What's new

Going from a Panasonic RP-91 to a Denon 1600 for free Any thoughts? (1 Viewer)

HankM

Second Unit
I have a Panny RP-91 feeding a Mitsubishi 46805 which has been ISF calibrated. My father owns a Denon 1600 feedinga Sony Trinitron 32" TV that is approx 8 yrs old. He is willing to trade players with me. Will I see a big difference with the Denon? I'm using Better Cables Silver Serpent component cables. I have heard great things about the DCDi chip. Thank you.

Don_Berg

Supporting Actor
If your set can support a progressive (480p) input the Denon DVD-1600 would be better for you. Certainly the DVD-1600 is being wasted on that old Sony analog set since it can only input an interlaced signal. The RP-91 is great for interlaced mode, but poor for progressive mode since it is an inferior de-interlacer compared to the top-rated Faroudja DCDi de-interlacer in the DVD-1600.

David Judah

Screenwriter
There will be some DVDs that will look better with the Denon, primarily ones shot on video(where the DCDi kicks in), but for most film based DVDs the RP-91 will be better overall, IMO.

I've had both in my system and after comparing the two, I sent the Denon back. I probably won't replace it until one of the major Japanese manufacturers produce an upconverting player similiar to the LiteOn.

DJ

Kevin Korom

Stunt Coordinator
I agree, I've had both & prefer the RP91. The only area the 1600 beats it is the deinterlacing, IME.

BeatCrazy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sam
I have both.

It boils down to this IMO:

Do you watch a lot of video-based material, i.e. concert DVDs, TV shows on DVD or similar? Get the DVD1600.

Do you watch a lot of 4:3 material or older released DVDs that are non-anamorphic widescreen? Keep the Panny for it's 4:3->16:9 scaling.

Picture seems similar to me on standard anamorphic film-based material. I probably couldn't pick them apart on 90% of material.

HankM

Second Unit
I never mentioned in my original post above that my Mits TV locks into full mode when displaying 480p. Looks like I should keep the Panny.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks