What's new

H/K 520 or VR-6060 (1 Viewer)

Brian_Tho

Stunt Coordinator
I just found the H/K 520 online for 499.00. Thats an awesome deal.

1- Is the H/K 520 a better receiver powerwise
2- Are there still problems with this model
3- What room size do you use this in
4- Does it have dts-es,dd ex

Rick_FL

Stunt Coordinator
1. yes, it will sound much better in 2 channel stereo. H/K receivers sound much more musical than kenwood from 2 channel stereo sources.
2. maybe. most receivers have one flaw or another. Try and get a recent build, check manufacture date on the back if you can.
3. I have an avr320, 520 adds 20more WPC. my room is about 20x14. the 320 has plenty of power
4. it does DTS ES discrete and matrix, but it only amplifies 5 channels. no DD EX

Brian_Tho

Stunt Coordinator
What level do you listen to movies at in your 20x14 room. The 320 would be more in my range anyway.

Brian_Tho

Stunt Coordinator
how high does it go. Is that reference or just your normal listening. Have you had any problems with yours? video, logic 7?

Andy_SB

Agent
A local store, Fry's Electronics, recently had these on clearance at $399 (they've been dropping it every week since they started to get 525s in)... I still couldn't bring myself to buy it because I've read too many accounts of random shutdowns and problems with the Logic 7 circuitry with this particular model. Additionally, it only drives 5 channels so you need an external amp if you want DTS ES or other 6.1 formats.
Still, I rarely, if ever, see negative accounts of the sound quality put out by H/K receivers. I really waffled on buying it, but the reliability question just bothered me too much. :frowning:
- Andy

Brian_Tho

Stunt Coordinator
What do you have Andy? What size room are you in, and your impressions of your receiver?

Rick_FL

Stunt Coordinator
ref level on the h/k is -15 I believe, atleast for setting the SPL with the remote. I've had it to -10 before. The highest is goes is +8 I think. H/K receivers in general do not distort as you crank them up. Lots of clean power, then again they suck up a lot of power from your wall too

Andy_SB

Agent
Brian,
I don't think anyone would be interested in hearing my impressions of my current receiver... it's an old "digital-ready" Yamaha RX-V493. :b
I've had it for at least 6 years now and it's been great, but it's definitely time to upgrade - it can't decode Dolby Digital signals on its own, much less DTS, PLII, DD-EX, DTS-ES etc. Plus, it's 70w x 3 but an anemic 20w x 2 in the rear channels. I think (unfortunately) that it's gotten to the point where it just doesn't do my Boston Acoustic setup justice. It's destined to live out its days in the bedroom. :)
- Andy

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks