What's new

Official Panasonic DMP-BD10 Blu-Ray player thread (1 Viewer)

Adam Sanchez

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Adam
Yeah I'll give them a call. What a pain though. It's a great player besides this. My first Blu-Ray Player. Goes great with the new TV, 1080p and all.

I fortunately do have my receipt so I'm sure that will help. Wish I could do a store switct but I'm sure it's been too long for that option. Hope Panny doesn't take forever.

Got thier number by chance?

Could me not hearing the fan be a problem? Maybe the unit never gets cooled.

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Unless you have the back of the unit blocked, Adam, I don't think not hearing the fan/possible lack of cooling is the issue. I never hear the fan on mine either.

Win, did you put off contacting Panasonic for a little while after having problems in late February? Or has it really taken them almost two months to send you some documents necessary to process before you can ship the player back to them?

Winman42

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Winston
Paul, not it didnt take Panasonic long at all. I emailed them, and they responded within a day with some things to try. Took me a bit of time to actually try what they recommended. Then I wanted to remove the unit from the rack, thinking it might be an over heating issue. it wasnt, but it took me some time to get the time to untangle the spaghetti behind my rack. I guess i should have the paperwork from Panasonic this week, so i can send the unit back for repair.

The phone number I called for PANNY is (800) 211-7262

Hours are Mon-Fri 9am-9pm and Sat/Sun 10am-7pm EASTERn time.

good luck,

Winston

Adam Sanchez

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Adam
Called in this morning, got a case number and all that.

They want me to send my unit in for repair. It's damn inconveinant to me, the service center is like in ILL! So I got to spend my own money to ship it AND be without the player for who knows how long.

I wish I had another option. How long do stores cover MFG warranties? I wish they could help me somehow. I got it at a CC store.

*sigh*

If I do have to ship it, who is probably gonna be cheaper? FedEx or UPS?

What a pain...

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz

Hey Adam, it may or may not cost you more than UPS but I would go FedEx! UPS is a joke IMHO and they have a bad tendency to damage things. Not to mention I have had problems getting things on time with UPS. I personally only ship FedEx as it gets there when it is supposed to and it does not arrive smashed up.

Winman42

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Winston
Well, i got my Panny unit back yesterday from Panasonic. I was worried they didnt fix it, because it took less than a week for it to be returned to me. Sicne i didnt have a receipt, I had to fill out some form explaining WHY I didnt have a receipt, and they had the option of refusing free service. However ,it was fixed, and seems to be playing all discs fine now.

On the paperwork included it says they replaced the DVD/BD drive.

Win

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Ugh--not encouraging to hear that a unit in use for less than a year required a total change out of the drive.

Nice that they shipped back to you so promptly. You paid to send it to them and they paid to return it? What delivery service and speed did they use (FedEx Priority Overnight?, UPS Ground?)?

Winman42

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Winston
Yeah, I paid to send it, they paid to send it back. It was shipped back via UPS 2nd Day Air.

I'm betting they changed the drive as a speed measure to get the thing back out the door. I'm also amazed that the thing broke at all, as it NEVER failed to play back any type of disc, until the day I put in the SUNSHINE blu-ray disc. That disc took ages to load, but it played. They next time I put a different disc in, the problems started. Coincidence? Dunno.

Win

Winman42

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Winston
Ya know, I was speaking to Chris Dugger yesterday, and he was daring me to put it back in. I'm really wimpy about it. I'll have to try it, but not until i get to watch a few films in BD first. I've got the following queued up for today:
Appleseed Ex Machina, Unbreakable, Dragon Tiger Gate.

Win

Adam Sanchez

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Adam
I got my player back yesterday, it was gone barely a week I'm happy to report.

The DUMBASSES at UPS left the box at my apartment front door. WTF? Good thing my neighbors didn't know a $500 Blu-Ray player was in their reach!

Though I complained about having to send it off, it did come back pretty fast and is working again. All is well. :)

Winman42

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Winston
So, did they include a sheet of paper stating what work was done? Curious to see if they just replaced your drive as well.

Win

Adam Sanchez

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Adam
One thing I thought was interesting I wanted to mention. This might not be news to anyone but me but when mine broke I admit I did take the top off and LOOK inside. I swear I didn't touch a thing. But it somewhat surprised me that the Disc drive is LITERALLY a Computer Optical Drive. Like you could pull it out of the player and stick it in a Computer Drive bay...theoretically.

Or maybe every set top DVD player has always been like this and I never knew. :)

EDIT: Sorry I didn't see your post while I was posting twice in a row. Yeah it says they replaced my drive as well.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
I did the same thing to route an IR emmitter to the receiver so I could use it with an RF remote and the drive is an IDE PC BD drive screwed to the chasis and wired to the players main board.

drbonbi

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dana Baggett
Thanks to sharp eyes on another thread, I can confirm that v.2.5 of the BD10/10A firmware was posted today! Hooray! Our player is still supported!

The link to the "front door" for the BD10/BD10A downloads for all regions is BD | Digital AV | Product Support | Support | Panasonic Global. I downloaded the North America update, burned a CD-R on my iMac and have successfully updated my BD10 for the well-known "Playability and stability" benefits. ;)

Dana

drbonbi

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dana Baggett

Nope. And I think I know why. It's the same reason Apple is so closed-mouth about software updates. It's been sued several times by product liability lawyers in "class action" suits (that typically benefit only the lawyers). If a company acknowledges that a firmware update fixes specific "issues," the lawyers sue on the basis that the company must have sold a defective player. Then, as part of the law suit, it demands disclosure of the specifics. The company in effect provides the noose by which it gets hanged.

So, we get just "playability and stability." ;)

Dana

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
I'm hoping it fixes a bug I have experienced where it sporadically forgets that I have set the player to HDMI output at 720p and resets the output to "Auto", which it usually intereprets as 1080i. My 720p projector does a pretty bad job at downconverting, so this is always noticeable when it happens.

Regards,

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I see. Thanks, Dana.

So the idea is...you do the firmware upgrade (whether you are aware of any issues or not) and figure everything'll be okay. :D

I hate to potentially upset the applecart, however, when I don't know what the problem is that I'm fixing. I'd love it if they could make some change that would speed up loading times...but I guess they are not related, eh?

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
Actually, load times have generally improved with each firmware upgrade even though nothing specific is ever promised. It falls under the "playability" umbrella.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Regards,

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks