What's new
World Wide Stereo

Sold my Panasonic RP-91 and No more 3D movies. (1 Viewer)

Luis M

Second Unit
I just sold my RP-91 dvd player this week and now I can't watch any of my Imax 3-D movies.
I would watch the 3-D movies just like I would any regular movie, through the component outputs directly connected from the dvd player to my Scenium HD tv, then I would feed the 3-D box with the RCA-type output from the RP-91 dvd player and the 3D box connected to the special glasses, and I was able to see glorious 3D effects this way.

I have tried 5 different players this weekend and I have been unsuccesfull with all of them, The toshiba SD-2109, the Sony DVP-S530, The Denon 2900, The Sony DVP-C650D and a Playstation II. The RP-91 has the MPG model MN67753IKA made by MEI with Genesis decintarlacers model gmvx1a-gmamfc, I wonder if the decinterlacers have anything to do with the different results but with all these different players when my tv receives the 3-D signal (through S-vhs,RCA or component) the tv stabelizes the image thus killing the posibility of getting depth associated with 3-D, Only the objects that are in movement are seen in 3-D, once these objects comes to a stop the effect is gone.

None of the players mentiones above are progressive players, only the Denon 2900 which replaced the RP-91 is and I've tried with all the different setting available in the players but no luck.

Can anybody out there explain why this is happening? and if the decintarlacer found on the panasonic RP-91 have anything to do with this? it seems like a complicated issue and one that maybe has to do with compatability between dvd players and the tv in use but very intriguing to me nonetheless. I guess Buying another RP-91 back would be the ideal step but I just sold mine in order to get the Denon 2900 player, maybe there's another player out there that's basically the RP-91 in somebody elses's clothes. the Rp-91 is still not cheap.

Any help or information will be welcome.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

greg_t

Screenwriter
The deinterlacer in the 91 is just like any other, converts interlaced to progressive and that's it, and does an average job of it. It does do non-anamphoric scaling, but that probably doesn't have any bearing on 3D movies. Also, the 91 is discontinued now, so you might pay a good price for one at this point, as most places like onecall, Crutchfield, etc, are sold out. I guess my question is why did you sell it?

Luis M

Second Unit
"I guess my question is why did you sell it?"

I sold it in order to make money to upgrade for the Denon 2900 which is giving me a better picture, not a night and day difference since the panasonic had a great picture in my opinion, audio-wise, no contest.
I never thought the dvd player would be the determaning factor to in order to see 3-D movies. I always believed the tv had more to do with it but it was already too late when I found out.

GregK

Screenwriter
Luis,

It sounds like your older Panasonic progressive DVD player switched to a pure interpolation mode when it played your 3-D DVDs and standard 60 field video. Remember that field-sequential 3-D video needs to keep it's original field integrity when it is converted over to progressive scan video. Pro-scan modes with 3/2 pulldown and motion adaptive algorithms will destroy the original field integrity and thus ruin the 3-D effect. When you try progressive scan DVD players with your 3-D discs, try the alternate progressive scan options (auto2, video, sports, etc) found in some pro-scan DVD players. One of those may be a forced interpolation mode and may take care of this problem.

Also see if your pro-scan TV has any progressive scan conversion options, and if need be, you might be able to have your TV do the conversion of the 3-D DVD (say through the S-video input) and watch standard 2-D DVDs through the DVD player's progressive scan outputs.

-Greg-

Luis M

Second Unit
I have tried every combination there is and No luck, nothing I've done made the 3D movies work on my display. Not with the Denon,Sony,toshiba players or the playstation II. Well, that's life.

GregK

Screenwriter
I sorry to hear that Luis. I helped a friend set up his home (progressive scan) theater system for field-sequential 3-D, and ended up using his Panasonic DVD video recorder, which if memory serves is the E50. The Panasonic's "video" progressive mode works best when he watches 3-D DVDs. I don't have a home progressive scan display yet, so I have not done any detailed research into which progressive scan DVD players have true 100% interpolation options. I was hoping the Sony players in their "video" mode would do this, as Sony did great interpolation in some of their Digital Reality Creation (DRC) 960i modes found in select Wega TV models.

Luis M

Second Unit
"I was hoping the Sony players in their "video" mode would do this, as Sony did great interpolation in some of their Digital Reality Creation (DRC) 960i modes found in select Wega TV models".

The two Sony units that I used are not progressive players, they are my older interlaced players and they didn't work either.

GregK

Screenwriter
OK.. things are starting to fit better now. After you sold your progressive scan DVD player, which also had converted field sequential 3-D correctly, you tried and assorted line of interlaced DVD players with no luck? ..Or were the Denon & Toshiba DVD players progressive scan DVD players?

With this in mind, please note it doesn't matter what brand of interlaced DVD player you use, ..it doesn't even have to be DVD, the progressive scan field-sequential conversion will *always* be performed by the pro-scan display device unless it is fed in as a progressive scan or HD signal.

Luis M

Second Unit
I am using The Denon 2900 as my main player, a progressive player and the 3-d movies do not work here either, the rest were all regular none-progressive players. I am wondering is some of the cheap progressive players from panasonic can do the trick?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hilogisticz
Recent bookmarks