What's new

Going all Digital - Apple or Vudu advice? (1 Viewer)

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
The amount I don't know is larger than I knew :)

How I link my vudu account with DMA?

If I do that, then I redeem with vudu, not iTunes, and then the movie will also appear in my iTunes account?

That doesn't seem right...but I'm really ignorant on the digital redemption system (as is apparent :) )

I can't remember if you link DMA accounts from DMA itself or the streaming service (or both) but it's in settings. And yes, when you then redeem on Vudu the movie will also appear on iTunes (and Amazon and Google Play)! See digital's not all bad ;)

Last edited:

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Ok. Good to go. Thanks all for the tips.

I went to DisneyMoviesAnywhere.com and signed in with my wife's Disney World account, which also worked with Disney Movie Rewards. Disney has a unified account system and that worked with DMA. On logging in, it asked me if I wanted to connect to other accounts. If it hadn't prompted, there's a front-page graphic in the rotation to "Just Keep Linking". I then linked to VUDU, iTunes, Amazon, Microsoft, and Verizon FIOS. (That was all straightforward with various apps and websites launching and asking me to hit OK a number of times.)

That all done, I went back to the movie redemption page I'd left open yesterday afternoon and clicked the DMA option (not VUDU or iTunes or anything) and that added the movie to my DMA, iTunes and VUDU accounts.(Haven't checked Amazon, MS, or FIOS to see if/how the movie is there.)

Neat. :D

[email protected]

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike
Yeah, remember that iTunes had a 5year head start and twin goals of UV was to weaken iTunes and kill rental to move to full ownership. Both failed. And then they never followed through on a few of their file formats and never actually made sure that if you bought a movie on one storefront that it would be sure to play in your front end of choice. And now 4K movies purchased on one storefront only transfer to others in HD or not at all.

It's a format made with goals that aren't in line with consumers and implemented by clowns.

Given that, Disney's cross walled garden solution is the least worst solution. All studios should mirror it. But if they do you'll need new logins for a dozen big and small studios, indies, storefronts, iTunes and UV itself. That's the tradeoff

Yeah, itunes was first but, we can't expect everybody to be forced to buy Apple products to use their digital library (assuming we are going all digital) I agree, Disney's system works well. The problem is, there was no reason for it. The system we need was already in place. The problem is Disney and Apple consider themselves above all the others and, at least at this time will not cooperate. I laugh at the idea of UV needing to mirror Disney's solution. UV was put together by MANY, not just one. Disney gave UV the finger...I'd return the favor.
This will not change until those that consider themselves above everybody else step off their thrones long enough to see the big picture, not just themselves...In the meantime, UV works very well thru Vudu, and those not stuck in itunes dungeon, can have all of their movies in one place, like me. I have no complaints with how it works right now for me personally, just realize we can't have this segregation in the future if digital goes main stream...imo.

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
[email protected] post: 4420406 said:
Yeah, itunes was first but, we can't expect everybody to be forced to buy Apple products to use their digital library (assuming we are going all digital) I agree, Disney's system works well. The problem is, there was no reason for it. The system we need was already in place. The problem is Disney and Apple consider themselves above all the others and, at least at this time will not cooperate. I laugh at the idea of UV needing to mirror Disney's solution. UV was put together by MANY, not just one. Disney gave UV the finger...I'd return the favor.
This will not change until those that consider themselves above everybody else step off their thrones long enough to see the big picture, not just themselves...In the meantime, UV works very well thru Vudu, and those not stuck in itunes dungeon, can have all of their movies in one place, like me. I have no complaints with how it works right now for me personally, just realize we can't have this segregation in the future if digital goes main stream...imo.

The way I look at it, the segregation of DMA and UV is fine as long as they are both available everywhere. With Vudu, once you are signed in to both services you are really unaware of them - all your movies are together.

I think if the studios wanted digital sales to take off they would play hardball with Apple, Google, Amazon, etc, and say if you want to license our product you need to join our preferred digital distribution method. I could see some of them playing but not Apple.

Last edited:

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
The studios and digital retailers have to keep doing what they're doing. They can tweak it a little (like Disney has done with their DMA program) but ultimately, in 2016, more people are renting than buying (as used to be the case before DVD) and the choice for most consumers isn't "do I buy it here or there", it's "do I pay for it at all or do I download it illegally, which is generally still easier and faster and more convenient?"

That's the ballgame now, as it is in the music world - getting people to pay anything for something that they could easily acquire for free. You will never convince most people that illegal downloading is the same as walking into Wal-Mart and leaving with your pockets stuffed with stolen goods. The only thing you can do is try to make paying in some small way cheap and convenient enough that people won't want to go through the hassle to do anything more. That's why Redbox is $1, cable company VOD is easy, why Netflix is super popular, why iTunes can survive just fine as it is outside of UV, etc, etc.

We who purchase movies for physical ownership have always been a minority. The only time it didn't seem that way was during the DVD boom, because at that time, it seemed cheaper and easier to buy a disc for $10-15 than it did to drive to the store to try to rent something that they might not have carried in the first place, or might have been out of stock if they did, or would have required a return trip if it was available. And once streaming rentals became viable, with no requirement to leave the house, less expensive than purchasing the disc, and always in stock, that was the end of that. Ownership was never the desired norm for the vast majority of consumers.

[email protected]

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike
The way I look at it, the segregation of DMA and UV is fine as long as they are both available everywhere. With Vudu, once you are signed in to both services you are really unaware of them - all your movies are together.

I think if the studios wanted digital sales to take off they would play hardball with Apple, Google, Amazon, etc, and say if you want to license our product you need to join our preferred digital distribution method. I could see some of them playing but not Apple.

I agree....have been saying that for years.

[email protected]

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mike
Because it's in Apple's best interest not to? And their customers interest for them not to?

Apples best interest not to...ok, perhaps but, "And their customers interest for them not to?" I couldn't disagree with that more...This would be a big WIN for their customers....not sure how you could spin it otherwise.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Because it would weaken Apple's strength. Apple customers benefit from Apple being at the top of this hierarchy. Only Apple puts customers ahead of studios needs.

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
FYI Vudu just released a new iOS app that lets you AirPlay HDX. It's not all titles yet but it's a heck of a start and it makes using only an Apple TV much more feasible...

Last edited:

twobelowpar

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ryan
I've tried to AirPlay HDX movies in my Vudu library and the experience was miserable. It buffers, the app closes, and it's an awful way to enjoy a movie. So I end up firing up the Roku like I always did when I wanted to watch a movie I had in UV but not iTunes.

Cranston37+

🇺🇸
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick
One of the Vudu engineers posted this on their forums today... :):):)

IMG_0125.jpg

Last edited:

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I hate iTunes for movies as if you do not have apple tv or an apple device you not going to be able to watch the movie on your tv. I have three episodes of the newer Battlestar Galactica Season 4 and I am not able to stream it from my pc to my TV. I have entered my ultraviolet codes on Vudu but even that is irritating as I have been having audio syc issues with Vudu! The video looks fine and my connection is more than fast enough so even if I use Vudu to watch something I end up hitting stop and putting my disc in anyway! I do not have buffer issues as my connection is 150mb/s up and down but audio syc issues drive me crazy. Besides iTunes not doing 4K and having to go out and buy an apple tv or some other apple product is not appealing to me. And people wonder why I would rather buy movies on a physical format. Freakin streaming still has it issues and at least if my internet goes out I can always put my disc in and hit play without issues like I get with streaming.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks