What's new

Official Panasonic DMP-BD10 Blu-Ray player thread (2 Viewers)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Well then, Ken...I will approach this upgrade with fingers crossed that load times just might improve! :D

I am not well-versed in the technical aspects of the hardware end of the hobby and firmware upgrades are kinda new to me.

Thanks to you, too, for aiding my education! :emoji_thumbsup:

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
There is a post at AVS that indicates that the 2.5 firmware does in fact fix the problems reported with The Mummy and a few other titles.

I do not own any of the effected titles, but it appeared to be a legit post.

Brian

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
I own both The Mummy and The Mummy Returns and they have both caused major audio problems on the BD10 and BD10A. I would normally listen at -20 on my receiver but with these new Universal titles, and Doomsday I heard, I would have to listen at -40 to get the same level. In other words, it was way too loud and distorted. Even with the volume turned way down, it was still distorted. I, and others, reported it to Panasonic about 2 weeks ago and they already came out with a fix for it.... YES, V2.5 is a fix for the audio problems with the new Universal titles. Note: the problem happened with their dts HD Master Lossless audio sent either with HDMI or via x.1 analog audio.

Adam Sanchez

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Adam
Hey all,

This is kind of off the subject of the recent 2.5 update but is still about this player. Just something I have been curious about.

Is there any reason one would want to use analog cables and use the Multi-channel outputs from the BD player to thier reciever if they have HDMI?

My player is this one of course, and my receiver is a Onkyo TX-SR604. Both have HDMI so that is what I am using...but just been wondering lately if there might be any reason to use the analog outs of the BD10A.

I've noticed Blu-Ray's seem lower volume to me than DVDs and I'm not sure why that is? Guess it's just been on my mind.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Couple possiblilties:

If your receiver doesn't have an HDMI input.

Some people may like the decoding from the player better than the receiver.

Adam Sanchez

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Adam
I should mention that my reciever does not have any "Next Gen" Audio, so all the newer formats, TrueHD, DTS-Master, etc, I have set for the player to do all the work and then send it to the reciever which just considers it all uncompressed audio. That is all done through the HDMI...at least as far as I know.

I'm going to feel foolish if I HAVE to use the analog outputs for the reciever to get the audio decoded from the player...

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Pardon my lack of working knowledge on this Panny model:

Does this Panny internally decode DTS-HD Master Audio as it can do with Dolby TrueHD? If not, then DTS-HD MA BDs might benefit from the analog connection (edit: realized later that if it can't decode internally, then it can't output over analog either... duh!). Otherwise, if the unit decodes those internally to PCM as well, then I'd go HDMI if your receiver/processor has an HDMI input.

I know that the forthcoming BD30 decodes both TrueHD and DTS-HD MA to PCM internally or can leave as bistream over HDMI 1.3 per the user's choice.

GoldenRedux

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Anthony

The BD10/10A neither decodes DTS-HD MA nor bitstreams it, so there is no difference whether you use the analogue outs or the HDMI. For what it's worth, it decodes TrueHD and DTS-HD HR, but it doesn't bitsream them either. So, you can only ever decode in the player and output the advanced codecs either directly as PCM via HDMI or PCM->analogue via the multichannel outs.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Doh! Naturally if it can't decode it... then how could it convert it to analog and output it over analog? Talk about a major brain-fart on my part. Sorry!

Thanks for clarifiction on what the player can do.

;)

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
The latest upgrade includes all of the previous ones.

(Having said that, only the latest upgrade appears at the site so, unless you have an old CD from Panasonic, I don't think there's ready access to the older upgrades anyways.)

likabull1

Auditioning
Real Name
Jayson
My first post...Sorry for the newbie question. I just purchased a used Panasonic DMP-BD10 Blu-Ray player after watching many other discs with no problem I put in Ratatouille. I could not get it to load so I checked for a firmwear upgrade from V1.2 Copied and loaded per instructions firmwear North America V2.5 (movie plays) but... now all I get is a PINKISH WASHED OUT distorted screen????? Can anyone heeeeeelp me? :frowning:

drbonbi

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dana Baggett

I no longer have this player; I gave it to my son in another state so I can't check the OSD. But, it sounds like a Color Space Color space - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia issue. Are you connected using DVI? That usually requires RGB. Maybe the previous owner of the player used a color space setting that doesn't match your TV. See if you can change it.

Dana

likabull1

Auditioning
Real Name
Jayson
I connect via HDMI and everything was working fine until I did an upgrade with V2.5 any and all help would be great... ask away I will answer your questions to solve my problem!

Originally Posted by likabull1
My first post...Sorry for the newbie question. I just purchased a used Panasonic DMP-BD10 Blu-Ray player after watching many other discs with no problem I put in Ratatouille. I could not get it to load so I checked for a firmwear upgrade from V1.2 Copied and loaded per instructions firmwear North America V2.5 (movie plays) but... now all I get is a PINKISH WASHED OUT distorted screen????? Can anyone heeeeeelp me?

drbonbi

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dana Baggett

Run the updater again. It may not have been completely installed. I updated my BD10 and everything worked satisfactorily using an HDMI connection. Also, check all your player settings as some may have changed due to the update.

Dana

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
FWIW, For Your Eyes Only is a title that would not play on my BD10A until I upgraded to 2.5. The disc loaded, the main menu came up, the Fox BD screen even displayed after pressing "Initiate Mission," but the player would then interminably sit at "Now reading..."

Also, thanks Dana for posting that panasonic.jp/support "front door" link to player firmware upgrades in your post #634. Intuitively drilling down through support links via panasonic.com lands one at a different page that as of this typing still shows 2.4 as the latest fw for the player.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Here's a (probably stupid) question from a technically-challenged individual.

Is there any chance that a firmware upgrade would ever enable the BD-10 to encode DTS-HD MA?

As you might suspect, I am using the analog outs of the player for my lossless audio. I now realize that as DTS HD MA seems to be the current choice du jour for audio tracks on most new releases, I am listening to less and less lossless audio on my new purchases. :frowning:

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Mike, I think the chances are near zero. As best I recall, Panasonic confirmed that Master was right out for the BD10 a long while back.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks