What's new

Hanna-Barbera Re-releases (5 Viewers)

Greg Chenoweth

Supporting Actor
Here are images from Amazon.com for two of the re-releases. One is for a certain blue dog that I know:

https://www.amazon.com/Huckleberry-...1493186538&sr=1-20&keywords=huckleberry+hound

https://www.amazon.com/Jetsons-Comp...=UTF8&qid=1493186649&sr=1-24&keywords=Jetsons

Huck S1 Image.jpg
Jetsons S1 Image.jpg

seanrt

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sean
I like the new cover art! I hope they use a better image on the Josie rerelease. I always hated that pastel-like image on the original release.

Mark Y

Screenwriter
Huckleberry Hound is now called "Season 1 - Volume 1?" But it says "26 episodes," which is all the original DVD set had. I wonder if that implies there will be a "Season 1 - Volume 2," or if it's just an awkward way of saying it's Season 1, and also Volume 1. Three DVDs, where the original set had four (one a flipper).

I imagine this will just be a re-release of what they already released before, but this is an opportunity to fix a few things...

• In the original run, the three segments rotated. Yogi Bear was first one week, Pixie & Dixie were first the next week, Huckleberry Hound the third week, and so on. But as released on DVD, the order was standardized to Yogi/Pixie & Dixie/Huck, all the way through the set.
  • Show opening and closing were missing, apart from the B&W video dubs they used on the "reassembled episodes" they included as extras -- which also repeated cartoons already seen in the main program. Without the show opening, closing and bumpers, it was essentially one cartoon after another, and because they presented the cartoons of the first season shows in their original combinations, this results in the first twelve cartoons being repeated later in the season (so going by the number of cartoons, there are really only 22 shows rather than 26). This makes sense if you have the complete shows as aired, but for viewers who don't know the show's history, the repetition was probably confusing and irritating.
  • The bumpers they added as extras -- I wonder if any better elements might have been found for some of them since the release of the original set?
Also, something else doesn't match the original airings, but in this case I'm glad it doesn't. When the cartoons first aired on the Huckleberry Hound show, you'd only see one short title card for each cartoon accompanied by that character's fanfare. The three cartoons of show #1 are presented that way in the "reassembled first episode." But they were produced with long theatrical-style title sequences including credits, which were designed to be cut off for television (there is a fade-out and fade-in before the title of the cartoon comes on). The credits on the individual cartoons were probably considered redundant when the show itself had animation credits at the end. The longer titles appeared much later in reruns, but they seem more complete to me and I'm glad they are there.

I'm not as excited about this as I could be, since I already have this. But I'm glad it's available again for those who may have missed it.

TVonDVDJunkie05

Second Unit
Real Name
Nick
Huckleberry Hound is now called "Season 1 - Volume 1?" But it says "26 episodes," which is all the original DVD set had. I wonder if that implies there will be a "Season 1 - Volume 2," or if it's just an awkward way of saying it's Season 1, and also Volume 1. Three DVDs, where the original set had four (one a flipper).

I was just going to post a comment about the volume thing but I completely missed the info below where it says '26 episodes'. I would think the 'volume 1' is a mistake, if this set contains the entire first season then it makes no sense to label it volume 1?!

I doubt very much that these collections will be any different then the originals, even though these re-releases do present an opportunity to go back and fix any issues that may have existed with the original releases. The one release I do hope is different is Jonny Quest, I read that the original release contained some edited episodes (they were edit for content, for whatever reason), hopefully they rectify this and the re-release includes the uncut versions of all episodes. If content is an issue then just slap a disclaimer on the damn package like they did with the Looney Tunes releases.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
The original Huck release also called it volume 1. Some of those around here have been asking about volume 2 for a while . . .

TVonDVDJunkie05

Second Unit
Real Name
Nick
Thanks for posting the cover art photos Greg!

I was starting to wonder if these releases are actually going to happen as the Amazon listings have not been updated and TVShowsonDVD has not posted any information about them (although these days they seem to always be last to post release info, after it has showed up elsewhere).

Sean, the cover art is the same as the original release, the only difference is where it says 'Diamond Collection'. They should have used different pictures for these releases, just to mix it up a bit.

Here are some other Cover photos I found:

91Y0%2B1MNueL._SL1500_.jpg

814TEbSGFXL._SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:

TVonDVDJunkie05

Second Unit
Real Name
Nick
I have noticed that the Flintstones, Jetsons & Huckleberry Hound releases are all listed as 3 disc sets- the original releases were all 4 disc sets. Hopefully this is a mistake and these cover photos are not the final versions so the errors can be corrected before these are released?!

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
I have noticed that the Flintstones, Jetsons & Huckleberry Hound releases are all listed as 3 disc sets- the original releases were all 4 disc sets. Hopefully this is a mistake and these cover photos are not the final versions so the errors can be corrected before these are released?!
This gives me cause for concern that these rereleases will have even more flipper discs, and/or may have compression issues. If so, this is very disappointing! We can only hope the listings ate wrong, but seeing it on the actual packaging isn't at all encouraging!

I refuse to buy flippers, as I've had too many issues with them.

CHEERS! :)

Mark Y

Screenwriter
The original Huck release also called it volume 1. Some of those around here have been asking about volume 2 for a while . . .

The set they released in 2005 says "Volume 1," but no mention of "Season 1." This one says "Season 1 -- Volume 1."

They are re-releasing Scooby-Doo Seasons 1-2? Wal-Mart still has that one for like ten bucks. In fact, I saw it when I went to Wal-Mart last night.

Mr. Handley

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul
I'll wait for the reviews before purchasing. If they are going the flipper route, count me OUT!

phenri

Second Unit
Real Name
Paul
I doubt that flippers will be used again with this new packaging, IMO. I think that these are strictly a re-packaging of what has already been released. I'd be shocked if it were anything more.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Its always surprises me that in the original broadcast version of Huckleberry Hound that the Kellogg's Corn Flakes Rooster seems to be the star of the show. As a child I wondered why the characters of Tony Tiger and Snap, Crackle, and Pop among others, who appeared hitchhiking in the end credits but never were in the cartoons. Of course at that age I didn't know they were advertisements.

Last edited:

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
I doubt that flippers will be used again with this new packaging, IMO. I think that these are strictly a re-packaging of what has already been released. I'd be shocked if it were anything more.
If that's the case, the DVDs are going to be a bit condensed on THE FLINTSTONES: THE COMPLETE FIRST SEASON set (3 discs, 28 episodes!), assuming the number of discs listed for each set is correct! I also find it a bit strange that SCOOBY DOO, WHERE ARE YOU! has more discs (4) for fewer episodes (25) that are of similar running length (Presumably in the 24 - 26 minute range!)!

CHEERS! :)

Greg Chenoweth

Supporting Actor
Warner Archive has been putting 9 to 10 half hour shows on their DVD sets. Like I said before, the sets look like they will be without bonus features. I see that TOP CAT is now up for pre-order at Amazon.com:

Top Cat.jpg

TVonDVDJunkie05

Second Unit
Real Name
Nick
Add another set to the list of re-releases:

The Scooby-Doo Movies best-of set will be re-released in June and it appears to be a carbon copy of the original release?! Does this mean that WB was unable to negotiate a deal with the celebrities that are in the remaining episodes that were not included in the original release or is this just WB being lazy?! They have released both Josie and the Pussycats cartoons so I don't see why the episode with them can't be included?!

9171WGQbXcL._SX342_.jpg

TVonDVDJunkie05

Second Unit
Real Name
Nick
Updated the release dates in the first post.

A few of the May releases have been moved to June, according to the listings on Amazon.

Also, here is a look at the cover art for The Smurfs- Season 1:

81tORUYXy0L._SX342_.jpg

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
It is my understanding that the original release of Jonny Quest had some audio edits on a few episodes.
Does anyone know if this new release has been corrected to the original as seen in the 60's?

81Kgm1-9e6L._SX385_.jpg

streeter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
The big question for me remains whether Magilla Gorilla has been fixed. If so I'd pick it up in a heartbeat.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
So far all of these appear to be straight reprints of the previous out of print versions. I don't think there are any differences other than the number of discs and type of discs used. The content all appears to be the same. I'm sure there would have been an announcement if there was something different on these.

streeter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
So far all of these appear to be straight reprints of the previous out of print versions. I don't think there are any differences other than the number of discs and type of discs used. The content all appears to be the same. I'm sure there would have been an announcement if there was something different on these.

Wouldn't the removal of special features and change in the episode-per-disc configuration require the menus to be changed? That makes me think that these are mere reconfigurations of the previous releases rather than reprints. Also, I don't recall for sure, but I thought some of these releases had a Special Features menu on each disc that would direct you to a different disc to access the special features.
But yes, I think we would have known by now if any of the previous issues (such as the Magilla theme/credits) had been fixed.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gigaspin88
Recent bookmarks