Great voice clarity... (1 Viewer)

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Brief explanation of MTM.

The centers you've seen(linked today) are all MTM. It means...mid-tweeter-mid. It causes "issues" with sound off-axis. The "completely proper" way to do 3 speakers is to(like a somewhat seriously suggested above with the Ebay linked speaker) have all three be the exact same speaker.

To do that requires you to have the space to actually do it. There is only one room in my home that has a "non-traditional"(read MTM) center. It is my office outfitted with 4 Infinity Crescendo 3007 and the remnants of a broken 3006 that I built my own center/TV stand with. I basically made a big box, internally mimicked the cabinet the 3006 originally had...mounted the drivers/crossover. Sat the TV on it.

Why?

Cause I have mad woodworking skills. And I have an enormous SACD/DVD-A collection.

FanGeo

Auditioning
Real Name
George
Ok so I did check out the speakers at best buy very nice and very pricey...So looking at HTD's website what is the draw to a level 3 vs. the level 2? I am assuming it is just the ribbon twitter? And is that what will give me the clearer voices?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Yes, the ribbon tweeter. I'm guessing you liked the Martin Logan Motion series...

Otherwise you get a 6 1/2" woofer, instead of a 5 1/4.

The cabinet itself is thicker MDF and uses 1" bracing.

So the "extra $100" (total of $170 difference) is almost no brainer.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
By the way, I've never heard the HTD Level 3 (hey product review people...I'd review them though...)

But what have I heard/owned like it?

Linaeum
EMIT (3 variations...counting my current Crescendo)
Magnepan(Magnaplanar)
Apogee

All four of those are almost sonic perfection.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks