully, and the money was just flowing into the CBS coffers, then don't you think they would have continued the releases? Obviously, it wasn't selling all that great. As for the music, as I've stated in other threads, the next season (#5), has tons of music which makes it nearly impossible to release. Any Suzi Quatro episode is half music. Good luck ever seeing those come out.
Not even going to touch that one. Were I to respond to your statements directly, I'd end up breaking the Terms of Service for this message board, and either getting kicked off or end up having the thread locked down. Happy trolling!

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
Neil Brock said:
That's a good point - If the series WAS selling at a point where it was worth CBS to continue you it, in any form, they would have. There are a lot more series they hold with less headaches that have yet to continue (or start up!)

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
DeWilson said:
That's a good point - If the series WAS selling at a point where it was worth CBS to continue you it, in any form, they would have. There are a lot more series they hold with less headaches that have yet to continue (or start up!)
I never suggested that it was selling well. It probably wasn't. But are we confusing two different issues? Was Happy Days not selling because of a lack of interest on the part of the fans? Or was it not selling because those same fans sensed that Paramount had produced a sub-standard product?
Don't confuse a show's popularity with a dvd of that show. If the dvd is not done right, then it becomes a separate entity. If a dvd has replacement music, poor quality prints, edited syndicated prints and other problems, then it's no longer the show as we remember it. It's no longer really the show at all, and fans will avoid that dvd. As well they should.
I assert that Happy Days retains far more than enough fans to support a good dvd series or boxed set. And that's what this thread is really about; not assuming that due to poor dvd sales that people are no longer interested in Happy Days.

TVonDVDJunkie05

Second Unit
Real Name
Nick
Obviously, it wasn't selling all that great.

What proof do you have that it wasn't selling well-do you have access to sales figures or something?! CBS is very erratic when it comes to Classic TV on DVD, they do not appear to have a set pattern and just seem to release things willy-nilly. Laverne & Shirley just got a release after 4 years of nothing- does that mean that this show wasn't selling great either or that all of a sudden sales spiked and they decided to release another season?!

Another factor that may play into the decision not to release any more seasons is the recent lawsuit against CBS by some members of the cast. I am not sure if that has been resolved or not but they may have stopped releases because they don't want the cast to receive any more money (due to being ticked off by the lawsuit)- they receive royalties from the DVD sales do they not?!

I never suggested that it was selling well. It probably wasn't. But are we confusing two different issues? Was Happy Days not selling because of a lack of interest on the part of the fans? Or was it not selling because those same fans sensed that Paramount had produced a sub-standard product?

For the record, I have not purchased any sets nor will I due to the poor quality releases not because I don't like the show and am not interested in buying the DVD's. This is an iconic show and IMO has received pretty shoddy treatment on DVD. Music edits and a lack of extras are major turnoffs for me- how is it that Paramount who released season 1 was able to secure the rights to all music while stupid CBS put out releases with music edit after music edit?! If Paramount had continued with the releases instead of having CBS DVD take over, I am sure we would have gotten better quality releases- CBS doesn't bother trying to acquire the rights to the music, they just slap on those damn disclaimers and call it a day.

Jeff*H

Premium
Real Name
Jeff
TVonDVDJunkie05 said:
Another factor that may play into the decision not to release any more seasons is the recent lawsuit against CBS by some members of the cast.  I am not sure if that has been resolved or not but they may have stopped releases because they don't want the cast to receive any more money (due to being ticked off by the lawsuit)- they receive royalties from the DVD sales do they not?!
Regarding the HAPPY DAYS cast member lawsuits, it's interesting to note that Mike "Mannix" Connors filed a lawsuit about a year ago against CBS & Paramount (http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr-esq/mannix-star-mike-connors-sues-190312) regarding profits he is allegedly owed from the MANNIX series (including DVD profits). As far as I know, the lawsuit has yet to be resolved. It doesn't appear to have stopped CBS' plans to continue releasing seasons of MANNIX, however. In fact, they appeared to have fast-tracked the show to completion.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
TVonDVDJunkie05 said:
Another factor that may play into the decision not to release any more seasons is the recent lawsuit against CBS by some members of the cast.  I am not sure if that has been resolved or not but they may have stopped releases because they don't want the cast to receive any more money (due to being ticked off by the lawsuit)- they receive royalties from the DVD sales do they not?!
No, they don't receive a dime.

TVonDVDJunkie05 said:
For the record, I have not purchased any sets nor will I due to the poor quality releases not because I don't like the show and am not interested in buying the DVD's.  This is an iconic show and IMO has received pretty shoddy treatment on DVD.  Music edits and a lack of extras are major turnoffs for me- how is it that Paramount who released season 1 was able to secure the rights to all music while stupid CBS put out releases with music edit after music edit?!  If Paramount had continued with the releases instead of having CBS DVD take over, I am sure we would have gotten better quality releases- CBS doesn't bother trying to acquire the rights to the music, they just slap on those damn disclaimers and call it a day.
CBS and Paramount are the same company. Apparently at some point they decided that the costs for clearing all of the music wasn't worth it and they just took things out. It could also be due to the fact that every season after the first on just about every show only sells half the amount that season one sells.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Ethan Riley said:
Not even going to touch that one. Were I to respond to your statements directly, I'd end up breaking the Terms of Service for this message board, and either getting kicked off or end up having the thread locked down. Happy trolling!
Oh, I'm sorry that you find it so offensive when facts are posted that are not to your liking. OK, I take it back. All of the episodes that have a ton of music have nothing whatsoever to do with the release schedule or costs.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Neil Brock said:
Oh, I'm sorry that you find it so offensive when facts are posted that are not to your liking. OK, I take it back. All of the episodes that have a ton of music have nothing whatsoever to do with the release schedule or costs.
Wait a minute, now--back in your post #4, you stated, and I quote: "The cost if they would have cleared all of the music for season 2 would have been $2.4 million. And that's before Suzi Quatro started showing up and performing. My guess would be around $40 to $50 million to clear all of the episodes music. Then to license out all of the clips, probably another few million. I think $2500 is a very conservative estimate."
So now you are stating that your "guesses" are as good as "facts?" It is a fact that Suzy Quatro appeared in a whopping seven episodes out of 255. Not exactly going to break the bank, clearing the music from seven episodes. Fox somehow managed to clear several hundred songs for their Ally McBeal set and it only cost $200. They had Vonda Shepard as a regular cast member. Unlike Suzi Quattro, Vonda appeared in over 100 episodes and always sang one if not more pop tunes per episode. And the rest of the show was loaded with pop music, week after week. That's a lot of music. But Fox did it. I guess you feel Paramount doesn't have the corporate clout to cut those kinds of deals with music publishers. I don't know.
And I also pointed out that the OP created a dream list of extras; in no possible way would that they able to secure all those clips from disparate shows owned by different entities. It was just a wish list. Budgeting such a set at $2500 is still unrealistic, whether those clips are in there or not. Again--it's just a guess on your part. I thought you posted that kind of "final word" statement in order to inflame the message board. I thought you were just trolling. Since, as you say, you take it back, I accept your apology.

TVonDVDJunkie05

Second Unit
Real Name
Nick
CBS and Paramount are the same company.

No they are not, they were split apart several years ago.

Paramount now resides under the 'Viacom' banner and CBS is under 'CBS Corporation' which unfortunately is also the company that now oversees all TV on DVD releases. They are both owned by the same parent company but operate as separate entities. Classic TV releases were originally under the control of Paramount Home Entertainment but when this inexplicable splitting of the companies occurred the idiots in charge moved them to this CBS DVD outfit that is FAR INFERIOR to Paramount Home Entertainment. They put out bare bones releases without any special features, plain menus, no disc art and of course tons of music edits with no effort to even attempt to secure some or any music.

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
TVonDVDJunkie05 said:
.  Classic TV releases were originally under the control of Paramount Home Entertainment but when this inexplicable splitting of the companies occurred the idiots in charge moved them to this CBS DVD outfit that is FAR INFERIOR to Paramount Home Entertainment.  They put out bare bones releases without any special features, plain menus, no disc art and of course tons of music edits with no effort to even attempt to secure some or any music.
The split was not inexplicable - it was taking one large company, spiting it into two and creating two stronger "smaller" companies. Together,if one division was weaker than the other, it would pull down earnings and the value of shares - Sumner Redstone was smart in doing this.
Spiting the "movie"/"Cable" side of things from the "TV"/"Broadcast" side of things makes sense
Fact - a good portion of the production people for CBS Home Video WERE with Paramount Home Entertainment.
As for the music issue, it's been covered time and time again regarding costs and clearance.

vnisanian2001

Supporting Actor
Yes, and then he hired those two Tweedle-Dumb and Tweedle-Dumber people, Roy Braverman and Mark Heyes, to butcher INCIDENTAL music in The Fugitive and My 3 Sons.
I hope every single one of them is out of a job. Forever.

Sky Captain

Second Unit
Real Name
Neville Ross
Albert71292 said:
And because of licensing fees, this set can be YOURS for the LOW COST of ONLY $2500!!!!
Ethan Riley said:
Actually my best estimate is that would be somewhere in the neighborhood of $500-$600, realistically. And they'd have to move several thousand units. This is based on a dvd estimate, not blu-ray, as Ian suggests. If it were blu-ray, they'd have to go back and remaster all 255 eps as well as Joanie and Chachi, so who knows what it would cost.
I think it could happen if there were suddenly a wave of 1970s (1950s?) nostalgia, or if they do their marketing research and look into its sales feasibility. I believe Paramount thinks there's not enough interest, and they're basing that solely on sales of the existing dvds. But a lot of otherwise interested fans didn't buy those dvds, sensing that they were an inferior product. So there we stand.
Neil Brock said:
The cost if they would have cleared all of the music for season 2 would have been $2.4 million. And that's before Suzi Quatro started showing up and performing. My guess would be around $40 to $50 million to clear all of the episodes music. Then to license out all of the clips, probably another few million. I think $2500 is a very conservative estimate.
But, all that you guys have stated won't stop classictvfan91 for doing what he usually does in demanding these sets.
I think that classictvfan91 should watch some current TV shows that are great (Mad Men, Castle, Criminal Minds, Battlestar Galactica, Arrested Development, The Wire, Boston Legal, Doctor Who, The King of Queens, Community, Corner Gas, Young Justice and Oz come to mind), stop living in the past, try to deal with the present and the future that's yet to be.
vnisanian2001 said:
Yes, and then he hired those two Tweedle-Dumb and Tweedle-Dumber people, Roy Braverman and Mark Heyes, to butcher INCIDENTAL music in The Fugitive and My 3 Sons.
I hope every single one of them is out of a job. Forever.
Can you say 'Not going to happen' and 'Dream on'?

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Sky Captain said:
But, all that you guys have stated won't stop classictvfan91 for doing what he usually does in demanding these sets.
I think that classictvfan91 should watch some current TV shows that are great (Mad Men, Castle, Criminal Minds, Battlestar Galactica, Arrested Development, The Wire, Boston Legal, Doctor Who, The King of Queens, Community, Corner Gas, Young Justice and Oz come to mind), stop living in the past, try to deal with the present and the future that's yet to be.
Well, first of all, dear Neville, I don't think he was "demanding" these types of sets as much as suggesting them. I'm sure he's well aware of the realities of getting clearance for all those unrelated extras. I think his lists are fun; I don't see why you have to nail him to the wall for posting stuff like this.

tvgreats

Agent
Real Name
Jeff
"stop living in the past", try to deal with the present and the future that's yet to be.

The phrase "walking and chewing gum at the same time" comes to mind.

Believe it or not, most of us are able to deal with the present and the future and yet at the same, still enjoy rewatching the past history of television. Just like music,
a lot of us don't enjoy any new music from the last 10 -15 years or so, but still love to listen to music from decades ago.

Same thing with sports; loved the NBA from the 80's with the Celtics, Lakers, and 76ers. Now don't enjoy the NBA nearly as much; hence i have collected 100's of classic NFL and NBA sporting events from the 1970's and 80's on dvd and enjoy watching them. But at the same time, i still watch the current NFL on the Sunday Ticket with Directv.

The bottom line is eveyone has their own tastes.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Originally Posted by Sky Captain /t/320065/happy-days-the-complete-series-the-ultimate-edition/30#post_3961412

You resurrect a thread that's been dead for over 3 months to tell him to stop living in the past? LOL.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I have already issued advisories via PM where necessary.

Moving forward, I would like to see the negativity and sarcasm
in this thread cease.

If any person finds another member trying to derail this thread
with their own personal negative agenda, please hit the REPORT
button so we can investigate.

If you see someone baiting the group, don't respond in public.
Don't get yourself involved. Just hit the REPORT button and
let our Moderating team investigate.

We will lock offenders out of the thread, and if the problem
persists elsewhere, from the entire forum.

We want everyone to enjoy their browsing experience on this
forum and will not permit one or two individuals to prevent
that from happening.

I hope this is clearly understood and I apologize to members
that have stopped reading this thread because of such disruptions.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks