What's new

Handling DVD borrowers.... (1 Viewer)

KyleS

Screenwriter
I am with John J. and used to think that loaning DVD's out was just not going to happen but I thought what's the worst that could happen...The disc is destroyed and it needs replacing. So I lend out all my DVD's to friends/family, (besides non-replaceable SE's and the like) but I explain very blatantly if the DVD doesn't come back as it is then it will be replaced by a new one. Everyone has been cool with that and I have only had to have 4 DVD's replaced. They either gave me the money or a new disc no questions asked because I explained it before hand. In the last 2 years I have only had 2 co-workers who didn't borrow my DVD's when I explained my replacement policy and if they have a problem with that then I don't want them borrowing my discs anyways.

KyleS

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Amusing how the ones who are cool with lending out their DVDs are reporting "only" needing to replace four or five of the little buggers.

Look: Why should we who have spent so much money on these things be made to feel guilty by even other HTFers for not wanting to lend discs?

To each his or her own: If you want to lend every freaking disc in your collection to your friends, neighbors, co-workers, relatives, and the gardener, fine. Go ahead. But don't point your fingers at those who have a my-hands-only attitude toward their DVD libraries. Lighten up on the "I-feel-sorry-for-those-who-stress-out-over-a-measely-disc" talk.

Jay Taylor

Supporting Actor
To acquaintances that ask to borrow DVDs I just say 'not anymore'.

To close friends & family I say 'I don't lend DVDs from my collection but I will be happy to buy you DVDs or DVD prepaid rental cards for your birthday/Christmas'.

That also makes birthday & Christmas shopping easier. Even though their birthday or Christmas may be many months away, they don't bug me to borrow because for several years now we have in fact bought them VHS tapes (before DVDs were popular), DVDs or prepaid rental cards, especially as Christmas gifts.

Jay Taylor

KyleS

Screenwriter
Look: Why should we who have spent so much money on these things be made to feel guilty by even other HTFers for not wanting to lend discs?
Point is you shouldn't feel bad or Guilty Jack (& others) and I hope we are not making you guys feel that way. It's totally a personal decision whether or not you want to lend out DVD's. On the other hand I don't find it amusing that I have had DVD's destroyed or damaged by friends that borrow them. Yes they were damaged but my friends were responsible and replaced the DVD's that were harmed, and all they are material things any ways. If I wouldn't trust a friend to be careful or replace DVD's they are not loaned out. If the DVD's are not replaceable (collectors editions that are OOP and the such) then those are not loaned out as well. You have all heard the term "its only money" but that is what it is and all I ask in return when DVD's come back damaged. Heck I have had to replace a couple of discs myself that I scratched when traveling.

KyleS

Gary Hensley

Stunt Coordinator
I don't mind lending DVD's to friends and family. I always just tell them flat out that if they scratch or damage one in any way then they will buy me a new copy. I have never had any problems at all.

Ryan Wright

Screenwriter
For every DVD a person borrows, they put down a $20/DVD deposit. When they return the DVD in pristine condition, they get their $20/DVD deposit back.
And you stand to lose a friend the first time you refuse a return based on a cosmetic problem. I'd rather just tell them "Nobody borrows my DVDs, but you can come use my theater anytime" - it's easier for people to take.

My stance on this: I loan only to two people - my father, and a close friend. My parents take perfect care of everything and sometimes I think my items come back in better condition than when they left! The close friend takes better care of things than most (probably not as good as I would, but I'm the first to admit that I'm a little obsessive about it), and he would let me borrow his things if I needed to, so he's fine. As for neighbors and other people? If they hint that they might like to borrow one, I change the subject. If they outright ask, I tell them, "I don't loan my DVDs to anyone." They don't need to know that my father and my best friend aren't "anyone".

Oh, one more thing: I "streamlined" my theater by putting all electronics and discs back in my computer room. The only equipment in the theater are the speakers, the TV, and an AMX touch-screen for control. The benefits: My theater looks much cleaner, and visitors that aren't friends never see my DVD collection. Also keeps people from just picking up DVDs - someone once borrowed a couple without asking me and "forgot" to return them. I found them at his house several months later and he admitted they were mine. He had a hard time understanding why I considered this "stealing."

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks