What's new

GR-Research question for John Garcia (1 Viewer)

Blaine_M

Second Unit
John,

From reading this forum it seems you really like the A/V-2's. I'm currently debating on buying a pair of Paradigm Studio 20's, or building a pair of AV-1's. I use them in a setup that is about 60-40 movies to music. Do you have an opinion on which would be the best route to go? (I do have an SVS sub in my system)

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
:D I'm obviously biased, but I'd say A/V-1s. They aren't as sensitive, but if you are building your own cabinets, the 20s cannot come close to competing for the cash. I prefer the highs not to be so "in your face", so I much prefer the highs of the soft domes Danny uses. Still crisp, without any brighness. With midrange, there is no qusetion, the A/V-1s easily best the 20s. Bass response is pretty comparable, with the 20s going a bit lower I believe. Music is why I went with the A/V-2s, but movies really seem to benefit from their smooth response as well.

I no longer have my A/V-1s. I now have A/V-2s all the way around :)

If you're interested, I know someone selling a pair of A/V-2s in cherry for a great price (if he still has them).

Blaine_M

Second Unit
Well, I don't have all the equipment I'd need to build the cabinets myself. I was going to go with the MDF cabinet and have a family member who owns an autobody shop finish it for me....if I went that route. Total with the upgrades was going to be $526 I believe.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
$526 is still way less than a new pair of 20s, and still about the same or less than a used pair of v3s :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks