What's new

Hanna-Barbera Re-releases (1 Viewer)

TVonDVDJunkie05

Second Unit
Real Name
Nick
It appears as though Warner Bros. will be re-releasing many of the Hanna-Barbera collections that went out of print last year. I found listings on Video ETA for the following releases, which are all labelled as "60th Anniversary Edition DVD":

May 23

The Flintstones: The Complete First Season
The Jetsons: The Complete First Season
Scooby Doo, Where Are You?: The Complete First & Season Seasons

June 6

Dastardly & Muttley in Their Flying Machines: The Complete Series
Hong Kong Phooey: The Complete Series
The Huckleberry Hound Show: Season 1, Volume 1
Jonny Quest: The Complete First Season
Magilla Gorilla: The Complete Series
The New Scooby-Doo Movies: Best-of
The Perils of Penelope Pitstop: The Complete Series
Scooby-Doo Where Are You?: The Complete Third Season
Top Cat: The Complete Series
Wacky Races: The Complete Series
The Yogi Bear Show: The Complete Series

June 20

Josie & The Pussycats: The Complete Series
The Pebbles & Bamm-Bamm Show: The Complete Series
The Smurfs: The Complete First Season

October 3

The Flintstones: The Complete Second Season
The Flintstones: The Complete Third Season
The Flintstones: The Complete Fourth Season
The Flintstones: The Complete Fifth Season
The Flintstones: The Complete Sixth Season
The Richie Rich/Scooby-Doo Show: Volume 1
The Scooby-Doo/Dynomutt Hour: The Complete Series

I noticed that Top Cat & Wacky Races are listed, these 2 shows were recently re-released via Warner Archive. What is the point of the MOD releases when they are planning on re-releasing them again in retail?!

Great to see Smurfs getting a complete season release, hopefully this new set sells well enough that they start releasing the rest of the seasons.

This leaves 2 sets that were discontinued that are not listed:

Birdman and the Galaxy Trio
Space Ghost and Dino Boy

Last edited:

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Recently I noticed they were dumping some of the Smurfs dvds at a nearby Costco.

Hopefully Warner does a proper season 2 (and later) season sets.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
It appears as though Warner Bros. will be re-releasing many of the Hanna-Barbera collections that went out of print last year. I found listings on Video ETA for the following releases, which are all labelled as "60th Anniversary Edition DVD":

May 23

Let's hope this is re-released as five single-sided discs, and not the old double-sided flipper disc version.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Recently I also noticed the Scooby Doo Where Are You complete series set was being dumped at the nearby Costco outlets. (The version with a big box which looks like the Mystery Machine van).

seanrt

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sean

May 23

The Jetsons: The Complete First Season
Josie & The Pussycats: The Complete Series
The Pebbles & Bamm-Bamm Show: The Complete Series
Scooby Doo, Where Are You?: The Complete First & Season Seasons
The Smurfs: The Complete First Season

June 6

Dastardly & Muttley in Their Flying Machines: The Complete Series
Hong Kong Phooey: The Complete Series
Jonny Quest: The Complete First Season
Magilla Gorilla: The Complete Series
The Perils of Penelope Pitstop: The Complete Series
Scooby-Doo Where Are You?: The Complete Third Season
Top Cat: The Complete Series
Wacky Races: The Complete Series
The Yogi Bear Show: The Complete Series

I noticed that Top Cat & Wacky Races are listed, these 2 shows were recently re-released via Warner Archive. What is the point of the MOD releases when they are planning on re-releasing them again in retail?!

Great to see Smurfs getting a complete season release, hopefully this new set sells well enough that they start releasing the rest of the seasons.

This leaves 3 sets that were discontinued that are not listed:

Birdman and the Galaxy Trio
Space Ghost and Dino Boy
The New Scooby-Doo Movies

Of the 3, I hope they re-release the Scooby-Doo Movies but this time as a complete series set.

I too hope that Scooby-Doo Movies can get a full release.

Mr. Handley

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul
In addition to The Flintstones, the following also had at least one flipper disc in the previous sets: Josie & The Pussycats, Hong Kong Phooey and Yogi Bear (these are the only ones I own - there may be others). Hopefully they will all be single sided discs this time around!

Last edited:

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
In addition to The Flintstones, the following also had at least one single sided disc in the previous sets: Josie & The Pussycats, Hong Kong Phooey and Yogi Bear (these are the only ones I own - there may be others). Hopefully they will all be single sided discs this time around!
It was the annoying mix of singles and flipper discs that made me decide against getting The Flintstones Complete Series set. A reissue with single sided DVDs only would give me cause to reconsider!

CHEERS! :)

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
In addition to The Flintstones, the following also had at least one single sided disc in the previous sets: Josie & The Pussycats, Hong Kong Phooey and Yogi Bear (these are the only ones I own - there may be others). Hopefully they will all be single sided discs this time around!

Also one of the Superfriends dvd sets, and one of the 70s era Batman cartoon dvd sets, also had double-sided flipper discs.

The most annoying was the 90s era Superman cartoon, where the three volumes each had a flipper disc. Even the "complete series" version had three flipper discs.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Since this is apparently the 60th Anniversary of Hanna Barbera TV they should release Ruff and Reddy which was their 1st TV cartoon and the one whose 60th Anniversary this is. Or at least include one of their cartoons in each set. No Huckleberry Hound or Quick Draw McGraw re release in that list.

What is amazing about the original opening of Huckleberry Hound is that the Kellogg's Corn Flakes Chicken seems to be the star of the show.

More Advertising in the original closing titles.

Last edited:

Mr. Handley

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul
It looks like you guys knew what I meant, but I should've said each one of those sets contained at least one flipper disc (I went back and edited my original post). I hate those things so much, I can't even type the word!!!

AndrewCrossett

Second Unit
They released season 1 of The Smurfs before, but then switched over to those 6-episode (IIRC) collections. Would be great if they'd do proper season sets. I'm not ashamed to say I used to get up early on Saturdays to watch them when I was in high school. It was relaxing.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Many of us are hoping that they will re-master the two supporting cartoons for Magilla Gorilla this time and include the original opening and closing with the theme song. That will make this a repurchase for me for sure. If they did all the episodes in the new Scooby movies I would rebuy that also but I don't see that happening. All the rest I am happy with the previous releases. Flipper discs have never bothered me. Certainly not enough to repurchase something I already have.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
Most of my issues with double-sided flipper discs is playing them on standalone dvd (or bluray) players. Performance is highly variable, from skipping + freeze-o-rama to nothing weird happening.

On the computer, there usually isn't as many major playback problems.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Most of my issues with double-sided flipper discs is playing them on standalone dvd (or bluray) players. Performance is highly variable, from skipping + freeze-o-rama to nothing weird happening.

On the computer, there usually isn't as many major playback problems.
Which has always baffled me because I have well over 300 flipper discs and have played all of them (many multiple times) on blu ray, HD-DVD players and 4 different DVD players and never had a problem playing any of them. The only discs that have ever freezed on me are DVD-9 pressed discs and always at the layer change. But I have only encountered about 12-15 that did that out of 1,500 + discs. Flippers are more prone to scratches if they came loose in shipping or if they are not handled and removed from the case correctly scratches or the layer glue coming loose from pulling them too hard out of the case can definitely cause freezing issues. Also Not all players are created equal. I remember well that Panasonic players from 2000-2007 always had skipping and freezing problems reported on any dual layer disc.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
i never had a problem with any dual sided discs..except for a handful of DVD-18 Universal sets
They failed on 3 different DVD players.

Mr. Handley

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul
I've had several different DVD/BD players over the years and I haven't had too many problems with skipping and/or freezing issues. However, when they do occur, it's almost always with a flipper disc! Also, they just look so cheap compared to single-sided discs with nice artwork. Anyway, that's been my experience.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks